using "char" in your soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishboybug

Reaction score
ok guys, saw this on the discovery channel or a channel like it. this guy was trying to figure out how the myans or incans, can't remember, had such bountiful crops and could supply so many people with food from such a small plot. they went back to the old civilizations and saw that vegetative growth was much better in certain areas than in others. so they started taking soil samples and found out that these ancient civilizations were using "char" in the soil. apparently they would take coals and ash from burning their trash and wood and till it into the soil where they had their gardens which in turn enriched the soil with other properties that weren't there natually. my question is...has anyone ever tried using the charred wood from a fire in with their soil?

thanks

i think this is the same as potash, but im not sure,
i have heard of this though but i havent tried it yet.

last year i collected a bunch of ash from a fire pit that had only been burning wood, but i forgot about it and i think the bag is still sittin in my garage.

someone here will know.....

Charcoal.

hXXp://transectpoints.blogspot.com/2007/02/charcoal-amended-soil-for-real.html

:peace:

this is used/burnt charcoal ...dont go throwing in fresh briketts:rofl:

HippyInEngland said:
Charcoal.

hXXp://transectpoints.blogspot.com/2007/02/charcoal-amended-soil-for-real.html

Thanks for the useful link HIE! :eek: I followed your link and did a bit of reading on the subject...

Dman... in the articles that I read, rather than ash they were using ground up hardwood charcoal and mixing it with perlite and some type of root inoculant and spreading it over the top soil in fields or top dressing the soil in rows of plants. It's the lump hardwood charcoal that you can buy... "cowboy" charcoal. It might be an interesting experiment to pulverize some of it up and mix it into the soil for vegging some clones to see what happens.

Maybe it would give the buds a slightly smokey BBQ flavor and make you crave a side of cole slaw with your joint! :rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
Maybe it would give the buds a slightly smokey BBQ flavor and make you crave a side of cole slaw with your joint! :rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

:rofl:

motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Make-Biochar-To-Improve-Your-Soil.aspx ive done this in garden for 2 yrs & yes it makes a world of difference.

Latest posts

Back