95* temp...fan died

• Thread starter legalize_freedom
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

legalize_freedom

Hey people! I was out for awhile today, when I came home I went to check on my grow, when I got close to the door, I could tell something was wrong, the handle to the door was warm...thinking oh crap...when I opened the door, the therm read 93, with the highest reading being 95. It was fine at 5:30 this morning, so the girls were only in the heat for around 8 hrs maybe. My exhaust fan died!! No back up...well nothing powerful enough to use right now...and no freakin money! (I'm laid off) I won't be able to buy a new fan until wed, when my unenjoyment money shows up, so in the meantime I have the door open with an osicilating fan in the doorway. Do you think I will be allright with it like this until wed? And do you think 8 hrs of high temps overly stressed the girls, they are still in veg, so I'm thinking they should be allright...what do you all think? with the door open I can keep it around 77

lesson learned: I always have kept back-up lights...but I guess I better start keeping a back-up fan around to....:eek:

I went through heat issues in the summer and my plants were fine...a cpl times the heat climbed to triple digits before i cld get it back down...you shld be fine if the plants look okay...

Do you have a choice:) My temps have been in the 90's for days before with only a little stress. I would raise your light a little if your tops are hot..hold hand at tops for 1 minute or so. IMO you should be fine till wed. I ran for a month with a reg osc. fan blowing between tops and light. Watch for leaves to start pointing up and edges curling...and obviously dry brown leaves at light. Hope that helps and good luck.

checking tops was the first thing I did...they are fine...I did move my light up to 12" away though because my usually air cooled reflector isn't air cooled right now, also these plants are really stinky already in veg, and it sucks that the carbon filter is attatched to the fan and hood...so my house smells like a skunks hind end right now, luckily the landlord was by 3 days ago to get the rent...lol ...I have extra everything...except what I need!

I figured I would be allright...it is just a speed bump...and it sucks!
Thanks guys.

i too experienced high 90s for a week or so during the last weeks of october. mine were in veg as well during the heat stress, and fortunatley, all that happened is slowed growth. but after getting a vent system and waiting a week or two to see if they'd EVER start growing again, they made full recovery.... at least i think they did. so keep that going. good luck

Do you think I will be allright with it like this until wed?
this is exactly how i been doin my grow since day one. only i use a stanley blower fan rather than an oscillating fan.
when i first started i was usin only a small fan but had only cfl's then, but then went to one them big square box shape fans, then my stanley blower LOL.
all that and i prolly coulda had a scrubber fan and legit one by now huh :doh:
oh well. i'll be gettin a scrubber fan now shortly for sure , now that i orderd some real beans. and im sure they all gon be stinkers too so...
its a pain in the rear havin to always be home to turn on an off and open and close down but IMO its worth it.
plus i dont really go anywhere anymore much and im gettin old i guess and more a home body anyway. lol
the exhaust fan i do use is no where near powerful enuff to keep it cool inside wit door closed so...
as long as teh fan keeps it cool enuff i say no problems :aok:
only durrin lites out im assuming you wil not have any exhaust tho cuz ya keep door closed then, no?

well I'm veggin 24 hrs/day right now..so the door is open constantly for now, I was hoping to flip them to 12/12 on like friday...but I'll have to wait until I get a new fan...I don't want the door open once they are flowering...my girlfriend would move out cause of the stink...she's already complaining...hmmm maybe I should flip em...be an easy way to get rid of her!
Just Kidden...she is a keeper! My problem now, is trying to find a good 4" centrifugical fan for cheap (fixed income at the moment). My local hydro stores cheapest is 107 plus tax...ouch! There are a few on ebay for around 50 starting bid, but I don't know if I want to wait, or take the chance of being outbid at the last min. Anyone know where to find a cheap one on line? Dang Zip I can't believe you've been running like that for so long...Your a rebel...lol!

from all the serchin online ive done. 100$ give or take 10 maybe even 15$ is bout the average price range everywhere for your cheaper econo type models. this jst wat ive noticed anyway.
you could try a stanley blower fan. maybe if your filter isnt too huge LOL
i got a stanley blower. the higher powered model for round 50$ at a hardware store.
the suction on this thing i got here is incredible. i men even when i block the intake almost completely the fan you would expect to bog down and start wobblin all over the place an wat not, but it stays strong. the motor increases noise just ever so slightly only is all.
i mean if ya lookin to get a quick fix im sure it would woork . and if ya scrubber to thick or watever, to draw a good amount air thru it coudl ya maybe empty some the carbon out a lil to create better flow :confused2:

Dang Zip I can't believe you've been running like that for so long...Your a rebel...lol!
hell yeah. its call ed determination my man.

... determined to no longer let anybody else own me, no matter wat.
and if something gets in my way i almost 99.9% of the time improvise and always prevail.

Right on Zip! your the man...I was thinking about a blower , thats basically a squirrel cage fan right? I'm going to go see what I can find tommorrow, but won't have any money until wed, anyway. Yeah I've found a couplt buy it now on ebay for 75 bucks, but 20 S&H...so I'm lookin at a bill easy...SUCKS! Thanks for the input people.

leagle...check craigslist...ebay wont get there for a few days...also I know you no working but maybe a rental shop..I feel ya frustrations my friend..and hope things work out for you..take care and be safe

hey 4U thanks man...I tried to use Craigs list last night, but I'm not sure how to go about it, when I did a search there it said there were no matches, but I think I was just checking only my city...I have never done Craigs list before, is there a way to search the whole site, and not just my city/state...I know there has to be used stuff out there, How many people grow once, decide it's not for them, and have this stuff sitting around the basement....HMmmmmm If I could only get into the cops evidence room....ahhh but then I would not be looking at fans!

:ciao: well cops destroy the lights on site when they tear down a grow..:hitchair:

I go to search block and type..."Grow lights" for my state and they I have the cuntys to pic from tabs....also look for the Hgh bay shop lights and Don jones here has a diy to convert those to remote ballasts..Im picking up some 1000MH for 15 bucks each..good luck and Happy Growing

i have a fan that's like 20$ has been running for 4 years never broke. you dont wana keep a spare fan for yearsunused i suggest you dont get a spare fan just keep some spare money and get some industrial metallic type of exhaust fans they last for so long. the only way i saw one break was by rattling and making loud noise but still moved the air

Do a google for GRANGERS. Not sure if they do retail or sell to individuals as I usually just ordered stuff through work.

DAYTON has some of the best continuous duty fans, but shop around!

For example, a fan that was ~$75 in the Granger catalog was well over $200 in a hydro catalog.:holysheep: Same exact Dayton fan.

That, to me, goes from decent profit margin to well into rip off country.:rolleyes:

DD

zem said:
i have a fan that's like 20$ has been running for 4 years never broke. you dont wana keep a spare fan for yearsunused i suggest you dont get a spare fan just keep some spare money and get some industrial metallic type of exhaust fans they last for so long. the only way i saw one break was by rattling and making loud noise but still moved the air

Well zem...if you can show me a $20 fan that will pull air through my carbon filter, air cooled reflector, and circulate all of the air out of 100 cubic feet of grow space in 5 minutes...I'd definately be interested...do you have a link to that...because I'll take four of them! When you put up a link I'll take you seriously. I normally do have some extra money laying around, but since I've been laid off for a month, and the holidays, and the unenjoyment takes their sweet yass time getting people our money...well things got a little tight here...my fan was a can fan...that was a hand-me down from a freind that probably had over 60 grows out of it...so it served it's purpose...machines that are constantly used break...that is life. So I will be waiting for a link to those 20 dollar fans.

To the rest of you that had REAL suggestions, and not critisisms, THANK YOU!

4U I have seen Don's threads I will check out craigs list again...I'm still fairly new to the comp! Although I won't be buying any lights until work calls me back, I will keep that in mind...thanks.

and I can't remember who said Granger, because if I were to try to scroll back right now I would lose all this that I have already typed...Thank you, and I will be sending rep ya'lls way...I will check out the granger catalog, I have one from my shop here....Thanks

Zip...when I was doing some research today I found out that the blower type won't work for my application, it wouldn't matter if it was 500 cfm, I guess the motor isn't strong enough to have the pull that I need to bring the air through the carbon filter. So I'm glad I didn't decide to go that route. Thanks for thinking, and the help though...MUCH appriciated bro!

I think I found what I'm getting unless I find something cheaper btwn now and wed. THANK YOU everyone that gave me serious answers!

and it was Droopy dog...thanks again bud

Droopy Dog said:
For example, a fan that was ~$75 in the Granger catalog was well over $200 in a hydro catalog.:holysheep: Same exact Dayton fan.

That, to me, goes from decent profit margin to well into rip off country.:rolleyes:

DD
agreed man i always see these huge differences. the hydro stores are rippin people. try and see the lights in electricity stores. you will also see big difference in price.
i have the opportunity to get into hardware store who import chinese stuff. chinese always sounds like it's gonna break but there are grade A stuff who are copies of the US and EU products and they work great for the price. for example my fan was like 20$ when i got it 4 or more years back when i started growing and it's been running ever since. i bought my 400watt ballast reflector with the steel casing and glass cover all for like 50$ theyr still running too but i got good european made good brand bulbs

Latest posts

Back