What color are my Trics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmmeyer

Reaction score
First grow jitters here, big time. Bagseed grow, 8 weeks of 12/12, CFL 212 watts actual, 600 watts replacement. To add to my confusion, I'm not sure if I've attached the pix correctly.

The second pic is a close-up of my trics. What I think I'm seeing is mostly white, with a few trics here and there with a very slight amber hue to them. I would like a good dose of couch-lock in the bud. Should the amber color in the trics be more pronounced that what I have now? Or is the slight amber hue what I'm looking for?

12 weeks (8 flower) 1.jpg
12 weeks (8 weeks flower) 5.jpg

Nice looking plants! Good job!

It will be WELL worth it for you to get a 30X microscope from somewhere to get a REAL close up look at those trichs. Take my word for that. You can really see all of them and control the high much better.

I'm seeing a lot of cloudy trichs-having a hard time seeing amber.

AG

wmmeyer said:
Should the amber color in the trics be more pronounced that what I have now? Or is the slight amber hue what I'm looking for?

Yes, the amber color in the trichs should be more pronounced for what you are looking for, the heavy couch-lock effect.

However, the type of high is also heavily dependant on the strain and not just the color of the trichomes.

I would give her at least 12 weeks. I suggest making an assesment at week 10 and then going from there.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have the RadioShack 60-100x pocket 'scope, but can't seem to take a pic thru it.

I guess my confusion is what does "amber" look like? Should I be getting some dark amber eventually, that is easily recognisable as "not white"? If ya look real close ya can sorta see a few trics that have just a very faint amber hue to them. That's not what I'm looking for, right? Remember, first-grow jitters.

AG, thanks for the kind words on the girlie.

Hey there. The plants look great. Nice work so far. I've attached a trichrome chart. If you want a couch-lock type of high, wait until most of the trichs are amber. Hope this chart helps you. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

colortrichs.jpg

By looking at the pistils alone, I'd say you have at least another two weeks. The pistils haven't begun to wither yet. Of course, it's the trichs that you want to go by. With your microscope you should be able to tell when it's ripe.

The Radio Shack microscope does a fine job of magnification, but some find it difficult to determine color of the trichs. That scope gives off a yellow light that makes it hard for me to distinguish between the yellow light and an amber trich.

Thought I'd add my two cents here- looks like a sativa or sativa dominant plant you have there. You could easily have another 4 weeks to go- and even with that, you're not going to get the true couch lock high of an indica.

Good job, though. Looking good.

wmmeyer said:
I guess my confusion is what does "amber" look like? Should I be getting some dark amber eventually, that is easily recognisable as "not white"? If ya look real close ya can sorta see a few trics that have just a very faint amber hue to them. That's not what I'm looking for, right? Remember, first-grow jitters. quote]

I understand man, just curing my 1st grow-you learn so much on your 1st!

They will look like mushrooms with amber caps when you consider them "amber". You'll know it for sure when you see it. I think you're like me-I WANTED to see amber so bad I couldn't wait. I even harvested a plant early "just in case I didn't really know what I was looking at". Brother, you will KNOW amber when you see it. There won't be a hue, you'll look at the little mushroom and the cap will be almost brown!

I agree with BBFan though-those leaves look long and thin, and a Sativa is more of a head high.

Good luck bro.

AG

If you have an extra $40-$60, you ought to look at an EyeClops Bionicam. You can magnify 100X, 200X or 400X and look at the image on a small screen kind of like digital cameras have. You can take a pic of what you see too-it saves the pic on a USB stick that you can put in your pc and upload. They're pretty neat-I should be a paid spokesperson, I talk about them so much. I couldn't do crap with a handheld microscope before I got one.

The Radio Shack microscope does a fine job of magnification, but some find it difficult to determine color of the trichs. That scope gives off a yellow light that makes it hard for me to distinguish between the yellow light and an amber trich.

Ahh, yes, thank you. That makes perfect sense and I believe is what was causing my confusion.

They will look like mushrooms with amber caps when you consider them "amber". You'll know it for sure when you see it. I think you're like me-I WANTED to see amber so bad I couldn't wait. I even harvested a plant early "just in case I didn't really know what I was looking at". Brother, you will KNOW amber when you see it. There won't be a hue, you'll look at the little mushroom and the cap will be almost brown!

You're absolutely right about "wanting" to see amber pretty bad. Thanks for your input. That takes some of the "mysticism" out of it. I'll try to be patient. With mostly cloudy, I should start seeing some amber pretty quick though, right?

Indica? Sativa? Nah, its bagweed. Synonymous with "pot luck". :D :D :D

Thanks to everyone for the input and kind words.

AG, I've done the same thing regarding waiting for amber trichs. I almost always harvest with only a few amber, because I'm afraid that I might be waiting too long. Besides, I'll pick the buds if the trichs start degrading, even if they don't look amber to me.

you can selectively harvest some of the lower buds and as you see the trics start to change,if you are looking for that lock feeling you will have to let them do there thing for 10-14 days,the most important thing is getting used to the changes,you did great,now enjoy,no reason to rush,you have waited long enough,thanks for the pics,good luck,good growing

based on the date of your pic you have a ways to go depending on strain? Those are some juicy but early pics.
7/25

they look clear for long term to me.

september 15 at earliest

that one plant you show in a pot sucks.. is that bud you posted a fake?

Don't waste my time I don't want to have to look it up.

EDIT: WARNING! Kids comedy and satire is dangerous and should only be left up to the professionals. NEVER! try this at home.

Terminal Head Clearance said:

Hey, THC,

How ya doin'? Smoking some good stuff there?

based on the date of your pic you have a ways to go depending on strain? Those are some juicy but early pics.
7/25

they look clear for long term to me.

september 15 at earliest

"september 15 at earliest"..RIDICULOUS...... (" Bagseed grow, 8 weeks of 12/12, CFL 212 watts" ) August 15.."maaaybe"..

"Don't waste my time I don't want to have to look it up."... my advice,.. stop wasting your time posting insulting remarks...

I had no intention of insulting anyone..

I may have been joyfully joking.

I would not intentionally insult anyone

No matter how retarded or crippled or Jewish they were.

or short.

:rofl:....

Lanolin

sk#1 x pure sativa.

seeds are F1 an uniform im not adverstising cause I'm not selling

wish I could share

The old columbia red bud before the war..... alcapoco gold.. thai stick.

this cross has the panama red kick your ***.

I'm skunk #1 and a princess. stand back.

and it was true.

Im starting a breeding

run.. run or you may be bred

run now!

I've chopped all the males in my area

.Yup .. eliminated any more pollination known about.

Took the hermis out couple days ago ...

Had a strong male I liked and used him

Latest posts

Back