Tin Foil/Alfoil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokingjoe

What was I saying?
Reaction score
Lack of reflectivity when compared with mylar I get.

Creation of hotspots I get.

What I don't get about the reason people don't use alfoil/tinfoil is the purported fire risk; how can this be so; considering it's designed application is continual heating at +/- 200 degrees centigrade.

I've had sheets of Alfoil in the oven covering grill trays for ever and they've never caught fire.

Can someone shed some light on that for me?

Hello Joe :)

The reason is that it has a possibility of focussing the reflection onto a pinpoint like a magnifying glass and could start a fire, it is also able to conduct electricity if it touches anything live.

I have never ever heard of a fire starting that is caused by metalic foil.

:peace:

smokingjoe said:
Lack of reflectivity when compared with mylar I get.

Creation of hotspots I get.

What I don't get about the reason people don't use alfoil/tinfoil is the purported fire risk; how can this be so; considering it's designed application is continual heating at +/- 200 degrees centigrade.

I've had sheets of Alfoil in the oven covering grill trays for ever and they've never caught fire.

Can someone shed some light on that for me?

Actually I have never read of anyone cautioning against using foil because of the fire risk. I have only read this warning about people using foil type wrapping paper. I would also think that the electrical conductivity could elicit some concern (although everyone's grow room should be protected with a GFI).

LOL--anyone who has ever thrown foil into a camp fire realizes that it does not burn.

what is a good place to buy mylar at?

a good place to buy mylar or similiar is any hydroshop or a plant nursery

trea your grow room as the Code advises for a bathroom. good posting Goddess!

I am using alfoil/tinfoil in my grow spot and my plants are going great and it is way cheaper the Mylar is expensive

420 stoner said:
I am using alfoil/tinfoil in my grow spot and my plants are going great and it is way cheaper the Mylar is expensive

While foil may look like it reflecting the light, the fact is that it is not a very good reflector of light.

"Aluminum Foil: Aluminum foil is no more than 55% reflective - if used, make sure that the dull side is the one that is used to reflect the light. When it becomes creased its reflectivity is even lower (around 35%.) It is also very dangerous to use because it creates hotspots easily, is electrically conductive, and is a fire hazard when it is in close contact with HID lighting. Attaching this to walls is a pain and usually using aluminum tape or glue is the best way. This should only be used as a last resort, and even then its usefulness is questionable.

You would be better off with flat white paint.

Flat white paint: Self explanatory; a great option for large grow rooms or for people who are interested in a low maintenance wall. Flat white paint has the ability to reflect between 75-85% of the light, and does not create hotspots. Adding a fungicide is recommended when painting. Glossy and eggshell whites not reflect light as efficiently as flat white.

This is taken from a sticky in the grow room section:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969

The only way I could see tinfoil starting a fire would be if it came in contact with an electrical circuit and heated up like a light bulb filament which could start a fire.

Latest posts

Back