what type of ventilation should i use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrocktoker

Reaction score
the area im in is 22in wide,5 feet long,and 8ft high.its a closet and i ducted the central A/C into this closet,but it only comes on when the a/c is on and i have a couple fans moving air in there.im currently running a 70 watt hps and my temps at there hottest are 82F.last night i installed a 400watt hps and with the a/c on it ran at 85F but without a/c it got up 98F and almost killed my girlie in a span two hours.what type of exhaust fan do think will be suitable for my area?or any other ideas that will be helpful.
any exhaust or intake that i add must be done through the ceiling and out into the attic.

You're gonna need some heavy duty exhaust fan in that area. I have a 400 hps in a 3x2x6 tent and its a job to keep below 95. Luckily my plants seem to enjoy the heat however. Right now I have a cooltube with a cheapo 105 cfm computer fan made into an inline fan sucking from room and exhausting into framing of wall. 2 small intake fans on bottom and it still hits 100 with tent closed up so i'm stuck with it staying open as well as my closet door. I have a 220 cfm squirrel cage fan on the way that will hopefully end my problems. However with the a/c you MAY be able to get by with just the computer fan dealie as when I turn a/c down down and blow in with fans it drops rapidly and stays low for a while. Regardless you will need some kind of exhausting out of the room. You say you can go into attic which is pretty perfect, pipe your exhaust straight up and into it. Depending on your budget you can either go with a squirrel cage fan, got mine for 65 bucks on ebay, or go the high class way with a good inline fan from any hydro shop like a vortex. Those start closer to $150. Having never used either I can't give a whole lot of help so hopefully someone else comes along. Good luck!

you need a centrifugal fan or fans, with one hooked to the duct where the a/c comes in and one over the exhaust with that little of wattage u should be able to get two 4 inch fans. if you don't plan on running an air cooled hood for the 400 just make sure you have good exhaust and intake running and good circulation. Leave your intake and exhaust on a timer to come on with the lights, even when the ac is off the intake will pull cold air off of the condensor as it stays cold for a long time.

No matter what you MUST have proper exhaust and intake and that sometimes means spending cash on proper equiptment. Elicient makes a good fan as does hurricane, and sunleaves although the sunleaves are a little loud for what they are. Anyways any questions feel free to ask.

Did you know a "lint trap" with a little window screen makes a good intake filter and helps keep lights clean???????

a bathroom/kitchen exhaust fan works good too, and only $25.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU MAKE SURE YOURE REFLECTOR HAS TEMPERED GLASS TO CAPTURE THE HEAT YOUR LAMP PUTS OFF, ADD A GOOD INLINE FAN AND VENT OUT YOUR ATTIC, MAKE SURE YOU RIG SOMTHING UP TO REPLACE THE AIR BACK. IT IS VERY VITAL THAT ANY AIR VENTED OUT IS ALWAYS REPLACED BACK YOU CAN'T JUST RELY ON THE AC VENT, IF YOU COULD BUY 2 GOOD INLINE FANS ( 2 OF THE SAME ) 1 FOR EXHAUST AND ONE TO REPLACE THE AIR.
IT CAN ALSO HELP A LITTLE TO HAVE A SMALL FAN POINTING @ THE GLASS ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR REFLECTOR TO COOL SOME.
I HAVE SOME PICTURES ON MY JOURNAL THAT MAY GIVE YOU SOME THOUGHTS BUT MINE IS NOT IN A CLOSET.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOME AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GROW. KEEP US POSTED :aok: :aok: :aok:

i think im going to build a cool tube and run it from outside the closet and vent into the attic.ill use a 2nd inline fan to exhaust air inside the room also to the attic. whta do ya think?im hoping for 80-85 at the max.

Hmmmmm. you can build a cool tube by purchasing a pyrex round loaf bread maker off ebay.

also, that is a reallllllly narrow space to grow. your not going to be able to get very many plants in there so i might consider reducing some area and venting into that space.

you can draw air intake from the base of the deadspace (should be cooler) and then vent the exhaust from light and room into that space as well.

Just focus where your light is used most effeciently and grow for quality not quantity. you can get a lot of bud off one nice plant. and the smoke will be 5 times better. you don't want A LOT of FLUFFY bud. you want qualtiy dense buds.

allgrownup,you said it right im going for two plant in this space and quality is priority no.1.

Latest posts

Back