Watts vs. Yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old blue said:
With that being said, would a 1k be even better than the 600? Because if i'm buying a new light, there isn't much price difference between the 600 and the 1k. I know that heat is the big issue with more watts, but i'll be running a dedicated outside inlet and exhaust running thru an air cooled hood, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. And i also have about 9' of ceiling height to move light around. Btw, i'm still not sure if i'll use 4x4 or 4x5 floor space. I want 4 big plants.

When talking about lighting, more is generally better, if you can control the heat. I think a 1000W is the best choice for a 20 sq ft space.

I recommend going with the 1000 watt hps for flowering. The difference in price to buy is not much. The 1000 watt bulbs are easier to find and cheaper than the 600. I have both a 600 and 1000 in my garden. The 1000 will fill your area better and give you more penetration. I am only running one light right now since I don't need to grow many plants right now. I have 3 large plants and one smaller plant growing right now. I have had as many as 20 growing under a single 1000 in a sog with excellent results.

The 600 will put out more lumens per watt than the 1000... therfore more light using less energy....no brainer in my book... I have a 600HPS in a 4X4.... does quite nicely....

New_2_Chronic said:
The 600 will put out more lumens per watt than the 1000... therfore more light using less energy....no brainer in my book... I have a 600HPS in a 4X4.... does quite nicely....

I see ur point, about more lumens per watt. BUT, the bottom line is, the 600 still produces ALOT less total lumens. So, for an extra $40, u get 55,000 extra lumens. i think it'd be a lil foolish not to purchase the 1k, as long as it can be vented enough.

horizontally, a 400w covers a 22 inch radius[44 inch circle], a 600w will cover a 33 inch radius[66 inch circle] and a 1000w will cover a 53 inch radius[106 inch circle] The depth of a canopy it will effectively grow is equal to the radius when the lamp is suspended above a level canopy

When I say wasted, I simply mean the lamp could cover more than the 4x4 area horizontally :hubba:

by surrounding the lamp vertically and horizontally, you could increase the depth of the canopy with the same 400w lamp

im growing in a closet box dem. 20'' - 29'' - 52.5'' and i have a 600 watt mh/ hps. i calculated the square feet at 3.89 is this correct? and i also calculated my watts per square foot at 154 is this bad? as its 3 times the minimum amount? and my box without anything done to it yet no exhaust, intake, lights, stays at 74.7 degrees and 41% humidity how hot do u think the light will make the room if i have 2 4" dampers for intake and a 6'' vortex 449 cfm exhaust?

Latest posts

Back