1st cloning attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanehduhbuz

Reaction score
4 days ago went out + took 20-30 cuttings off 2 plants (himilayan gold + a chemo ), h. gold - clone, chemo - seed from hydro grown clones. all the tips of all the cuttings have now turned brown, probably dying as i type this. all are in styrofoam coffee cups, in a promix soiless mix - nothing but tap water used. a tall (6"), clear dome sitting directly under multi banks of flourescent lighting on 24/7. 1 cutting is sitting outside, away from all the others - but it also shows signs of burnt tips - but is no closer than 4" inches away from the lites. any suggestions?:cool:

did you use a rooting gel or powder or anything?

pics of the cuttings would be helpful

Ya, if you have never cloned before, not using some type of root stimulant makes it very difficult to get them started growing. Sometimes, since no matter how well you clone it there will always be stress, you will get initial browning and then it will back off. If they die off, i would highly recommend getting some type of rooting gel, powder, liquid if you are going to clone. Also, you could make it easy on yourself and just clone them in rapid rooters, and get a rapid rooter dome so you can keep the humidity real high. That helps them root well. :fid:

i used "rootek" gel - exacly how deep are the cuttings to be placed in the promix? i put gel on the botom 1 or 2 inches but then i inserted the cutting 3 or 4 inches in.

It just all depends on how big your cuttings are. You say 3-4 inches, well they better be big cuttings for that much, usually its an inch max for small clippings. I just recenlty learned a cloning technique for a grow book. when you take your cutting, you can cut the leaf in half(cut the tip off about 1/4 way down) and then dip your cutting into liquid wax (wasn't quite sure it had to be a certain type of cloning wax, but if there is cloning wax use it), and when you do that, you don't have to worry about keeping a hood over it or spraying it constantly.
If you don't have a humid dome, or something to keep it extremely wet, like wax or aeroponics, then its going to be very difficult to get them to root and grow without dying.
what is promix? When you are cloning, you should really use rapid rooters. They are cheap and very effective. You can buy them with a special dome (all in one), for like 20 bucks at your local hydro grow store.

ive cloned a few of mine before and they almost looked they weren't going to make it then they came along with new growth give it a chance before giving up;) good luck hope it works out for u

joegrow22 said:
It just all depends on how big your cuttings are. You say 3-4 inches, well they better be big cuttings for that much, usually its an inch max for small clippings. I just recenlty learned a cloning technique for a grow book. when you take your cutting, you can cut the leaf in half(cut the tip off about 1/4 way down) and then dip your cutting into liquid wax (wasn't quite sure it had to be a certain type of cloning wax, but if there is cloning wax use it), and when you do that, you don't have to worry about keeping a hood over it or spraying it constantly.
If you don't have a humid dome, or something to keep it extremely wet, like wax or aeroponics, then its going to be very difficult to get them to root and grow without dying.
what is promix? When you are cloning, you should really use rapid rooters. They are cheap and very effective. You can buy them with a special dome (all in one), for like 20 bucks at your local hydro grow store.

........."WAX"????
there's one I've never heard of. I can garauntee, it wasn't common parrafin/candle wax they speak of.
"Rapid Rooters"..worked well for me, but those expandable 'peat pucks', I've found to be a bit on the acidic side.
I like the cloning hormone, gel/powder/liquid, to be applied everywhere the cut will be buried.

went to the hydro shop + picked up a dozen "cocco pucks + plugs", i have a dozen peat pellets so i mixed up 10 litres h2o + 10 drops powerthrive, dropped everything into a container to soak overnite + tomorrow i am going to try again. looking at the cuttings in promix (a soiless medium - peat moss, perlite, vermiculite mixture) it doesn't look like anything has rooted - the leaves are getting browner - not the results i wanted.

they will naturally brown as they use up the stored energy in the leaves. Don't give up on 'em just yet. Watch for bright green 'new growth'..

kanehduhbuz said:
went to the hydro shop + picked up a dozen "cocco pucks + plugs", i have a dozen peat pellets so i mixed up 10 litres h2o + 10 drops powerthrive, dropped everything into a container to soak overnite + tomorrow i am going to try again. looking at the cuttings in promix (a soiless medium - peat moss, perlite, vermiculite mixture) it doesn't look like anything has rooted - the leaves are getting browner - not the results i wanted.
I told you they are gonna look almost dead and then u will see new growth coming out you have to think that cutting u took just went into major shock give it time my friend. Time is everything when it comes to growing MJ good luck peace

update - some cuttings have taken root with new green growth starting. some still look browned out. the second batch of cuttings that i took all look very green - no browning anywhere - yet. if i could ever figure out basic computer skills i could show pictures but i haven't a clue how to move a picture from a file to a folder or whatever it is your supposed to do - so until then its written words only.

good news for me - 1st batch that looked dead are thriving - i've had to move them into 6" pots. the roots are way more advanced than when growing by seed thats for sure. the 2nd batch - looks green - but no rooting anywhere. will continue to care for them + let u no next week.

interesting results- the 2nd batch that looked way better at the beginning have now turned very bad. all leaves, all cuttings yellow,- all cuttings that were in jiffy pellets of cocco + peat pellets - not one rooted. in the cubes from the hydro store, about 1/2 doz. are showing signs of root growth . i don't think the powerthrive was a very good idea + i wont use it for this again.

ditto kane...I have a nearlly new bottle od "Supa-thrive" prolly 2 yrs old. I'm hanging on to it untill I can find someone I really don't like, to give it to..:p

show + tell time. i can now post pictures so under the grow journal i will be posting as "a little sick". come see how sic these babies look then + now. see u there.

i just cut a few clones off of a female today and wet the stem and put into root tone then into a solo cup with seed starting soil put n the bottom of a big pot and put a light overtop cfls o and also sprayed the soil around the clone but i did not put a hood over it will they still grow by the way this is my first grow and my first clones

Latest posts

Back