"Air layering" or my style of cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socal-outdoor

Reaction score
I posted this concept a LONG time ago thinking I was being super duper evil genious grade, smart; Only to find out it was already being done and was called "air layering" or somthing.

I've found this makes plants go through less shock of being cut as a clone and root much faster.

The whole Idea is to get the area you plan to cut to sprout roots even before you cut it. In the past I've done this by scraping the outside with a razor blade to get it kinda raw and juicy then using rooting hormone on the exposed area and then wrapping a little "bag" of wet dirt around the area in lunchwrap and then aluminum foil to sheild the sun and keep it cool I use the twisty-tie thingies to keep the bag in place. I keep it moist and eventually cut off the clone right below the sprouted roots. They do noticably "bounce back" faster than regular old cut clones with hormone.

Or you could make a 90 degree slit(just a small cut, so the inside of the stalk is exposed), take a small piece of toothpick, put it in the slit, put rooting hormone on the slit. Get some brillo pad and cigarette celophane. Put the brillo pad(small piece) over the slitted area of the stalk. Wrap the brillo in the celophane and tie it off with a twisty tie. Same method, different process. I read this in a book somewhere.

Latest posts

Back