A Wee Orphan Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMCORP

Ganja Gardener
Reaction score
Hello again my friends :giggle:

We're still enjoying the fruits of our last harvest, and have started a new, experimental grow of orphan seeds ("orphan" sounds so much nicer than "bagseed", right? :p)

We use a 400W HPS inside a Homebox XS (2x2x4 ft)
Fox Farm's Happy Frog soil mixed with some extra perlite for drainage
Fox Farm Nutes (when the time is right)
"Great White Premium Mycorrhizae" every two weeks to boost the roots
Molasses for the Mycorrhizae to feast on
Distilled water
1/2 gallon pots until we know the sex and can give more room to the ladies ;)
a 6 inch fan to move the air around a bit

We're ordering well-bred seeds for Christmas, or maybe after as $ allows (hubby's present to me :hubba:), but wanted to first try our luck with some rapscallion genetics--orphans from the street who do not know their parents , but whose parents' smoke once filled our lungs...

We started them on 12/12 on Saturday (the 13th) because in the past, our "orphans" have had the tendency to outgrow our wee room no matter what we do. So, this is our little experiment of not veging as we always have before...:watchplant:

Picture 1: the six babies
Picture 2: a close-up

PC151203.JPG

PC151205.JPG

how do you circulate the air in that box? I have been thinking about starting a few other seeds in a small area like that.

godspeedsuckah said:
how do you circulate the air in that box? I have been thinking about starting a few other seeds in a small area like that.

Answer:
Not very well.

We use a six inch fan which we have blowing in through the built-in vent on top.

Our 400W HPS still gets too hot if the plants grow too near to it. I think we should have bought a 200 or so for the space, but we were noobs and the dude at the store swore by the 400....

but still, i can't complain about what we've been able to grow in the past ;)

what are your temps running around because if you install an exhaust out of the room, your temps will decrease dramatically

In the 80's. Near the light, it's in the 90's, but it's really not too hot. We've grown some fine buds as is, and don't have a place to exhaust to ...

Thanks though :)

GMCORP, if you have Sativas you might get tall, long plants with long colas. With no vegetative growth Sativas might stretch a lot. I think Indica is more suited for flowering only.

Keep us posted with updates.

I wish you well on yor grow but must say that in my opinion and expereince you will not have enough room for more than 2 maybe 3 plants. When you buy your new seeds look into the autoflowers as they start and stay small.

i don't know to all these comments posted here. did anyone remember my first indoor with 'orphans'?:hubba: . i pinched 'em down, and made 'em stay under 2 foot, and i vegged 5 weeks. they were some of the homeliest lookers you ever seen. but they smoked like the jewel of the nile.;) :D .
you'll be fine GMC, leave the door open , with a fan blowing in...bb...

banjobuzz said:
you'll be fine GMC, leave the door open , with a fan blowing in...bb...

Yeah, what banjo said.

i do appreciate everyone's opinions (that's why i journal) but link to my other grows. I've done just fine with the orphans, done well with pure breds. I'm just doing the best i can with the space i have.

We took an orphan harvest on our honeymoon (same setup), and----woooohweee!---was that ever good smoke!!! Getting stoned all day, seeing the sights, eating good food, and doing what a husband and wife do best, as much as possible.

Good luck on your new grow and here is someGREEN MOJO to get those babies strong. I will be pulling up a chair :watchplant:

More space and more light is every ladies dreams even if they are orphans.

What kind of light did you add?

pcduck said:
More space and more light is every ladies dreams even if they are orphans.

What kind of light did you add?

I guess you had to be following my ww/ice journal to know, but i had them under CFL's in my kitchen cabinet for a few weeks and just put them in my homebox xs under the 400 w hps 12/12 a week ago :D

Yeah sorry:( did not follow your previous grow. Kinda new here:)

Oh wow! and no wonder they like that light.:aok:

...never know what you're going to get ;)

All these plants are being treated the same way, but look at the diversity! :holysheep:

The Sexy Six got a boost of mycorrhizae yesterday, and they seem to like it...

Look at how short and compact # 4 is compared to #5 just in front of it.

I'm hoping short-and-compact becomes a woman :hubba:

PC221210.JPG

PC221211.JPG

PC221212.JPG

PC221218.JPG

PC221214.JPG

PC221215.JPG

whenever that happens to me I always wonder if I screwed up or something.

Latest posts

Back