What kind of light for a small grow box?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonerman

Reaction score
Hey, I have a small shelf thing that I have transformed into a grow box. It has kind of odd dimensions: 21.5" x 15" x 22.5" (L x W x H).

I relise that this is pretty small, especially the height, but I plan on doing LST or SOG and use shorter, wider pots.

I was wondering if a 150 watt HPS would give me too much heat issues in this space, or if I should just stick with lots of cfls.

The box has a small hole in the bottom and a small cheap fan blowing out a hole near the top.

Thanks!

Runbyhemp said:
CFL's would be more suitable for a box that size.

Thanks! I was kind of leaning twoard CFLs because heat scares me a little and I also already own several CFLs. A mixture of color spectrums is better for flower than just using one spectrum correct?

Maybe down the line a little, I will build a better box so that I can use HPS.

hey, get you 2 42 watt cfl daylight, and maybe 4-6 26 watt soft-white cfls that would be perfect for you!!!! i think

gettinggray1964 said:
hey, get you 2 42 watt cfl daylight, and maybe 4-6 26 watt soft-white cfls that would be perfect for you!!!! i think

Cool, Thanks! I already have six 26 watt 2400K , and two 26 watt 5000K. I'm not exactly sure of the lumens, but I believe that they are around 1300 each. I will go check out some 42 watters at Home Depot later on today.

Should all the light be at the top or should I make some side lighting? Also, my box is painted flat matte white, is this good enough reflection or should I invest in some mylar?

i would get some y's to put your cfls in put like your 42 watters on top in like a 10 inch reflector and have your 26 watters all around your plants. white is fine for reflection.

Any thoughts on putting the plants out on my balcony in direct sunlight for a little while each day? Only thing is that the sun is intense and the temps are in the low 100s where I am at.

and in your box you really don't want the temp. to get any higher than 80, if at all possible. you will need a fan to keep air circulating and to strengthing your stems of your plants!!!

gettinggray1964 said:
and in your box you really don't want the temp. to get any higher than 80, if at all possible. you will need a fan to keep air circulating and to strengthing your stems of your plants!!!

Thanks. I have a couple of small fans, one is stuck through a hole near the top of the box to move air out and I have another extra one I plan on blowing on the plants. I may go get another one as well.

Latest posts

Back