Transfering Plant From 18oz Cups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowinGreen

♥ ςticky icky
Reaction score
Right now I have 2 seedlings growing in 18oz cups with a hydroton medium that I will transfer into 2 gallon hempy buckets when they are the right size.

(Picture of one of them)
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106708&d=1238293078

Now I have never used hydroton before and the weight of it makes me worry I might hurt the roots when I try to remove them from the cup. Do you think this would work to get them out?

If I get a tub and fill it with water and then slice down the cup four ways with a razor blade- then dunk the cup into the tub of water- all the hydroton should float at top right?

The water in the bucket wouldn't need to be pH'ed would it? They would be going right into the 2 gallon buckets.

i think the roots are grown into it, you may want to transplant whatever is clinging to the rootball and everything, rub the taproot the wrong way and the plant will let you know, trust me.

Don't use a razor blade, you might cut the roots. Cut cup if you need to above the hydroton and gently pull the sides of cups apart. you should be able to just turn the cups upsidedown and the plants will slide out. Take care to do as little damage as possable

hmmm I didn't know the roots could grow through the hydroton ...is this true?

I think the bucket of water will work good... I can imagine it separating the hydroton very nicely- the pieces not connected will just float away. And this would be really easy on the roots.

Whoa.. I've not done but a few hydro grows, but in my experience I have never seen plant roots grow into hydroton. I seen envelope and it not want to let them go, but for the most part, I just tipped the net cup and the hydroton rolls right out.
Never had a problem before...
Are you not just repotting into more hydroton? I wouldn't bother picking any out. I'd just tump out what tumps out, pull the plant, and transplant. Perhaps I'm a little to rough, but again..

Ive never seen this growing technique before. How do you water the plant? I would think the roots would just dry out without any kind of mist or water constantly keeping the roots moist. Do you have a hydro system or are you just growing it with hydroton in a cup?

DirtySouthernAfficionado said:
Whoa.. I've not done but a few hydro grows, but in my experience I have never seen plant roots grow into hydroton. I seen envelope and it not want to let them go, but for the most part, I just tipped the net cup and the hydroton rolls right out.
Are you not just repotting into more hydroton? I wouldn't bother picking any out. I'd just tump out what tumps out, pull the plant, and transplant. Perhaps I'm a little to rough, but again..

Thanks DSA, yeah I will be transferring them into 2 gallon buckets with hydroton medium as well after they grow in these cups for awhile- trying to decrease the time it takes for them to reach the reservoir in the 2 gallon buckets- I have some going right now that I started in the 2 gallons and they started really slow... I'm hoping this speeds the process up.

Here are the buckets they are being transferred to:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103469&d=1236625838

maineharvest said:
Ive never seen this growing technique before. How do you water the plant? I would think the roots would just dry out without any kind of mist or water constantly keeping the roots moist. Do you have a hydro system or are you just growing it with hydroton in a cup?

Hey maineharvest- I just water them once a day with pHed water and they do fine. The hydroton holds the water pretty well- and if you look there is a hole about an inch up from the bottom of the cup- this creates a little reservoir that will hold the water. Roots can get dry and actually makes them grow and search for more water lower down- so it actually isn't a bad thing.

The idea is from "hempy buckets" if you google it you will get a lot of information. These are just basically mini hempy buckets

These plants will be transferred into 2 gallon buckets- but the same idea. A bucket filled with hydroton with a hole 2" from the bottom to create a reservoir. This process is considered "passive hydro" because you have to do the watering- but I enjoy it.

I am using these cups to merely try and speed up the process of growth and root formation.

Buckets to be transferred to:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103469&d=1236625838

Here is one of the plants I started directly in the 2 gallon bucket- initial growth was slower than I liked- but it does look nice:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106707&d=1238293078

Check the grow in my signature for more pics if you want.

I would use a big thing of water. Dip the cup in the water and flood all the hydroton out holding the plant carefully. I'm sure that would work and release most if not all of the hydroton without doing any damage to the roots.

NewbieG said:
I would use a big thing of water. Dip the cup in the water and flood all the hydroton out holding the plant carefully. I'm sure that would work and release most if not all of the hydroton without doing any damage to the roots.

I think so too- I will definitely try it and post back how it works.

Hamster Lewis said:
Well did it work??:)

haha Whats up man? well I really wish I could let you know.

But currently they are only this big:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106708&d=1238293078

And before transferring, I want to wait for them to get this big:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106223&d=1238039923

So it should be a couple weeks probably (bummer!), I was just thinking way ahead.

But for an independent study I did this year- I had to get the roots out of pots of soil in order to record the root biomass for 24 different plants! I used this same method. Took each planter dunked it in a tub of water, held onto the stem, gave it a soft jiggle- all the soil floated and easily separated from the roots. I did all 24 plants in about 20 minutes without damaging any roots. So I am basically 100% positive this will work well with hydroton- just curious if anyone else has done it this way.

maineharvest said:
or are you just growing it with hydroton in a cup?
I have actually thought about doing this though- mainly after seeing these pictures!

16oz Plastic Cup Grows:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10461

------

16ozGrow.jpg

close.jpg

100_8785.jpg

NJG 011.1.jpg

GrowinGreen said:
hey Lewis and everyone- I just wanted to let you know I did this method and it worked really nicely, I definitely recommend it for people using hydroton! I also just posted information and pictures in my journal- so check it out if you want, there is a link in my signature. Peaceee
Hey GG... thanks for lettin me know...very cool... and thanks for stoppin by my GJ's from time to time... much appreciated...

Latest posts

Back