Black Bugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffsta

Reaction score
I have a mother bubble kush plant that had a dozen black bugs come off the leaves I trimmed off.
I used a 30 power microscope to view them.
They are 1/8" long.
Looking through the scope, they resemble a ladybug, but are more slender.
Some have a fluorescent multi color on their back.
The back has a slit as if they were wings, but these bugs didn't fly, they just crawled on the table.
They have skinny legs and it looks like some feelers on their head.
I don't know if they are good or bad.
I can't find any pictures on the net or on the forum.
Do you have any ideas???

Thanks

Are they feeding on your plants? I've grown outdoors for 10+ years can't say I've seen them! Can you get any pics up?

Phatpharmer

I don't have any way to take their picture.
I gave the plant too much food and was trimming off the burnt leaves when they started moving around the table.
Thanks

hXXp://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/menu.homegarden.html
hXXp://www.ladybugindoorgardens.com/pests.html
hXXp://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organic-and-hydroponics-gardening.com/indoor-garden-pests.html#fungusgnats

Haven't seen a picture of one yet.
Thanks

How many legs, and body segments? Then you can narrow down the family of insects to look within. Spider mites for example are part of the arachnoids. I have a suspision they're some sort of aphid, but they sound a little small. Aphids can be all sorts of colors and frequently different sizes. They feed on plant juices causing some damage and stress. I'd check growth on other parts of the plant for similar insects.

I found this picture. This is pretty close. It is a flea beetle.

alacertosa2.jpg

Kill It ! Kill It Un Till Its Is Dead Mon !

Those damn things. They infested my hybrid, came from the tomatoes. Hard to beat. Try nicotine spray followed by neem. Fortunately my sativas seem resistant to them.

The flea beetle is a nastly little s.o.b. They resist all sorts of organic sprays and even chemical sprays only last for a week or so. They only emerge from soil around the base of the plant for a short period and they're life cycle is short also. However, damage to your plant can occur. Many strains can out grow the infestation to continue on a normal flowering cycle but any stress sucks. I've used the following spray with great success as a preventative and killer of insect and mildew infestations.

100% neem oil (einsteins oil) - 3 teaspoons baking soda - SM90 (coriander oil and a wetting agent) - 1.5 gallons of warm water

I'll add rotenone in severe cases for outdoors, and spray the soil also.

My mother Bubble Kush is history. My Mazar is still going but is struggling. I just found one bug 3 times bigger than the rest. I looked at her under a 30 power scope and she had a huge sack of eggs. I have about 30 clones outdoors in the sun, right next to where the mothers were. These will be flowered inside my grow cabinet. I can only find the bugs when I trim off the dried out leaves.
Now, I am afraid to bring the clones inside. I don't want to grow the plants all the way outside cause the police station is downwind from me, less than a block away, and they do several daily checks at the apartments behind my house. I have a couple of grow licenses, and will be getting a few more in the next month. Then I will be OK except for the poachers.
What to do???

I'd spray your ladies really well and quarenteen them for a few days - so you can repeat the spraying again before introducing them to the indoor flowering room. Hopefully this will insure no more beetles and will stop the spread indoors. I always spray after feeding/watering and I'll mix a slightly more potent batch to spray on the soil surface only killing any eggs and larvea. The spray I recommended earlier will degrade in a matter of days and will have no ill effects on future smoke. Good luck. Grow lincenses - isn't it great :)

I want to thank all of you for your help.

Latest posts

Back