to share, or not to share....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loolagigi

UP UP AND AWAY!
Reaction score
ok, before i start...i believe that if you give..bud/beans/clones to someone it makes the world a better place. thats being said, lets get back.
i have been growing for a few years now. i hav a younger brother who has followed my footsteps. i have taught him about dwc and he has had one decent grow. well, a few monthes back i told him to go on hd and pick out a few trains and i would have them shipped with my strains. he said,"i just want clones from yours". now i spent 300 bucks on my seeds, plus the time and research to make this all happen. he does no research, just riding my coat tales, which is fine exept. when i would have him get me street bud he would over charge me, or always find a way to make a buck. i feel like im being too giving, and being taken advantage of by now. i just sprouted my four strains i recieved and hes just waiting for me to veg them so i can give him clones. now, lets say i charge him for the clones...i dont want to hes my brother, but he needs to learn on his own. his parents,{we have diff moms}, has always covered his butt even though he is an adult now.
what do i tell him withought him crying about it? am i wrong? i dont feel like i should give him clones when he puts forth no effort, but at the same time i want to keep things cosher. let me know, i have been pondering over this for a while and dont know what to do. so i came to the best place on the planet. Loola

Give him 2 or 3 clones, tell him if they die he pays for the next ones.

i dont like that answer, lol i almost wanna say,"i paid 300 for genetics, go buy your own". but i dont know, hes a super cry baby i have given him clones in the past of bagseed....when is it up to him to grow his own?

If hes got the spot to grow, draw the line, give him a few clones, hes family. Let him know he needs to make a mom out of one.

i feel hes ready for me to cut the ambilical chord

Loolagigi Is there no way that you can explain to him that you put alot of time,effort, and money into strain hunting and that your not gona just give handouts??

I hear you sayng hes a cry baby so does that mean he wont be receptive to any criticism??

Let him know the work that goes into your whole grow, including the cost. Then tell him if he wants to continue to recieve the bennifit of your experience he's gonna' have to kick in some cash or start helping with the grow. There's nothing wrong with requiring him to contribute or cutting him loose. As far as his crying to your parents...that's what younger siblings do if they think it will help thier cause.
Best of luck.

loolagigi said:
i dont like that answer, lol i almost wanna say,"i paid 300 for genetics, go buy your own". but i dont know, hes a super cry baby i have given him clones in the past of bagseed....when is it up to him to grow his own?

Okay so i will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Tell him NO and to buy his own.

Hello loolagigi :)

My view is different.

You have given him knowledge, it is now up to him to use it.

If a young sibling is always given things, they never grow up.

He has the tools and advice from you, it is now his turn to become non childish and grow up.

It may be tough on you emotionally, but like You and I, we had to take that step and do it ourself.

Close the door and tell him he is no longer a child, it is his choice if he cries like a kid, it is also his choice if he takes that step we all have taken.

:peace:

You have to make your own decisions, but I am a person that is happy to share what I have. I trim off more bottom branches than I can possibly clone. If I had someone that I could pass them on to, I would feel good about that. I would much rather pass them on to someone who wants to grow than have them end up as compost or shredded into the trash.

lets put it this way.....he grows dwc like me...we live close....he wont buy a ppm/ph meter...he wants me to go over there to check it for him....thats where i am. i have enough on my plate. maybe hes cheap and lazy? god it kills me, if he was not my brother id tell him to piss off, lol.

Perhaps you also need to take a look at the fact that you have gone out of your way to baby him. You were the one who told him to pick out a couple strains. It's real easy for him to spend money when it aint his. Perhaps next time you guys could go in halves, or each pick a couple strains, then trade clones back and forth. Always make it some kind of trade-off. Example: I have those clones ready for you to pick up, I need for you to bring a bag of weed for me when you come. If he asks you to pay for the weed, then charge him the exact same amount for the clones. Its definitely a fine line you will end up having to walk, but in the end he will eventually thank you for it.

erwinsweeney said:
Perhaps you also need to take a look at the fact that you have gone out of your way to baby him. You were the one who told him to pick out a couple strains. It's real easy to spend money when it aint yours. Perhaps next time you guys could go in halves, or each pick a couple strains, then trade clones back and forth. Always make it some kind of trade-off. Example: I have those clones ready for you to pick up, I need for you to bring a bag of weed for me when you come. If he asks you to pay for the weed, then charge him the exact same amount for the clones. Its definitely a fine line you will end up having to walk, but in the end he will eventually thank you for it.
when i told him to pick a few out, they would have been paid by him. i pay for mine, you pay for yours...then we can trade clones.

thanks everyone for your responses. its tough when its family.......i will have to think some.

yeah, see he likes to sell it. and if i give him free genetics he hasnt "earned his keep". it takes $ to make $. i dont grow to sell, but if i get in a jam ill sure get rid of some to friends. we live close to each other, and if he has the same genetics i have nothing unique!!!!!!!!!!!
i feel like yelling"GET YOUR OWN DAMN GENETICS"!

I think you should charge him a nominal fee like 5$ a clone...for 2 reasons..one it costs you a lot of money and you are raising a baby..
two people respect things they have to pay for more..I give free clones to a friend that has yet to buy any food for them...ticks me off. I often wonder if he would care more about them if he had to earn them.. I think if he (your bro) didnt have an owe it to me attitude it would be different. tell him to buy his own meter that is rediculous him using you that way. now if he can make a call and ruin your life you may just want to give them free...would he do that to you?

2Dog said:
I think you should charge him a nominal fee like 5$ a clone...for 2 reasons..one it costs you a lot of money and you are raising a baby..
two people respect things they have to pay for more..I give free clones to a friend that has yet to buy any food for them...ticks me off. I often wonder if he would care more about them if he had to earn them.. I think if he (your bro) didnt have an owe it to me attitude it would be different. tell him to buy his own meter that is rediculous him using you that way. now if he can make a call and ruin your life you may just want to give them free...would he do that to you?
he could, but would he? it would be a bad idea for him. lol. his nephew is here, and also he grows. hes not thanks dumb, but thats for asking. 5 bucks is not what i would charge, prob more like 25$. guaranteed females with roots....cmon. all you need is one to clone more off of.

then I wouldnt say much about it just that you have to do it that way or you cant afford to buy the cool strains you do..also dont tell him when you ordering in the future or your costs.. lol bring it up next time you buy an overpriced bag from him...

if you really don't want to share.. "sorry bro, i'm having troubles (or hearing of troubles) cloning these genetics, it may be wise if you just bought some of your own.. i wouldn't want you just waiting and hoping on these"
done.

i personally like to freely give cuts to friends, as they ALWAYS return the favour when they get something special (nothing beats getting a phone call "hey man, i just got some X cuttings, you got room?")

i like the idea of free-trade with marijuana, but i can understand how you feel.. it's a fine line between being generous and being used. if my friends just kept asking for cuts and never tried to clone their own, basically just relied on me i'd probably get annoyed too.

good luck man, tough spot.

Latest posts

Back