600 MH hotter than HPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_2_Chronic

Gone Baby Gone
Reaction score
Ive got a 600 air cooled hood with lens...ducted from both sides....

the MH is alot hotter than the HPS bulb yet only about half of the lumens.. Is this normal?

My 1000w MH bulbs make my room run about 2 degrees hotter. However I am not sure if it is the quality of the bulbs in comparison with each other. I run sunmaster cool deluxe MH and Agromax HPS bulbs. I did notice a huge temp drop in running the growbright mh bulbs vs. the sunmasters. The growbright bulbs had a real blue color and ran hotter then the sunmaster.

i talked to hemp yesterday about this.. i have a 400w. mh and wanted a 400w hps. so i went and got the conversion bulb.. it does run hotter. a little less Lumes but still more than the MH

It is a Lumetek switchable. The bulbs are the sunmaster.....

I say about half....my HPS bulb has 93000 lumens, the MH is 55000, so yeah....almost half....

Goes to show the relative efficiency of the larger lamps, my 150W HPS lamps are about 16K lumens, multiply by 4 and that's 64K lumens, while the 600W (above) is getting 93K if his figures are correct.

Most 600 HPS I have seen were 88K lumens. The one I have is a more full specturm hps with a whopping 93K.....The more expensive bulbs, or full specturm bulbs tend to have a higher lumen count. Bet you could buy a higher quality bulb for that 150 with more lumens...;) my bulb alone was 149.00 but worth every penny!.

Good point, thanks!
I have a pair of Day-Bright high-bay types, 150W HPS. "Suitable for damp environments" (just as well ...)
These cost me I think, $30 on EBay, a bargain, including the big high-bay hoods that do a fine job of keeping the light into a tight area. The seller sent me about 4 new bulbs too.
Are there really big differences between the bulbs? Is there a much better bulb I could use in my lamps without paying $$$$$ ?:confused:

Lumatek's can run both MH and HPS without having to change anything but the bulb. Unfortunately, no one makes a 600w MH bulb, so you have to get a conversion if you want to run MH on your 600w Lumatek.

Latest posts

Back