Using Molasses And Sugar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebest

Reaction score
Okay, a lot of people are talking about using sugar and molasses in the water. I can see why it would help. But I am not getting an acurate way of distributing it to my plants. What I want to know is, how much sugar/molasses to water ratio. When you use it, is it with every water? also Co2, I know you can use carbonated water. do you just spray it on the leavs? or do you actually use it to water. I thought i was just the leaf feed. Could be wrong. Anyone that can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

i use 1tsp. per gallon of water for molasses. i dont know about the sugar dont use that..

if your not sure about the molases theres a product called sugar daddy i use its great easy to use and it puts wieght and flavor into the buds i use it all thru flowering with a 2 week flush:cool:

When you use molasses, remember to use unsulfured Blackstrap molasses. This is very rich in secondary and trace minerals. It also helps to chelate your other nutes so it makes them more availible to your plants roots. It also feeds the benefical bacteria in the medium which also helps to protect and feed your plants.
Lastly it is a great yield and flavor enchancer.

I use 1tsp a gallon. Mixes easily in water, and have a neutral PH to it.
Only use for my soil grow. althrough im convinced Koolbloom and alike
is watered down mollasas.

I use Grandma unsulfured mollassas. $2.99 a bottle a grocery store.
Alot cheaper than "hydro additives" sweetners at $20bottle for watered down mollasas.

IMO, it gives the bud kinda soft creamy sweet taste. Love it.

its not considered feeding. so you can use it everytime you water.

I just started using BlackStrap Mollasses today cause Im putting my plants in flower so hopefully it will make my buds tasty and huge! :D

Are you supposed to wait for flower to mix it into the water?

i used it on 1 plant my entire last grow, and my buds swelled up at a 3-1 ratio over the others not getting it. this grow, i use it on both of my white widows each time i water...

thebest said:
Co2, I know you can use carbonated water. do you just spray it on the leavs? or do you actually use it to water. I thought i was just the leaf feed. Could be wrong. Anyone that can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

There are two ways actually. one, is adding the CO2 directly to the water, and the other is relasing oxygen using an oxygen tank (as gas) into your grow area/tent.

I personally use liquid oxygen. If you want your tank/water to be CO2 rich, which is always a good thing for your plants, you should add the liquid oxygen to the water. the proglem with liquid oxygen, is that it breaks and dissolves really fast and you'll probably wanna release just a bit at a time.

The ideal way to do that, is using an oxidator and an oxygen stone.

I would start by buying a 1 ltr bottle of 'Growth Tech Liquid Oxygen' and and oxidator. You put the oxygen in it, and then the oxidator at the bottom of your tank. You'll need to refill the oxidator around once a week (depending on the size of your tank).

Then, you'll probably wanna test your water oxygen level. you can do so using a test kit such as 'Growth Tech Liquid Oxygen Test Kit'. most stuff could probably be purchased at the growthtechnology website or via other online shops. (or you could ask at your local hydro shop).

oxygen and Co2 are utilized differently by the plants. Co2 is taken in through the foilage, and is a part of the photosynthesis, oxygen is released or produced during photosynthesis.
Photosynthesis is the conversion of carbon dioxide and water into a sugar called glucose using sunlight energy. Oxygen is produced as a waste product.
Photosynthesis requires carbon dioxide, water, light energy,chlorophyll.
Photosynthesis produces glucose, waste oxygen.
The roots require oxygen.The primary way plants use oxygen is through their root cells.So impregnating your water with oxygen is a valid process. Plants 'do' use oxygen for "repiration", but in very small amounts, and primarily during the dark period.
hxxp://extension.oregonstate.edu/mg/botany/respire.html

In aerobic respiration, plants use free oxygen, usually from the air, for chemical reactions that release energy from organic substances; sugar and oxygen react to produce carbon dioxide, water and chemical energy. In photosynthesis, carbon dioxide and water react in the presence of light energy to produce sugar and oxygen.

During the day, according to "Botany: Principles and Problems," by Sinnott and Wilson (McGraw-Hill), both processes occur in the leaves, but photosynthesis proceeds more rapidly than respiration, and the carbon dioxide produced in respiration is immediately used in photosynthesis; excess oxygen from the photosynthesis escapes into the air.
.. hxxp://www.nytimes.com/learning/students/scienceqa/archive/950912a.html

why not yeast? and sugar and water, check my forum in DIY forum, you will see, hope I Helps it makes buds taste SWEET!

oxygen and Co2 are utilized differently by the plants. Co2 is taken in through the foilage

C02 can also be fed directly to the roots ;)

Runbyhemp said:
C02 can also be fed directly to the roots ;)
It can?/ .. but is it beneficial in the root zone ?? I've only understood it being used in the photosynthesis process, in the "green" part of plants.

Well, the manufacturers of C02 tablets claim that the plants benefit greatly from them (they would anyway) That's about all I know really.

I'll try to see if I can find out some more.

These simple, and inexpensive, tablets are specially developed to replace the complicated and expensive Co2 fertilizing systems used until today. Growth stagnation of plants is often caused by a shortage of carbondioxide; in badly aired spaces this shortage can be dramatic.

With CO2 Tabs you can offer the carbon dioxide directly to the roots of your plants and significantly increase the speed of growth. Only healthy plants will be able to effectively use this extra input. The tabs release the C02 in the water and thus stimulate the growth. Healthy plants can absorb many times more of this important nutrient Co2 as is available in the air.

Attention: Adding C02 short before the dark period doesn't give any results! During the dark period the plant doesn't absorb any CO2. The tabs bond the Co2 about 4 to 6 hours to the offered water.

Application: When your plants (or cuttings) are healthy you can use 1 tablet per 250 liters of water. In hydro systems you can also simply add the tablet to the barrel. Overdosing is neither harmful nor useful. If you want to add the CO2 Tab instantly, first dissolve it in a cup of water (gently crush the tablet with your finger in the water) and mix it with the water that is intended for the plants. Apply twice weekly for optimal results, and preferably during the whole growing cycle of your plants.
That's what it says about the No Mercy C02 tablets.

hp://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-11/dnl-trl112003.php
hmm.. this article seems to say that plants absorb Co2 from the atmosphere, and deposit 'carbon' into the soil as a by-product. But I cannot find a single citation, showing or saying anything about it being either beneficial or absorbed through roots.. ??

Latest posts

Back