Utah Voters Approved Medical Marijuana, Now State Lawmakers Want A Rewrite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From NPR
Utah Voters Approved Medical Marijuana, Now State Lawmakers Want A Rewrite
VLVXLNDZCBDRXOICT4R5LYU3FM.JPG

December 1, 2018

Utah lawmakers are getting ready to meet in a special lame-duck session on Monday to rewrite a medical marijuana law that voters passed this November. Patient advocates are saying the move is an end run around voters.

For the past year, Julie King, the mother of four from Saratoga Springs, Utah, has been a vocal proponent of medical marijuana after she discovered she has an adverse reaction to opioids.

Over the summer, King was diagnosed with a subset of sarcoma, a rare form of cancer. "Cannabis is an option for me for this very rare, very highly recurrent cancer, and I want it as an option," she says.

She, like thousands of Utahans, signed onto a citizen-led petition to put medical cannabis onto the ballot this November. The initiative, called Proposition 2, passed with nearly 53 percent support, but not without controversy.

In early October, a coalition of Republican lawmakers — joined by doctors, some pro-cannabis advocates and leaders in the Mormon church — announced that regardless of whether the measure passed, they would draft another version of the law shortly after the election. This version, they said, would address concerns about public safety.

"I think we are trying to strike a strong middle ground on how we deliver for patient access, medical marijuana, in a safe way and also protect the public from unintended consequences," said Utah House Speaker Republican Greg Hughes at a press conference announcing the deal.

Those unintended consequences include, he said, keeping the drug out of the hands of children and opening the door to recreational pot like in neighboring Colorado and Nevada.

The new bill, released just before Thanksgiving, narrows the list of qualifying illnesses and tightens the distribution, sale and format of the drug.

Julie King has read the new legislation, all 187 pages and says she's not a big fan. Among her concerns is that the bill was mostly crafted behind closed doors, excluding patient advocates, and conceded to demands from opponents like the Mormon church, which has a large influence on Utah's politics.

In the newest version, King would qualify for a card as a pain patient but would have to make her case before a "compassionate use" board.

The rewrite has become so contentious that two of the main patient groups that helped launch Proposition 2 have split — one in support of the deal, the other threatening to sue.

During the bill's only public hearing, more than 70 people signed up to speak, mostly in opposition. Rocky Anderson, representing the two patient groups, Together for Responsible Use and Cannabis Education and the Epilepsy Association of Utah, said it was a capitulation to the opponents of Proposition 2. "This is not a compromise piece of legislation."

Connor Boyack, a leader of the pro-medical marijuana group, Utah Patients Coalition, thinks critics are overreacting.

"I operate from reality and not fantasy." He says while he wishes the legislature would leave the measure as is, that's not going to happen.

"The Legislature has the full authority to repeal an entire ballot initiative if they wanted to. That's kind of why we entered into these negotiations in anticipation of their trying to gut what we had done in Proposition 2," he says.

Much of the criticism surrounding the overhaul is related to involvement by representatives from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which objected to Proposition 2 but are now backing the compromise.

Gov. Gary Herbert, who plans to sign the bill, has defended the church's seat at the table.

"I think certainly the LDS Church has influence because most of the people of Utah, the majority, happen to members of that church," he said at a news conference this month. "But you could say the same thing if you were in Massachusetts about the Catholic Church."

He said the deal they've struck will allow the state to control access and quality of the drug in a more medical setting.

"I don't know why anyone would be opposed to this," said Herbert.

Julie King says she is and she'll be bringing her daughter to the state Capitol on Monday to watch lawmakers.

"I kind of jokingly said to her, 'I'm going to show you how Utah politics works. A bunch of white guys in suits are going to stand up at a podium and they're going to congratulate each other.' "

King says the latest version of the bill would create a pecking order for patients, something she's not sure she has the time to deal with.

"Honestly, I tried to fight the process the right way — to get it medically and legally — and the reality is, if this revision passes the way it exists," she says,
"I'm going to have to access it illegally and face the consequences."

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/01/6723...-marijuana-now-state-lawmakers-want-a-rewrite

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-utah-medical-marijuana-20181203-story.html
Utah voters approved medical marijuana in November. State lawmakers just passed big changes to the ballot measure

By AP
Dec 03, 2018
| Salt Lake City
Lawmakers in Utah passed sweeping changes Monday to a voter-approved medical marijuana ballot measure under a planned compromise that secured the support of the influential Mormon Church but sparked a backlash from pot advocates.

Supporters of the compromise cheered the vote, saying it would help suffering patients while creating safeguards against broader recreational use.

“I believe this agreement was a landmark day for our state, and we are helping people,” said outgoing Republican House Speaker Greg Hughes, who sponsored the legislation and helped bring together the players for talks.

The plan for changes was announced before election day as part of a compromise that won the backing of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The changes ban many marijuana edibles, prevent people from growing their own marijuana if they live far from a dispensary, and narrow the list of eligible medical conditions for which the drug can be obtained.

Smoking marijuana wasn't allowed in the original ballot measure and won't be under the new version.

Democrats argued the ballot measure's passage with 53% of the vote showed people wanted it as written, and they proposed leaving the original language intact.

Republicans overwhelmingly voted down the idea.

“We're rushing this. It's bad public policy and it's sad,” Democratic Sen. Luz Escamilla said.

The original legalization measure passed Nov. 6, putting Utah on a list of more than 30 states that allow medical marijuana.

Opponents say the changes create major obstacles to patients who want to get the drug and cut the number of locations where it would be available.

“It's an almost complete disregard for the will of the people,” attorney Rocky Anderson said.

Opponents plan to sue to block the compromise, said Christine Stenquist of the group Together for Responsible Use and Cannabis Education.

She and other medical marijuana advocates went to voters after years of trying unsuccessfully to persuade conservative legislators to pass a bill, and the groups cleared a high bar to win a spot on the ballot.

Compromise supporters, though, argue it's an improvement on the original and won over mostly Mormon lawmakers who have historically been reluctant to support any form of medical marijuana.

“For me to approve even this compromise is a huge step,” said Republican Sen. Allen Christensen.

Some medical marijuana advocates also supported the agreement.

The Marijuana Policy Project praised the Monday vote, saying the revised measure is “undoubtedly inferior” to the ballot measure, but the vote on election day may have failed without the compromise.

“It's now time to move forward,” Deputy Director Matthew Schweich said in a statement.

State law allows the Legislature to change the language of laws passed by voters.

“We have the right to override what the people do by initiative,” said Republican Rep. Merrill Nelson, although he noted “we don't do that willy-nilly.”

Opponents of the plan criticized the compromise negotiations held largely out of the public eye, and said they were an example of the Mormon Church exerting its influence on public policy.

And the government wonders why the people hate them.

A shining example of the aholes who form governments. Disgraceful and so disrespectful. They're the same the world over. Votes & money.

Latest posts

Back