im running 900cfm through my 1000w, is this to turbulent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JBonez

Anyone running high cfm fans in a 1000w light?

I have two fans, at each side of the vented hood. One pushing air in, and one pulling air out.

each fan is a 450cfm 6" vortex.

is this two much turbulance for a hood and/or bulb and socket to handle safely?

ive bought the fans already, just wondering if there was such a thing as too many cfms.

ive also got an active intake/exhaust with a carbon scrubber, zero smell at my house!

450 isnt all that much it seems. And its a balanced flow running over it.
Like if you blow smoke at the side of your hand. It hits and bounces all over causing alot of turbulence. Then try doing it in front of a fan. It gets pulled smoothly around.
So I think the 2 is actually better than just the 1 for it.

Wow. That aerodynamics class came in use afterall.

JBonez said:
Anyone running high cfm fans in a 1000w light?

I have two fans, at each side of the vented hood. One pushing air in, and one pulling air out.

each fan is a 450cfm 6" vortex.

is this two much turbulance for a hood and/or bulb and socket to handle safely?

ive bought the fans already, just wondering if there was such a thing as too many cfms.

ive also got an active intake/exhaust with a carbon scrubber, zero smell at my house!
Im not sure but if u have two fans at 450 cfm connected to a hood wouldn't u still only be moving 450 cfm of air? I mean if the hood is sealed and two fans are blowing at 450 cfm working together wouldn't the exaust still end up being 450 cfm of air with twice the cost of fan usage???

Yea its still 450 DMP.
Same as if you were going 50, and the car in front of you was going 50. Nothing really changes. But if yall crash into something, its alot more velocity or force your hitting with.

DutchMasterPuff said:
Im not sure but if u have two fans at 450 cfm connected to a hood wouldn't u still only be moving 450 cfm of air? I mean if the hood is sealed and two fans are blowing at 450 cfm working together wouldn't the exaust still end up being 450 cfm of air with twice the cost of fan usage???

sure, the air flow rate is a constant, so the cfms wouldnt technically combine.

A single fan, regardless of how powerful, will lose its efficiency, significantly.

but, i figure two fans would function better as the air around the bulb would be continuously bathed in fresh cool air.

i also wonder if the fan "needs" resistance as far the motor goes, free inertia provided by the first fan could theoretically cause the first fan to spin to fast????

man you are a nutter one fan only and pushing air thru the hood not pulling as ive mentioned before ive heard of fans melting due to air being pulled through into/onto the fans internals thus possibility of getting too hot.

ill post my set up later to show ya how to cool lights

lol

its funny

skalllie

ps two exact same fans working pushing and one pulling is same air flow so no reason to do this.

two fans either both pulling or pushing through the same sized gap/vent will up the ante ie: not twice the airflow but an increase for sure

professor pat pending aka skallie

pulling air is certainly more effecient than pushing air. out of curiosity to skallies post, at what temps where these fans "melting"? i just emailed the guys who make them so hopefully we can get some answers on max temp ratings. ok, so it just dawned on me i probably shouldve asked them about running 2 fans consecutively like your suggesting and how exactly that effects cfm and such as i never got to take an aerodynamics class :( will post there reply.

"Hi if you install to VTX 600 in series, It will deliver 449 CFM but you will double the static pressure. In other words with 20' of ducting you will loose almost no CFM. This installation will not affect the RPM of the fan.
But i am wondering why would you do that because 20' of duct will not create thart much resistance on the fan (you will loose arrond 25 to 50 CFM)"

in my email to him i asked about your setup with 20' ducting, thats where he's getting that.

"The maximum temperature rating for vortex powerfans is 50 celcius (122F) But what i suggest to you insted of sucking the air from the Air cool reflector you should push through the air cool so the hot air will not pass through the fan and will never stop or melt."

Hi J,
You probably know what I'm going to say before you read this....I would use one fan, passive intake....fan after the lights...this way the lights are not pressurized and the seals do not have to be airtight. Pushing air through with the fan in front of the lights allows air to potentially leak back into the room where the lights are sealed, the fan after the lights pulling through would keep the lights in a negative pressure situation :) and any air leaks in the connects or construction of the lights would be drawing IN air at those points. I run a 4" vortex pulling air through my two 600 watt cool tubes with passive intake, no problems with heat, but these are 600's, not sure how much more heat you would be dealing with using a 1,000

thanks for all the great responses.

Ive done research and here are the facts ive gathered in regards to my original question.

1. Pushing air across the light IS more effective, we knew that.
2. Passive intake growrooms or tents DO NOT benefit from pushing air into the tent or room as the principles are different in the perspective of cooling lights.

3. As mentioned before, static pressure increase is only making my setup more effective.

4. The light can handle 400 cfm's no prob, and the setup works beautifully, its really amazing how much cooler light and hood run right now.

Even with summer heat my tents highest temp today was 80 degrees, thats a huge improvement over previous weeks.

So, albeit expensive, i think i will be running the setup from now on, I love how the lamp is being bathed by cool air in such a torrent that the light is actually that much cooler.

BTW, i run a yieldmaster II and even tho its sealed, one fan pushing it still had huge pressure leaks, so i would advise a smaller fan if you are going to push through anything other than a cool tube.

Latest posts

Back