When To Plant Question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ston3pony

Reaction score
I've been reading guides and I keep seeing April-May as the time to plant... But, I live in a cool cloudy climate, so I'm wondering what the specifics are. Obviously it has to be after the last frost. But what else?

What is the tolerable minimum low temperature? 50° F ??
What about minimum daylight hours?

Thanks!

why not just start them inside and hardening them off for when the weather i right.you would have a jump on just sowing outside.if thats what u are talkin about.i will start some seeds in feb. to put outside when the weather permits.i am sure these pro outdoor growers can give u way more professional advice.jmo

No no, that is what I want to do. Going to start clones and transfer them outside. But, what is "when the weather permits"? :)

Anything above frost is okay? What about minimum daylight hours? They'll just start flowering right away if there isn't enough sun right?

From a graph I looked at it appears that Portland Oregon (near the area I will be planting), gets 12 hours and 50 minutes of light on April 1st.

st3'.. my early frost date is along about the 2nd or 3rd week of May. I used to try to "rush", cut corners, provide cover for them earlier.
What "I" have found, is by keeping clones under 24/0 light, and hardening them off in late May by moving them back under lights at night, I can put them ou June 1 and with only 3 weeks left to summer solstice, they will flower and continue to flower, without a revegging problem.
If you wish to put them outdoors earlier, I advise you to restrict your lighting to a similar number of hours as your OD will provide. Something like 16/8 usually works pretty well.

Latest posts

Back