Whorled phllotaxy on pistillate indica plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSkool

Stubborn as an ol' mule..
Reaction score
Hey all! One of my ten female 'indicas of unknown origin' has developed whorled leaf sets of three after 5 days of 12/12. I've heard of them early on during vegging then returning to dicussate as they mature, but I don't believe I have ever come across one that waited for flowering to show it.
This plant didn't start displaying until the 14th internode at 22 inches tall, 7 weeks from seed.
It's definately a female too. Hairy pistils and all. Most turn out to be males from my understanding. It also was the first plant to show alternate out of the bunch too.
This is yet another interesting developement in this grow.
A few pics:

whorled.jpg

whorled 1.jpg

whorled 2.jpg

So...no big deal I guess...:rolleyes:
It must obviously be common with indica/afghan varieties.
Since I've always grown sativa's I didn't know.

OldSkool said:
Hey all! One of my ten female 'indicas of unknown origin' has developed whorled leaf sets of three after 5 days of 12/12. I've heard of them early on during vegging then returning to dicussate as they mature, but I don't believe I have ever come across one that waited for flowering to show it.
This plant didn't start displaying until the 14th internode at 22 inches tall, 7 weeks from seed.
It's definately a female too. Hairy pistils and all. Most turn out to be males from my understanding. It also was the first plant to show alternate out of the bunch too.
This is yet another interesting developement in this grow.
A few pics:

So it was totally normal before you put it into flower... that's interesting. Was it stressed at all before hand... kinda looks really healthy to me but i thought i'd ask. I always thought that stress might be a the cause of that happening. I think i would try to make a seed branch, um make a few seeds on one bud, just in case it doesn't hermie. I like those tri ones, more bud sites to play with.

OldSkool said:
So...no big deal I guess...:rolleyes:
It must obviously be common with indica/afghan varieties.
Since I've always grown sativa's I didn't know.
It is an 'oddity' oldschool, even more uncommon to have pistillate plants.
good luck :)

Hick said:
It is an 'oddity' oldschool, even more uncommon to have pistillate plants.
good luck :)

Taking bets on how long it stays just female tho. I have had a total of one, and that's all. All the rest herm or just male to start with.

wow those were some really big words.... lol.

My Rhino gives me some nice 4 leafs and am sure she is not a dude. Mine look a bit more retarded though.... I will get ya a picture when the lights turn on

Thanks fellas! I was wondering if I had BO or something!!! ;)

I can't think of anything that would've stressed the plants save for them going dry to the point of droopiness one time about three weeks ago. No big deal really, they picked right back up. The hermie I thought I had before turned out to be a pure staminate plant and a strong virile one at that.
I'm using him to pollinate two females outside do to lack of room inside.
That gives me a final ratio of 90% or so with the seeds I was given. Of the 13 seeds that sprouted, 11 were female, and two were male. One female and one male displayed some really ugly growing characteristics, odd leaves, stunted meristems, etc, so I yanked them and put them out of the DNA loop.

Matsakleen...I prefer to be clear and concise when referring to particulars so that the picture I'm trying to convey is seen clearly and not muddled with slang that may only serve to complicate the conversation.
It is also the correct horticultural terminolgy.
Pick up a copy of Mel Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers' Handbook and you will find all the terms in it. It's full of valuable info for the beginner and the seasoned veteran who needs a quick reference handy.

I'll keep a close eye on the lady and will let y'all know if she decides to go Lola on me.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll take some more close-ups and keep ya posted.

Oldskool

whorled? what does that mean?

if it means "twisted" ... i don't see what your talking about

it looks like a healthy plant ... and it's FAR from indica

if anything you have a tri-foliate sativa dominant plant

edit: i didn't know "whorled" was another term for a tri-foliate, just means more than 2 sets per node

The "Resource" page contains a dictionary of mj terms, of sort.

Hi 9volt!

I don't know. Perhaps I didn't use the absolute best adjective to describe my plants leafing arrangement. Here is one explanation:

2. whorled - forming one or more whorls (especially a whorl of leaves around a stem)
verticillate, verticillated

Basically it means more than two sets of leaves growing from the same junction an a plant in a circular fashion.

Anyway, it IS a triploid example of polyploidy. A condition where, in MJ growing, more than two opposing leaves grow from the same internode.
There are also tetraploids. Four leaves growing from one internode. Mine has three. Therefore a TRIploid.

I am curious tho, what makes you think that my short, bushy, fat fingered leafed plants are Sativa dominant?

I took a pic yesterday of the triploid plant.

It is complete with oval sepals that are acuminate, the outer surface and margins being covered with multicellular glands and slender, pointed unicellular hairs with crystals of calcium oxalate deposited in their swollen bases. No clear evidence of the male gametophyte has yet to be discerned.

In other words, She's definitely a female!:hubba:

poly flowering.jpg

OldSkool said:
'indicas of unknown origin'
:
Hello OldSkool you very nearly could have answered my last post in my journal ! Oh well i'll keep searching for the answer ! I can tell you that you have very similiar genetics to my ladies ! Peace and take care ! Mine are outdoor as well ! Are you in the southern hemisphere !

Anyway, it IS a triploid example of polyploidy. A condition where, in MJ growing, more than two opposing leaves grow from the same internode.
There are also tetraploids. Four leaves growing from one internode. Mine has three. Therefore a TRIploid.
'ploidy is a misrepresentation of terms oldschool.
1. polyploid - of a cell or organism having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes
hXXp://www.thefreedictionary.com/polyploid
an organism or cell having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes.Of a cell or organism having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes; a polyploid cell; a polyploid species.Organisms that possess two sets of each chromosome.
hXXp://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Polyploid

It IS a whorled phyll', but I don't believe that polyploid or triploid is determined by phyllotaxi or leaf growth.
Polyploidy is the condition of multiple sets of chromosomes within one cell. Cannabis has 20 chromosomes in the vegetative diploid (2n) condition. Triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n) individuals have three or four sets of chromosomes and are termed polyploids. It is believed that the haploid condition of 10 chromosomes was likely derived by reduction from a higher (polyploid) ancestral number (Lewis, W. H. 1980). Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally in Cannabis; however, it may be induced artificially with colchicine treatments. Colchicine is a poisonous compound extracted from the roots of certain Colchicum species; it inhibits chromosome segregation to daughter cells and cell wall formation, resulting in larger than average daughter cells with multiple chromosome sets.........Colchicine is sold by laboratory supply houses, and breeders have used it to induce polyploidy in Cannabis. However, colchicine is poisonous, so special care is exercised by the breeder in any use of it. Many clandestine cultivators have started polyploid strains with colchicine. Except for changes in leaf shape and phyllotaxy, no out standing characteristics have developed in these strains and potency seems unaffected. However, none of the strains have been examined to determine if they are actually polyploid or if they were merely treated with colchicine to no effect. Seed treatment is the most effective and safest way to apply colchicine. * In this way, the entire plant growing from a colchicine-treated seed could be polyploid and if any colchicine exists at the end of the growing season the amount would be infinitesimal. Colchicine is nearly always lethal to Cannabis seeds, and in the treatment there is a very fine line between polyploidy and death. In other words, if 100 viable seeds are treated with colchicine and 40 of them germinate it is unlikely that the treatment induced polyploidy in any of the survivors. On the other hand, if 1,000 viable treated seeds give rise to 3 seedlings, the chances are better that they are polyploid since the treatment killed all of the seeds but those three. It is still necessary to determine if the offspring are actually polyploid by microscopic examination.
from Clarks MJ Botany, I "believe"..
Colchicine is a toxic chemical that is often used to induce polyploidy in plants. Basically, the colchicine prevents the microtubule formation during cell division, thus the chromosomes do not pull apart like they normally do. The end result is a cell that now has double the number of chromosomes that it would normally have. If this cell divides again in the future, then the doubled number of chromosomes are passed to the offspring cells. Plants that have more than the normal two sets of chromosomes are termed “polyploidy” in general, although specific names are given to the certain chromosome numbers (e.g. tetraploid or 4N plants have four sets of chromosomes).

OldSkool said:
I am curious tho, what makes you think that my short, bushy, fat fingered leafed plants are Sativa dominant?

I would say Sativa dominant, also. Those leaves have the thin finger look of a Sativa.

Latest posts

Back