UV STOP good or bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRXMJ

Growing for Israel's Sick
Reaction score
Today I purchased a 150 W MH fixture + bulb of following manufacturer and model:

SYLVANIA METALARC HSI-TD 150 W

It says "UV STOP". Does this mean the good MH light is blocked and thus non-effective as grow light?

Does anyone know? Please advise. If no good, I would like to return and exchange for a better bulb.

No. It means that the lamp does not emit dangerous levels of UV.

leafminer said:
No. It means that the lamp does not emit dangerous levels of UV.

Thanks for answer. Do you mean "No" to some question and that it is YES still good use for growth? I hope so, because this light has cool swivel so I can hang it if I drill it into wall or board, or use as "leg" on which to lean ala picture frames that "stand" on table.

IRXMJ.ORG,

If you are going to grow medical marijuana for others, then you need to study and study until you understand what you're doing rather than just stumbling around until you get lucky. Those people are depending on you to get it right the first time and every time.

Start with reading the stickys in the front of this section. Especially the ones that show what spectrum plants use and what kind of lights give off what kind of spectrum.

Getting back to your original, question, UV = Ultra Violet light. UV is harmful to virtually every beneficial life form. So while a UV filtered light is going to loose some good light, that is going be by far overshadowed by protecting your plants and the entire environment fro the harmful UV spectrum.

While, hesitate to challenge anyone's representations of them self, I must say your signature doesn't ring true with your question and what it reveals about you. You will find that the worst thing you can do here on this forum is to try to portray yourself as more knowledgeable or "better" than you actually are. Humility and a willingness to admit your real status will get you farther than anything you can do on this forum. Don't bother trying to impress anyone, because the ones who count will quickly see what you really are, regardless of whether you over sell or under sell yourself, as well as not caring anyway, and the rest of them are too busy trying to impress each other to care about who and what you are.

If I have misread they meaning behind your signature, then I apologize but Even your nick name reeks of an attempt to impress us and it will NOT work.

Good smoking! and good luck because anyone who is actually wanting to help sick people through the use of MJ is someone that is worth helping.

DonJones said:
IRXMJ.ORG,
While, hesitate to challenge anyone's representations of them self, I must say your signature doesn't ring true with your question and what it reveals about you. You will find that the worst thing you can do here on this forum is to try to portray yourself as more knowledgeable or "better" than you actually are. Humility and a willingness to admit your real status will get you farther than anything you can do on this forum. Don't bother trying to impress anyone, because the ones who count will quickly see what you really are, regardless of whether you over sell or under sell yourself, as well as not caring anyway, and the rest of them are too busy trying to impress each other to care about who and what you are.

DonJones-

That's a pretty harsh statement (not only to the OP, but to many other posters here on MP). Was it necessary to attack him? Ultimately, does it really matter who he or she claims to be? He/she is merely asking a question.

DonJones said:
Getting back to your original, question, UV = Ultra Violet light. UV is harmful to virtually every beneficial life form. So while a UV filtered light is going to loose some good light, that is going be by far overshadowed by protecting your plants and the entire environment fro the harmful UV spectrum.

You are absolutely incorrect in this statement. If you read and research (as you advised the OP), you will find that UV light, specifically UVB, is actually beneficial to some growth. Also, much of the UVB spectrum is actually within the absorbtion spectra of certain photosynthetic pigments.

Many growers, myself included, actually introduce UVB lighting to their grows with beneficial results. Robert Clarke, a noted botanist, in his book, Marijuana Botany, discusses the benefits of UV and it's impact on trichome production as well as it's benefits in converting certain precursers to THC (such as THCA) into THC. This is not my opinion, it is based on the research of others. I can provide you with resources if you wish to research further.

Sorry if I come across harsh but I find your attack distasteful and unwarranted.

IRXMJ.ORG-

The UV output of a MH bulb is nominal, particularly in such a low wattage bulb. The glass around the bulb itself diminishes the UV output to a degree (just as a window does). Certain bulbs come with an additional glass jacket that further reduces UV output. Personally, I wouldn't use it for growing, but I don't know if the impact is that significant.

As I stated above, some UV lighting has been shown to be beneficial to growth. Good luck and Happy Growing! :)

Hello IRXMJ.ORG :)

Ask as many questions as you need to learn, we will all help :)

DJ.

Your post was rather harsh, what does this mean?

DonJones said:
Don't bother trying to impress anyone, because the ones who count will quickly see what you really are, regardless of whether you over sell or under sell yourself, as well as not caring anyway, and the rest of them are too busy trying to impress each other to care about who and what you are.

:confused2:

:peace:

BBFan said:
Sorry if I come across harsh but I find your attack distasteful and unwarranted.

No need for *you* to apologize. You are correct the attack was distasteful and unwarranted. Thanks for the other voices to defend against flaming which seems common at these forums/groups/boards, which is why I have avoided ever registering.

Don Jones, considering that all Rx Medical Marijuana is grown by volunteer growers of their own good will, and as it is given free to all license-holders patients who receive, I think your words are doubly-unnecessarily harsh. I am not selling the marijuana; I am investing my own time, money in growing in order to give it away for free.

If, in my effort to improve the quality of the medical marijuana I produce I ask questions to learn more, if I am attacked here by such as you, why should I ask and risk being flamed by hyper/over-active zealous members of forums & boards like this?

I am still not certain what answer is: is this UV Stop bad for growing? Is it totally worthless like a halogen? or is there grow benefit of MH?

The UV block will allow you to grow but will not harm your skin or eyes.

All HID lamps are provided with a glass envelope that reduces the emission of harmful UV radiation. HPS bulbs specifically have a warning on the box that states not to use the bulb if the outer glass is broken. The outer glass does not affect the lamp's ability to grow. I hope that is clear?

HippyInEngland said:
The UV block will allow you to grow but will not harm your skin or eyes.

Ah hippy, who told you this? :)

If you stare at any light bulb, it will burn the retina's out of your eyes, depending on how long you stare.

Even quick accidental glances over time are detrimental to you're vision.

RX- Youre light is fine. GL

Thank you very much to you 3.

You have broadened my horizons and my thinking about my light set up. I have have one 400 W MH that over the hears the plastic has melted off so some of the "raw light" is exposed. That bulb I don't remember specified UV Stop - so many there is harmful radiation?

The new lamp sounds good from what you guys say. It is also really bright light, much "whiter" than the 400 W MH which is more yellow. Together they really place lots of sunshine light all around my plants.

I am wondering of the glimpses I get into these lights are going to really damage my vision with each glimpse?

Icex420 said:
Even quick accidental glances over time are detrimental to you're vision.

Yes. Some people use sunglasses when they enter the growroom.

Geeeeez...

I guess the holiday season is over DJ?:hubba: Maybe we all need to do LOTS of "Good Smoking" to get our melons gellin' in 2010....;)

dirtyolsouth,

I agree that we all need to mellow out. Yes I'm a harsh direct speaking person. I'm never claimed to be a diplomat, but maybe you all should reread the last two sentences of my harsh post before you start becoming harsh yourself. to make it easier, here they are again.

If I have misread they meaning behind your signature, then I apologize but Even your nick name reeks of an attempt to impress us and it will NOT work.

Good smoking! and good luck because anyone who is actually wanting to help sick people through the use of MJ is someone that is worth helping.

I don't know how to make it any plainer of humbler that to admit that I may have misread him and to apologize if that's the case. Nor do I know how to make it any plainer that if he is who he claims to be, then he is some one to be helped, and I should have added to be admired.

I notice though that he doesn't object to my characterization of the impression he gave me nor does he try to correct me. But there are sure a lot of you who can't wait to become harsh too.

I stand by my original post. And everything I said in there applies to me too. If I'm going to try to provide medicinal marijuana to patients, I need to get it right every time because they are depending on me. When we start providing medicine of any sort to other people we have no room for errors or experiments.

If I am wrong about him, then he already has my apology and I am open to being corrected. If I'm right or even some where in between the advice I gave him is good advice. If he already knows what I offered then it doesn't apply to him and if doesn't already know it but chooses to disregard it,that is okay too.

Great smoking to every one. RX, if I'm wrong, please tell me so and like I already said, I apologize if I'm wrong.

And please do NOT for a minute think that I know every thing or haven't learned a lot and eaten a lot of humble pie, even here on the forum, as well as throughout my life.

RX,

My apology to you still stands. It won't be either the first or the last time i am wrong.

Nor is you pat me on the back stuff about growing the MJ to give it away relevant to the discussion. No where did I mention selling or giving it away. Nor does the gifting or selling of the MJ change our responsibility to our patient to get it right EVERY TIME. I too give medical MJ to those who can't grow it or can't afford to buy it, but the ones who can afford it on their lifestyles, I charge for it to help offset the production cost of those who can't afford it. Does than make me special or a good guy? -- absolutely NOT.

Greatr smoking and may you become the best most productive mj grower in the world and help the multitudes, because the world needs all the help it can get in easing the pain and suffering of the people, even from the small contribution that an oaf like myself can give. May GOD bless you and your country!

BBFan,

I'm still checking your source. and while some limited bands of the UV spectrum may have beneficial effects in limited circumstances, the fact remains that UV in general is generally considered to be very harmful to most forms of life. If you will reread my statement, it was qualified (virtually) rather than a blanket statement for every particular band of UV and in every circumstance.

After all it is often the last sterilization technique before hard radiation for surgical instruments.

Good smoking and thank you for at least offering some sources for me to research.

The problem with discussing UV, for me, has always been the issue of what the resin production is for (from the plant's point of view I mean). If it is - as some say - to protect against UV, then it would make sense to blast the plants with UV. But UVA or B ???
But that may be completely wrong. Another theory states that the plant produces the resin to get predators stoned so as to forget where they found the plant...
And yet another theory states that the sticky trichs act to catch insects or stop insects attacking ...
For me the problem is that I would "like" to test these theories but my personal requirements (getting some smoking material) get in the way.

Latest posts

Back