What's the down side of an early harvest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LMAO.... Yeah, I have smoked good pot. Somewhere between 1968 and now, I probably stumbled on a joint or 2 of pretty good stuff.

Actually, this strain wasn't bad for a number of years. It suddenly started dropping a few years back. Maybe after 40 years my receptors found a balance with this pot. LOL In any event, it's time to move on.

Problem is, all the good pot you buy these days is homegrown and seedless. Trying to find good seed is impossible. I finally broke down and sent some cash to Attitude. We'll see what happens. Some good seeds would put me right back on track.

LOL--As an old time smoker, I can tell you that the pot of today is so much better than anything you could get in the 60s and 70s, and even into the eighties (unless you lived in Humbolt county), that there is no comparision. Getting good genetics is a wonderful way to get you back on track. And as already mentioned, you do need more light. Along the same lines, most of us veg 24/7. Marijuana is in a class of plant that does not need a dark period--it will grow (not stretch) all the time the lights are on and other needs are met. When a vegging cannabis plant is in a dark period, it tends to stretch and actually extend veg time. Stretching results in less bud sites. More/bigger lighting will help immensely....and then we will probably need to talk about ventilation. I remember when I went from fluorescents to a HPS. Wow!

What did you order from Attitude?

We had some pretty good stuff back in the day but it was very rare. Most of it was Mexican (which doesn't mean bad, necessarily) but it was always wild. Nothing like the "homegrown" pot of today. On the rare occasions when I buy pot today, I get the new breed. Had a friend provide me with some "Pineapple Express" the other day. Another friend is big into the "Purple" strains so I get a taste of his now and then. So, I certainly realize that my genetics are really holding me back.

I am having second thoughts about going 1000w. My space is pretty enclosed and I don't get a ton of ventilation. I think I get enough for the plants and I spend a lot of time in the room just breathing and visiting. LOL Have have zero problems with overheating now. I wonder how much more heat I'll generate with 1000w. Probably be OK in Winter but maybe not in the Summer. I suppose I should try and see. I can always go back to 400w or increase the ventilation somehow.

As far as 24/7, I can see that. I always used to go 20/4. Somewhere along the line I changed to 18/6. 24/7 makes more sense to me for vegging.

I mailed an order form with cash to Attitude on the 14th. I can't imagine I'm actually going to get seeds but.... we shall see. LOL I was too paranoid to do it online. LOL I ordered one pack of Barney Farms Critical Kush.

@Hushpuppy. Thanks, I'll stick with my standard fluorescent lights for cloning and skip the T5s. I get nearly 100% when I clone so whatever I am doing must be close to correct. LOL

Thanks again, everyone for your help. As soon as these current plants mature, I am going to do a rehab on my room. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way.

Speaking of questions, I'll pop out to the store and grab a new light. I think my last one was Hydro Farms or something like that. Any special brands that I should look for? Not sure what the local store carries.

Speaking of questions, I'll pop out to the store and grab a new light. I think my last one was Hydro Farms or something like that. Any special brands that I should look for? Not sure what the local store carries.

I am one who believes in buying cheaper lights more often than the more expensive ones. I grow with bulbs from 1000bulbs.com. Very cheap.

I have been using the Hortilux Super HPS for a long time.

Is one ballast better than another? I imagine so.

I have been using the Hortilux Super HPS for a long time.

Is one ballast better than another? I imagine so.

I prefer newer electronic ballast over the old ones but some I think like the old ones for their durability. I like them and especially the dimmable ones. You can set them for your needs. I don't think mine is a brand name but it still works fine after years of use. It's not dimmable though. When this one does die I will get a dimmable one for sure.

♫♫♫

A 4' 4bulb T5 will be too much for rooting clones (in my opinion). It won't hurt them, just slow the rooting process some. However, you can always unscrew 2 of the bulbs while rooting and then screw them in once the plants have roots and need to veg a little longer.

Since you already have the 400w and want to get the 1000w light, you could use the 400w MH for cloning/veg if it has a dimmable adjustment. Just cut it down while rooting then back up for vegging. Just make sure to get MH bulbs that produce 6500K spectrum light, not the 5000K spectrum. The 5000K spectrum is good for rooting but the 6500K is better for vegging (same spectrum as the T5)

Out of curiosity you say a 4 foot T5 bulb is to much for rooting clones 24 watt on 24 hrs a day compared to you saying to the op use the 400 watt mh on 24 hrs a day what is the cost difference i say allot.... Easy to say if you not when your not paying the power bill.
but 400 mh bulb for just clones that is Crazy yea think . unless your cloning mass
i use 4 footers for cloning and it works perfect ,,, to domes fit perfect under them i use two 4 footers per 2 domes and rooting is 100 percent
And most importantly heat florescents compared to MH throws minimal heat ... You should of mentioned to op he better invest in ventilation as well ???
IMO using a 400 watt is not only wasting power it can also cause you major over heating of the clones , and failures you place 400 to far away then luminious power or actual photons are lost where with florescents 2 - 3 " from domes give off better photon anyways I take it you use a 400 watt for cloning ???? I use sunblaster for my clones and first couple weeks of veg as i LST just to save on power kind of run clone room under florescents then pre veg room under 8 four footer florescents veg room under 2-3000 watts then flower room i have stopped using only MH in veg to me its wasting time i use HPs with hordlux super blue for veg

View attachment !cid_0204011624a.jpg

View attachment picture568k.jpg

View attachment !cid_1106001909a.jpg

LOL, Dr.Fever: either I didn't explain myself well enough or you didn't read well enough. I also use the single sunblaster 4' T5 bulbs for cloning and vegging. But Hackerman was asking about using a 4bulb 4'T5 in a 2'x4' space for doing a few clones and/or vegging. I would suggest as I did that only 1 or 2 of the T5 bulbs be used during cloning, then the others be turned on for vegging once the clones are rooted.

However, Hackerman stated that he has a 400w light and if he gets a larger one for flowering, he will not be using the 400w. If he doesn't want to spend anymore money just now for T5 ffixtures he could use the 400w with MH IF it is dimmable so that it can be turned down during the cloning period when not as many lumens are needed. Then it could be turned back up for continuing veg after the clones are rooted. It would require some ventilation but a vegging space should have ventilation anyway so I don't see where that is an issue.
I hope this explains my points better :)

I run a 400watt MH 24/7 and a 1000watt HPS for bloom (around $50 bucks a month spring/summer $150 with supplemental heat in winter) . Don't care what the numbers are because that pound per harvest pays you back a thousandfold.

Just saying...

Well, I am into week 15 and I still have crystal clear trichs (even on the Indica plants). I see a few cloudy here and there but not a single amber.

So...... down they come (last night). Most of them were mature. A few of the main colas still have a few white pistils but most of the bud has reached maturity. However, I need this room and so.................. chop chop.

In spite of a 400 watt light with a bulb that's probably 5 years old. Almost no ventilation (no outtake fan at all), overcrowding, poor genetics and, oh yeah, did I mention that I have only used Miracle Grow plant food for years? LMAO Even so, the samples I took last week are kick-***. Very nice Sativa high. Very thought provoking, very soaring. And, the harvest wasn't all bad. Probably a little less than a pound.

The pic isn't very clear but there are 2 rows top and bottom. 1 back row is Indica and the rest is Sativa.

Hanging is new to me. I usually go straight from the stem to a paper bag where I dry it crispy and put it in Ball jars for long term storage. This time, I am going to be real good with curing. I never get the sweet Columbian Red Bud taste the way I dry it. Too fast. So, something new, again, thanks to the people here at MP.

Thanks

View attachment h1.jpg

View attachment h2.jpg

View attachment h3.jpg

nice pull off that 5 year old light. :aok:

Just think what you could produce with a new bulb. :)

:bolt:

I am in the process of updating the entire room right now. New 1000w air cooled HPS. Can-Lite 6x24 filter. Active Air fan.

Ventilation will be improved 1000%. Lighting, at least 250%. I'll be using bigger pots (and fewer) and I have a nice stock of Fox Farm nutes. I'll probably stick with the same soil I have used for years. It's Garden Magic (peat and sand). And, I mix 50% dirt, 25% perilte and 25% vermiculite.

The local store has Fox Farm soil but I'm not sure it's any better than the Garden Magic.

This local store loves me. They just opened and I am in the 1k club already. Guy loves seeing me walk in. LOL

i thought the clear trics give more of a uppity high like wired instead of stoned the cloudy /amber trics give more of a stoned buzz kinda high some like that more then a wired kinda buzz my last plant due to being to big had clear trics and to me it was a weak high, but its all up to you it's your plant .

I am in the process of updating the entire room right now. New 1000w air cooled HPS. Can-Lite 6x24 filter. Active Air fan.

Ventilation will be improved 1000%. Lighting, at least 250%. I'll be using bigger pots (and fewer) and I have a nice stock of Fox Farm nutes. I'll probably stick with the same soil I have used for years. It's Garden Magic (peat and sand). And, I mix 50% dirt, 25% perilte and 25% vermiculite.

The local store has Fox Farm soil but I'm not sure it's any better than the Garden Magic.

This local store loves me. They just opened and I am in the 1k club already. Guy loves seeing me walk in. LOL

are you amending your current mix at all, or feeding with liquid nutrients?

if not, then you would greatly benefit from the fox farm potting soil line-up alone.

i use a 50/50/25 light warrior/ocean forest/castings mix for seedlings and rooted clones. also, i've just recently picked up some happy frog to mix 50/50/25 with the ocean forest & castings for final transplant. fox farms products are pricey to say the least, but you will not be disappointed with the results.

How long have you been growing Hackerman?
:48:

In 50 years of growing, here's one thing I have learned....

Just because someone has been doing something a long time, doesn't mean they know how to do it right. LOL I have done a ton of things wrong along the way, and I am still learning, for sure.

In 50 years of growing, here's one thing I have learned....

Just because someone has been doing something a long time, doesn't mean they know how to do it right. LOL I have done a ton of things wrong along the way, and I am still learning, for sure.

best thing about that is u learning hackerman---u can only go up and ur plants will thank u for it by being all they can be

with 50 years behind u---im sure u got a few little tricks many of us have never even heard of

Latest posts

Back