Trailing roots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callawave

AKAW!!
Reaction score
I’m using an eight pot Wilma system and I’ve just noticed while doing a nute change, that my root system has grown down through the bottom of the pots, along the drain channels and are trailing about 4 or 5 inches into the sump.
They look white and healthy, but is that OK? :eek:

MindzEye said:
As long as they arent clogging anything they will be fine, NFT systems get roots all through the drain channels and work fine...
Thanks MindzEye :D

You can trim the roots as they run for the drains. They will follow the nutes even if it means committing suicide. Roots aren't very bright. You can cover the drains with screen but they will clog that even easier. I've cut 2"-4" balls of white root mass from drains and the plants don't seem to notice; aside from redoubling their suicidal efforts...

What is a Wilma system? I may sound really ignorant but I don't remember hearing about it before.

Thanks for the information.

Good smoking everyone!

DonJones said:
What is a Wilma system? I may sound really ignorant but I don't remember hearing about it before.
Thanks for the information.
Good smoking everyone!
There you go Don.
I've nothing for comparison but I'm really pleased with it. It's a doddle to maintain and was pretty cheap too.

8-pot Wilma system.jpg

Ah, so it is kind of like a WaterFarm system only it uses drip stakes/tube instead of a drip ring and a mechanical pump system and a common reservoir rather than the air siphon type pump and semi separate reservoirs or in my case totally separate 5 gallon buckets.

Thanks. Good smoking and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Latest posts

Back