The 1970's....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I were just talking last night about seed burns on our clothes back in the day. I haven't ruined a shirt since I started growing my own.

never ruined a shirt from seeds, never really bought weed with seeds where im from its not very common, but back in the day i didnt own a t shirt that didnt have hashholes we use to call them

dman1234 said:
never ruined a shirt from seeds, never really bought weed with seeds where im from its not very common, but back in the day i didnt own a t shirt that didnt have hashholes we use to call them

I remember reading the "Drug user check list" that was posted at a job I worked once:

1. Eyes red and partially closed

2. Small burn holes in chest area of clothing

Yep, that was half the shirts I owned and my eyes stayed red and half closed. I guess no one read that crap or they woulda had me!

I started smoking regularly before i turned 18....smoked the same mexican...12 to 15 dollar an oz.....seeds and stems and all.....It got me plenty high....smoked swag all my life except for the times when I quit. I might of smoked some of the really good stuff maybe 5 times in my life...the longest I quit in my life was from the time i was 24 till about maybe 44, then off and on a little over the past 8 years.

but scince I started to grow my own, about 6 years now I haven't had to buy any.....theres a big difference in the taste and smell, now with the new stuff and it's a lot harder to put it down because the quality is much better...out of the last 65 plants I've grown i found only one whiteish imature seed.....thats pretty darn good....oh yeah i've popped a few seeds in my bowl back then too...The old stuff always made me feel like I was tripping a bit.....I never had good social weed like I can get today....I sort of wish I had a wider choice back then, i'd probly of choosen a different strain.....somrthing i could function on....

I was heavy into the scene in the 70's and smoked a lot (or should I say way to much) of commercial mexican brick weed. Some was good, but none was great. I smoked it like people smoked cigarettes.
Occasionally some Columbo Gold, Jamican, Hawaiian or Thai would come around and be exceptionally good.

I had to quit smoking in the early 80's for work. For 18 years I jonesed for a joint. I would love to roll joints for friends when I visited them. Lost that job in 2000 and the first thing I did was buy a 1/4 oz. I was surprised first by the price and second by the potency. All though I hadn't smoked for a long time, two hits was all I needed, and most times that is still all I need now.

I just finished my first official store bought seed grow of Nirvana Northern Light and it is great. Everyone I turn on to it is taken back by how good it is.

I do think todays stuff is stronger. But most is a mix or hybrid of 2 or more strains. Maybe that has something to do with the potency.

Side note to this; I visited an old friend to catch up with and turn him on to a bud of my NL. He pulled out an old box from back in the day that had all his old bong, pipes etc. AND he had bags of seeds I had given him about 35 years ago.

A huge zip loc bag almost full with old school Mexican Oaxacan seeds. And a few other small envelopes with maybe 100 seeds in each marked; Colombian gold, Kono gold, and Hawaiian. I remember each of them being excellent smoke. I took some of each to see if I can get a few to germ.

I have been trying different methods to get them to sprout. So far no luck.
With the few I have left, I will try to do direct into some dirt and see what happens. Then I will be able to judge once and for all the puzzling dilemma of how good old strains were.

One more side note to this; I had only smoked weed one time before I joined the army and it did nothing but give me a headache. Then I joined the army and was sent to Germany where hash was the drug of choice. Seems like everyone but me was smoking it. Then one day I decided to try it and I loved it. I was totally ripped on the stuff for the 2 1/2 yrs I was there. I ended up shipping some home. When I got home and turned my buddies on to it they were devastated. We were smoking pipe fulls of the stuff, not like they were used to smoking hash in little tiny pipes. They soon named me the Hash Hound, which is why I use the name today. As good as all this high tech weed is, it still doesn't compare to the good Afghan black, Nepalese, Moroccan or Lebanese red I had back then. The quest for hash goes on.

If I ever do get some to germinate I will definitely start a journal.

SNF.jpg

Not possible to compare. Since at that time it was always hash. Lebanese Red, Paki Black, Moroccan Gold, and once in a while the legendary Nepalese Temple Balls, man there has never been anything stronger than that opiated black hash...

Nepalese Temple Ball is the stuff ... Bought 20 gr two years ago and loved it ... A king size of powerplant and nepalese is something very worthy and a little strong :D IMO.

I still have tshirts with hashholes :eek:

I started smoking in '67 when pot was $10 an ounce. Once in a while I would get lucky and score some 'laughing pot' which was great. I kinda miss the old days of passing a joint around with friends and still be able to maintain. Nowadays, after all these years I still sometimes dont pace myself and end up passing out in front of the tv. I used to get busted by my mom when she'd see my t shirts with small burn holes. Who doesnt remember the joints popping in your face when an occasional seed would explode?

I too remember the ten dollar lid. My mom was so sweet, she would embroider daisy's on my shirts and the burn hole was the center of the flower. She thought the burn was from smoking ciggs. It was the day of flower power. lol

Man don't know where you guys lived from back in the 70's, but in the midwest an oz cost ya $20 bucks. Allot of seeds and stems back then.... and the quality pales in comparison to what we can grow/consume today imo :cool:

My first joint was rolled in wheatstraw papers, I grew up in the eastbay,in Cali, Friday nights we'd drive south to dacodo ? place south of Hayward and buy 5 dollar matchboxs, as much weed as could be pressed in the little box for wooden matches, I got busted for indoor cultivation in march of 66, there's something about germinating a seed that just does it for me, I don't know, I went for a extended stay on the Rio balsas (border between Michucan and guerro states) in mexico in 68, the're home grown was so sweet, I ended up at a place called bahia petalco, I think it meant bay of pelicans, I was about 50 miles north of alcopulco, but no roads down the coast, when we ran out of road we set up camp on the beach and stayed a month before leaving there, I went into barns, where the mj was baled like hay!!! 60 kilo bales for 220 dollars, The best smoke I bought was in a place called Playa Azul, This guy actually grew some sensimian, not 100% seedless but close, but he would pull the males prior to pollinization, That was the best fishin trip of my life, by the way, when i got in trouble and went to DUI classes, they devoted a night to MJ, washington state claims that the highest THC level ever found from testing was from a indica strain in Whatcom county, local legend has it that the strain was developed on Vancouver Island, but came from afganistan, it was the stinkyest!! Anyway I don't think seed production hurts the smokability and high, just a hassle

SKAGITMAGIC said:
Anyway I don't think seed production hurts the smokability and high, just a hassle

Growers of seeded marijuana for smoking or hashish production collect vast quantities of seeds that fall from the flowers during harvesting, drying, and processing. A mature pistillate plant can produce tens of thousands of seeds if freely pollinated. Sinsemilla marijuana is grown by removing all the staminate plants from a patch, eliminating every pollen source, and allowing the pistillate plants to produce massive clusters of unfertilized flowers.
Various theories have arisen to explain the unusually potent psychoactive properties of unfertilized Cannabis. In general these theories have as their central theme the extraordinarily long, frustrated struggle of the pistillate plant to reproduce, and many theories are both twisted and romantic. What actually happens when a pistillate plant remains unfertilized for its entire life and how this ultimately affects the cannabinoid (class of molecules found only in Cannabis) and terpene (a class of aromatic organic compounds) levels remains a mystery. It is assumed, how ever, that seeding cuts the life of the plant short and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol the major psychoactive compound in Cannabis) does not have enough time to accumulate. Hormonal changes associated with seeding definitely affect all metabolic processes within the plant including cannabinoid biosynthesis. The exact nature of these changes is unknown but probably involves imbalance in the enzymatic systems controlling cannabinoid production. Upon fertilization the plant’s energies are channeled into seed production instead of increased resin production. Sinsemilla plants continue to produce new floral clusters until late fail, while seeded plants cease floral production. It is also suspected that capitate-stalked trichome production might cease when the calyx is fertilized. If this is the case, then sinsemilla may be higher in THC because of uninterrupted floral growth, trichome formation and cannabinoid production. What is important with respect to propagation is that once again the farmer has interfered with the life cycle and no naturally fertilized seeds have been produced.
from mj botany.... it doesn't question "if" sensi' is more potent, but does try to explain "why" it is.. ;)

Don't forget all the shirts with burn holes from exploding seeds :hubba:

early 1970's my 1st bud was $20/oz of regular mex. bud, then in the late 70's I had the pleasure of smoking some colombian gold, it was kick butt all the way.... but after recently growing Landrace Colombian Gold, it is not what I had smoked in the late 70's, however this Gold is even better than what I smoked in the 70's.... reflecting back to the time I smoked the CG, it may have been called that but was a different strain, I'm thinking skunk#1, cuz the description of Skunk it's cross w/CG, Afgani and Mex. Acapulco gold... so I have placed an order for 5 feminized seeds.... perhaps I can match it up to that smoke I had in the late 70's... i have never smoked Skunk#1 yet.... so we will see

Also someone mentioned smoking Europian Hash in this thread, imo it is the supreme high... the stuff we would get over there actually came from Turkey and was always laced w/opium, you could actually see the white streaks running thru the hash.... it cost $20/piece, about 2-3 grams I think... a piece would last me a week if I kept it to myself, 2 days if I shared w/my buddies... of course I shared all the time...

:holysheep: story time

Back in the early 70's while in the Army I was stationed in Germany. I won a fist full of dollars and a few iou's one night playing poker... when I went to collect on one iou, the guy had just received/opened up a care package from his buddies from the states, the package included 2 oz of mexican bud.... I got one of the oz as payment on the iou... I also just got my hands on 2 nice size pieces of hash... being well stocked for the moment, Charlie company was put on alert status that very day.. so we went right to our alert location into the field in France, I was in the Signal Corps, so we were way out there in the boonies.... normally we are given a few days notice before we performed field operations, but when it is an alert status you just go, no time to get well stocked....anyway w/dope in hand.... I and about 200 other guys are setting up our rigs and the word was no one had any dope to smoke, no one except me that is, which I kept to myself..... needless to say I did shared w/my closest friends, but it had got to the point I could not even go take a dump, eat, sleep w/o a dozen guys following me and watching every move I made.... we spent 3 weeks out there in the woods in France and every 6-7 days they would allow us to rotate from the field to a nearby British Air base to shower, grab some cigs, beer/booze, snacks and such.... of course I got to drink all the free beer I could pour down thanks to my closet friends.... lesson to be learned, always be prepared.....:cool:

hell I don't even ride my fatboy w/o a few doobs on hand, never know who you are going to run into.... :hubba:

The bud I grow these days is far stronger than what I smoked in my youth, but I can't get so blasted any more. I think, frankly, it's the poor old brain can't get so high these days.

leafminer said:
The bud I grow these days is far stronger than what I smoked in my youth, but I can't get so blasted any more. I think, frankly, it's the poor old brain can't get so high these days.

I believe there is some truth about what your saying, but the bud is far more potent today then it was yesterday, and it still kicks my butt. I do an average of 2-3 doobs per day, but I'll take a break from the routine, don't smoke for a day or so,

then I'll blaze up, BAM!!! :holysheep: ...... stoned again

Hick said:
from mj botany.... it doesn't question "if" sensi' is more potent, but does try to explain "why" it is.. ;)
I don't question that its more potent by scientific standards, but the mazzar I grow, if you compare smoking the seeded to the sensi, it's real hard to feel a difference in the effects, That goes for the BLZ i just grew also, the stuff I seeded gets me just as baked, as the girls with no seeds, I can't really tell a difference in the taste or the high, I'll test this out tonight, I've got some brains coming over 35 years younger than my burnt out noggin, i'll roll a few joints out of a seeded plant, they will definetly let me know if the quality's slipping, dang kids.

I dunno...always smoked great bud. Only got seeded stuff when I was broke, but was always plenty of good old hippie guerrilla growers about that produced some skunky funky.
So no real comparison. It's all gooood.
:48:

I do know that you get no where near the same amount of hash from seeded pot(after the seeds have been removed) as you do from Sensi pot.

Latest posts

Back