5000 btu a/c enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
There is currently a 5000 btu ac in a 4x8 room with 2 1000 watt hps cooled hoods. Also connected to this room is a 2x4 with a 300 watt T5 HO in which the 5000 btu ac is also cooling. I just switched to coco and the use of reservoirs (hydro). I read that it is important to maintain rez temps below 75
Currently where the rez's are are not cooled, temps in rez have gotten above 75
Im wondering if it will be necessary to have more btu cooling

Might need a water chiller for your rez.
Whats the room temps with all that on?

interesting i have some white widow in veg i see your white widow monsters link
My room temps normally stay steady 80 day 65 night in flower
veg stays right at 80 24/7

It sounds like you will need a water chiller. Its important for hydro to maintain rez temps in the mid 60s. I have a larger space and I use a 6k BTU mobile ac and it works well for keeping the air in the mid to upper 70s until the high heat of summer when it still keeps the temps in the low to mid 80s. But I have to use a watter chiller to keep my rez under 70f. If yours continues to stay above 75f, you will starty having a lot of algae and slime formation in your rez and throughout the water system.

Here is what I do for mine: I got a real good cooler from walmart that holds about 8gal of water. I got a 180gph water pump and this chiller: hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/active-aqua-water-chiller-110-hp-p-2529.html :) To this I added enough plastic hose and 2 coils of copper tube (I bought 1/2" copper tube and slowly bent it into a coil that is small enough to stay submerged in the rez water). I routed the hose from the cooler (in which I dut 2 holes in the lid for the hose to go through and cemented it in place with one side of the hose connected to my 180gph pump) over to the chiller that has 2 1/2" hose connectors. From the chiller, the hose "tees" off to take 2 sets of hose (1 to each tent) to the rez where it connects to one end of the copper coil in each rez. The other end of each coil is hosed back into the cooler through the second hole cut in the lid of the cooler. This setup keeps the chiller water separated from the Rez water so that there is no cross contamination of either the rez or the chiller.

This method works ideally to keep my rez at 68f. The cool thing is that I leave them both on constantly so that the water continually circulates to keep the rez temp steady. The chiller has a thermostat so that once the cooler water is chilled enough, the chiller turns off but the water pump keeps circulating. During certain parts of the 24hr period, the chiller will turn off for an extended period as it isn't needed to continually chill the cooler water, which saves on power usage. Here are a couple pics of my setup:

water chiller2.JPG

water chiller2a.JPG

I used Frozen Bottles of water. I puttem in my Rez. Real pain in the Butt,,but it worked.

Yeah, I started with that, but they just didn't last long enough and I had to replace them every day. If you have a small setup that is in-home then you could do something like that, but for any size bigger than a 3x3 would probably get to be a pain. :)

Boy aint that the truth. Deff a pain in the arse,,but it was the only way I had to keep temps down in my DWC. Couldnt afford the chiller. Besides I like 5gal DWC.

You can also use chlorine to maintain a clean Rez, when a chiller either won't keep up or you can't afford one.

isnt chlorine something i want to avoid < I have a filter that removes it

Latest posts

Back