whats too hot?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithgrown

R.I.P. Dime Bag
Reaction score
i am growing in a small closet. about 3ft wide 2ft deep and 6ft high. i have 8 CFL's going. four 42w and four 27w and two 4ft 12t's. the temps in my closet are getting about 97f at plant level under the lights. is this too hot? i do have a small 10in fan on high circulating air in side but dosent really cool unless i leave the door open then it bring the temp down to 90f. is this just too much for marijuana?

90f is about the max you would want, 97 is horrible... I keep my room at 75f

:cry: :baby: :baby: :baby: :holysheep: :baby: :baby: :baby: :cry:

Smith...

PLEASE have a heart... make a hole for your little friends... make the air go W_H_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_S_H! :p

//www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D180096-6-Inch-Hole-Saw/dp/B00005LEZY

HoleSaw.jpg

Thanks DS!!! lol. i dont know what the wife would do if i cut a damn hole in the ceiling!!!! it is in the closet so she probably wouldnt ever know!!!!

smithgrown said:
Thanks DS!!! lol. i dont know what the wife would do if i cut a damn hole in the ceiling!!!! it is in the closet so she probably wouldnt ever know!!!!

what she doesnt know wont hurt her LOL

MindzEye said:
what she doesnt know wont hurt her LOL

:laugh:

I kid you NOT... I know a dude who's a character and a half and I don't approve of what he did but he had an attic grow secretly going while he and his wife were staying over at his in-laws for a few months! :eek: They are very old and they didn't have a clue what he had going on but I could NOT believe it.:rolleyes: The attic access was in their guest room's closet and I called sometimes and they would knock on the bedroom door and he would take forever to get to the door and the phone... lol...

:holysheep:

Maybe she'll go spend the weekend sometime at her sisters... ZING! it only takes about 10 seconds to pop a hole in a wall or drywall ceiling with a hole saw bit... Home Depot also rents those blades for $5/10 per day and don't forget to put in the center 'guide' drill bit or you'll tear a 15" hole... lol... You can even hang the fan up in the attic on rubber straps to reduce vibrations and what little fan noise they have. Most of the noise comes from the W-H-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-S-H! You're running fluoros... With a medium powered inline fan ie a 400cfm Can Fan you can pull air out of your closet from a hole in your ceiling and blow it into the attic. Later when it smells like dope throughout your house you can do like most people who panic and then go buy a carbon filter and hand it high in your closet... You can exhaust the hot scrubbed air into the attic or route it outdoors through a vent on your roof. If you ran the fan from the attic it would make very little noise. If you think you'll ever step up to a hps light you should try to go with a 6" fan and duct size... It's much more efficient than 4"... If you think you'll stay with fluoros a 4" will probably suffice.

Have a good one...

Happy Growing!:cool:

ok so heres a small update. i had foil on my walls and also a refelctive dash saver (you know the ones that go in your car in the summer) and 2 shiny refectors from some old fluoros i had. the dash saver was to enclose the area and reflect and the t12 reflectors were in the corners. my walls are kinda textured and semi-gloss so i thought i needed all this stuff. i took all that stuff out and now my temps are around 88F. So whats more important, reflective stuff or low temps?

smithgrown said:
ok so heres a small update. i had foil on my walls and also a refelctive dash saver (you know the ones that go in your car in the summer) and 2 shiny refectors from some old fluoros i had. the dash saver was to enclose the area and reflect and the t12 reflectors were in the corners. my walls are kinda textured and semi-gloss so i thought i needed all this stuff. i took all that stuff out and now my temps are around 88F. So whats more important, reflective stuff or low temps?

If your walls are white you're fine... the lower temps are a bonus!;)

Foil is a very poor reflector and those windshield things are meant to deflect heat--they are not about reflecting light at all. You are far better off with white walls, even if they are semi gloss. Flat white paint is better.

You also need a constant FRESH supply of air into your room. You should be exchanging the air in your space 3-4 times a minute to insure that your plants have enough CO2. This takes at the very minimum a passive intake and an exhaust fan. You cannot just throw an oscillating fan in your room.

I like to keep my temps below 80.

Hey guys temps are now down to about 87F. This is a bit higher than i wanted but its better than mid 90's. should i take a light or two away and see what happens? which is better more light or lower temps?

are the doors closed? If your closet has 2 sliding doors, open both sides about 4 inches and put the fan just outside the door blowing in one side. What are the temps in the room?

no i have 2 doors that open like french doors. you know like a book. i have my fan sitting with its intake right at the open door and it blows at the pots of my plants. the temp probe im using sits on top of the pots right between my two plants about 6in under the lights so i get a true reading of what my plants are feeling.

smithgrown said:

Hey bro! Getcha one of those ceiling fan vent/light fixtures like motels have and tell her you put a light in for her so she can see better!;)

have you tried putting a fan in the closet with another blowing air in?

yes i have one 10in fan with its intake pointed out the door and one of those old school clip on fans from the 80's cliped up high blowing air out. temps are around 87F. my plants seem not to be bothered by the high temps so i guess as long as they are happy i am too. any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back