Good HPS Deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent45

Reaction score
Anyways, I was looking at some of the 20 dollar wonders and thought that I might as well invest in something good.

Been looking around and I found this 150 HPS fixture with reflector and cooling as well as a grounded cord for 77.99 I believe.

hydroempire dot com

make sure you get the right size for your grow room. The x-perts say 50 watts per sqaure foot is what to aim for but you can get by on 30 with a possible yield decrease. It is a good decision to get as good a light as you can afford.

I am sure you could make something for the same price, I am not doubting that. Building your own is not always an option for people.

I would feel more comfortable with that 80 dollar system running 12/12 in my closet than I would if I purchased 3 of those 20 dollar HPS, put them in a deflector hood and grounded them.

That's just me.

Trent45 said:
I am sure you could make something for the same price, I am not doubting that. Building your own is not always an option for people.

I would feel more comfortable with that 80 dollar system running 12/12 in my closet than I would if I purchased 3 of those 20 dollar HPS, put them in a deflector hood and grounded them.

That's just me.

How many plants are you planning on growing?

I'm gonna run two to start, then go to four eventually. And progress from there.

Trent45 said:
I'm gonna run two to start, then go to four eventually. And progress from there.

150 watts probably won't be enough.You might as well upgrade to an air cooled 400 watt hood off ebay for $100.

400 watt is a lot to pass on hydro bill, with fans and such as well. 150 will do fine for 2 for a while, I also have a couple small flourecent lights that will bill moved from veg and mounted as well.

what wrong with that hps of flood light modifed 70 watt to 150 watt bubs..
with air cooled powered by computer fan..?

less on the power bill IMO... we do have that in DIY forum...

I'd have more piece of mind with that one really

You could replace all the lights in your house with low powered compact fluorescents to help with the light bill. 400w really isn't that much. It's like running the television. I think a computer uses 600w. Running my 400 on 12/12 costs me around $20-$25/month:). I flower 3 at a time and with my 400w and I wish I had a 600w because i'm not happy with the yields. If You're going to use the 150w that will give you 3-5 square ft of growing. About enough for one nice plant, maybe 2 small ones.

HydroManiac said:
17000 lumens from HPS enough for 5 plants in 18x18"??

IMO I do have more than 22,000 lumens per light and I have 8 of them..

I have 10 mom under it... its still not enough... I need more lights that stay in 24/7 I'm scared to use HID lights and burn my bill.. and might last only short time if I keep them on 24/7 plus keep blub cool all the time.. one drop of water to the hot blub of HID will end the story....

Latest posts

Back