White Powdery Mildew on leaves...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafminer said:
You mean that he runs the lamps at night and has them off during the day? That's what I do. For the reason that day temps can go as high as 30C even at this time of year, but night temps are dropping as low as 12C. The lamps keep the grow room at about 25C at night which the plants love, and during the day they rest, the grow room would be as high as 38C if I ran the lamps in the day. Now, what you said last made little sense related to the first post about the grow room being so cold. :confused:
I am saying that his a/c being off for the night swaps temps in the room.

At night in the grow room (a/c off) his temps are 80-85 degrees

During day, lights on, a/c on, room is at 66 degrees

PM loves dark high humidity places ~80-90 degrees. BINGO

When lights go out so did all fans, a/c and exhaust (he is a power freak). His humidity skyrocketed as did his temps due to the warm garage during the NORMAL day and no a/c.

I told him to drop the temps when the light goes off by turning off exhaust with a timer, and leaving the a/c to cool on max; it will shut off w/no exhaust to pull out cold air and not cost much to run anyways as it is not cooling the light.

CaliWizard said:
i bought clones in sacramento ... have had them since the middle of september. when i got them i learned what PM was. at first it was only on one or two plants. i quickly got rid of them. but now it is STILL here and i have been spraying with Garden Safe Fungicide3 since the beginning. i spray daily and am contemplating tearing out my girls after reading this.

is there ANY way to get from LEVEL 1 to LEVEL 0 ?? i am definitely at level 1 because it is only on a few leaves so far everyday. but i am going to have to do something within a few days as i am worried of getting sick..
If you see PM patches on leaves, you are at level 2.

Most are at level 1 and just don't support the right conditions to germinate the PM spore.

I am happy to report that he is already seeing progress (3-4 days with cold temps). His growth has visibly slowed a little, but no new PM patches!!!!!!!

Hey Kush, Dutch Master Zone & Penetrator. Heard about this mix on another forum and so far it has done the trick.

You might also try baking soda in a topical or milk (mixed at 1 part milk, 9 parts water) also as a topical. Lots of folk swear by it. Also 3% hydrogen peroxide straight, in a topical. In the same way you might use baking soda you can try your regular ph up in a topical to create and inhospitable environement (along with proper temp and ventilation) at about 9.0. And there is always sulfer.

If you go the Dutch Master route be prepared for the cost of the penetrator. It can be a real dinger after a while. The zone will last for just about ever. It's pink and leaves your room with a peculiar but familiar smell that is not near as offensive as some of the other pay-to-play chemicals on the market. As a major plus there seems to be no adverse affects using it 'til day of harvest.

There are other strategies out that you can try, but, like me, you will have to search them out!:D

so is it safe to assume that a good percentage of bud that is purchased has PM when growing? either in level 1 or 2 ?? along these lines i wondered if i should just kill my girls now? or let them grow and continue to treat with fungicide and adjust conditions? if i do keep growing them, how safe is the PM to smoke?

overall i just want to know if i should kill my girls now and start over with something NOT infected.

i actually just found an Economy sulphur burner for 30$. it burns little 2.5 or 5 gram sulphur discs which are also inexpensive. would this be a good solution? i am probably purchasing this tomorrow..

Update:

a/c on full blast the PM is not surviving. I saw it myself and its looking good!

62-65 degrees, plants look good, and no PM visible to me.

good stuff. He fixed it w/o chemicals!

I spoke too soon!

He is seeing new patches on the tops of some hidden leaves in the back of the grow.

Anyone hear of copper soap?

I found this. It says to use neem oil, or sulfur burner. And it says copper soap does not work.
Oils. To eradicate mild to moderate powdery mildew infections, use a horticultural oil such as Saf-T-Side Spray Oil, Sunspray Ultra-Fine Spray Oil, or one of the plant-based oils such as neem oil or jojoba oil (e.g., E-rase). Be careful, however, to never apply an oil spray within 2 weeks of a sulfur spray or plants may be injured. Also, oils should never be applied when temperatures are above 90°F or to drought-stressed plants. Some plants may be more sensitive than others, however, and the interval required between sulfur and oil sprays may be even longer; always consult the fungicide label for any special precautions.

hXXp://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

nvthis said:
Hey Kush, Dutch Master Zone & Penetrator. Heard about this mix on another forum and so far it has done the trick.
If you go the Dutch Master route be prepared for the cost of the penetrator. It can be a real dinger after a while. The zone will last for just about ever. It's pink and leaves your room with a peculiar but familiar smell that is not near as offensive as some of the other pay-to-play chemicals on the market. As a major plus there seems to be no adverse affects using it 'til day of harvest.

I'm tellin ya bro, give this a whirl man. It has worked awesome so far. And, supposedly, you can use it up to day of harvest. I would go with this before you get into the 'heavy stuff';) This took it off both my bubba kush, pre '98 and the reg. The most pm friendly plants I have dealt with yet.

so far fungicide will help to get rid of visible patches. sulphur fumes are the only thing that will kill PM. burn a bunch of matches and close the door or get that inexpensive burner i linked above... lowering temps will only slow growth.

nvthis said:
I'm tellin ya bro, give this a whirl man. It has worked awesome so far. And, supposedly, you can use it up to day of harvest. I would go with this before you get into the 'heavy stuff';) This took it off both my bubba kush, pre '98 and the reg. The most pm friendly plants I have dealt with yet.

why would root booster, and leaf penetrator get rid of mildew?

CaliWizard said:
so far fungicide will help to get rid of visible patches. sulphur fumes are the only thing that will kill PM. burn a bunch of matches and close the door or get that inexpensive burner i linked above... lowering temps will only slow growth.

I hear ya, but don't spray fungicide on buds!! Fungicide is some dangerous bad juju. If the above works and gets me through this grow, then forget sulfer too;)

When I worked termite/ag fungicides were always some of the most dangerous chems to mess with. I work with them as lightly and infrequently as possible. Even if daconil looks and smells like vanilla paint!:hubba:

past few days I have been letting my room hit 100 degrees then I put the air on. As a preventative measure for me, cause I have been visiting my buddies moldy crop. I have not seen 1 patch of mold in my room. He has been doing the same. Will post back on his results periodically. Looks like hes doing good though with getting ahead of the mold.

CaliWizard said:
why would root booster, and leaf penetrator get rid of mildew?

Yup, can't answer that at all bro! I can tell you from where I stand right this moment that it works like a doggone charm. I read somewhere that this stuff has some natural chemical in it that mimics the action of chlorine and PM gets it's butt handed to itself by said chemical? Maybe the same way it is supposed to 'clense' roots? I don't really know. Regardless, it cost me $60 to try it when I really felt like I had my back against the wall. Now I will tell anyone about it that is in need, str8 up. I will never be without a supply from here on out. It will be a permanent resident in my nute cabinet. I treated for it 3x and haven't seen PM since. I dipped everything I could on the first treatment and sprayed like crazy in four day increments after that. PM done. I will add, though, it doesn't seem to have any effect on thrips at all:rolleyes: Oh well. Can't win 'em all.

Latest posts

Back