Brand new here-What are pro's/cons to growing (indoor) in arizona?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this site yesterday -AND AM HOOKED!!!! LOVE IT!
I'm wanting to grow in a small bedroom, typical small start. Have single family home-no real privacy issues. What i'm wondering is if there are any BIG THINGS to be concerned about--Or BIG THINGS to my advantage??
Anyone have any tips?
For example-it's hotter than hell here...damn near always! 100-110 degrees from may till sept/oct. Seems like the normal fight to keep the house 70-80 degrees (i read the newbie f.a.q !) in the summer months would possibly be problematic with a 1000w hps?? are there any particular strains that would be best suited to my climate?
Any help from a fellow desert dweller would be great.
peace to all

Welcome to MP. First of all slow down and start reading anything by mojavemama. You have alot of advantages living alone and if heat is a issue thier are other alternatives. I would check into better sealing up your house, weatherstripping, caulking the windows, etc. its a good place to start with getting your grow room enviroment as close to favorable growing conditions as possible. Check all the general growing info forums and read on and don;t be afraid to ask a question or two. Gl and keep it green.

thanx for the welcome. good....i was fearing someone would tell me to abandon the idea here in az over the summer- i guess it must even out- i'll fight to keep the temp down in the summer but aint gotta do much in the winter. all 2 1/2 weeks of it! how do i find this mojavemama's posts?

oh- and i don't have any out of the ordinary heat issue-same as anyone else-just wondering if it's already 110 outside if that posed any inherent risks this little brain hasn't thought of.....I hear heat signatures don't really apply if EVERYTHING is blazing hot i.e buildings,cars,rocks etc.

Look fer her grow journals in the forum jump.

desert dweller said:
I found this site yesterday -AND AM HOOKED!!!! LOVE IT!
I'm wanting to grow in a small bedroom, typical small start. Have single family home-no real privacy issues. What I'm wondering is if there are any BIG THINGS to be concerned about--Or BIG THINGS to my advantage??
Anyone have any tips?
For example-it's hotter than hell here...damn near always! 100-110 degrees from may till sept/oct. Seems like the normal fight to keep the house 70-80 degrees (i read the newbie f.a.q !) in the summer months would possibly be problematic with a 1000w hps?? are there any particular strains that would be best suited to my climate?
Any help from a fellow desert dweller would be great.
peace to all
Having grown in Nevada, in similar parameters, I can tell you the best way to have your inside grow there.

First, Go to the expense of putting another layer of insulation up on the walls of that room. Then, install a small air-conditioner. It will keep your humidity down to promote more resin on the leaves and in a well insulated bedroom, the a/c will cost minimally, taking it's benefit into consideration.

The room temp will be fully under control. If you use a hydroponic system for growing, it will also maximize your plant growth and make sure your plants have a constant, perfect amount of water to compensate for the dehumidification of the a/c unit.

My story was that the a/c was suggested by my doctor for my breathing. No one ever asked twice and they seem to love that answer. Keep it simple.

Cruise the site and do a whole lot of reading in threads like "Setting up a grow room" and subjects like that. You'll need ventilation. A fresh air supply is a must. Make sure to buy an a/c unit that has "Outside air" as a choice on the supply. Use that at night to get your fresh air intake when the outside air is at it's coolest. A good quality air cleaner in the room will eliminate odor problems.

Don't worry about the IR scans. They're mostly a scary Internet myth.

Read on man!

cool cool! I've been reading up a bunch on here-more info here than everywhere else combined! I figured i had some 'desert specific' issues to consider- and i have the benefit of being able to do any modifications myself. i definately agree that only i should know. do people in our little oven-like envirnment avoid the dead of summer months? i'm hoping not. i'm gonna start with a 5x5 closet, house is brick and interior walls are OLD SCHOOL lathe and plaster- i'm at least starting with some good insulation to build upon-i'm gonna add more like u suggested. and the closet butts up to ac/hot water heater chase- I can tie all sorts of ventilation in easily, even install an ac unit directly in the closet. Any thoughts on also installing a skylight to reap the actuall SUN? seems offhand if I can get me some sun involved i can at least not run hps for those hours- i'm thinking of the reduced energy-money saving-not so much being noticed pulling more watts. And finally-for the moment- whats considered better if i have the choice : getting that real sun for a few hours a day or just not even bothering and using pure hps ? just thought of another related Q: sunlight would probably not hit direct but for maybe an hour or two - is reflected sunlight just as beneficial?
thanx much to all who are helping!!!!
peace

Hey desert dweller, installing a small window unit or using a "portable" a/c unit is almost a must in your environment.

A skylight isn't a good idea. It adds heat to the room, and if sunlight can see in, then some one else can also. Not good!

Keep this thing as private as can be with no visible line of sight to your grow.

Your night time temps should be low enough to gain some good fresh air each night.

As for cost, look at it this way; in that 5 x 5 room, you can grow what is worth 3 thousand dollars, had you bought it on the street. What's a couple months of electric when compared to that?

The extra insulation is to keep the cool air conditioned air IN, not the heat out.

The sun is your enemy with indoor growing....listen to Stoney and as for a strain recommendation...look into auto flowering strains...they are done from seed in 60-70 days...less time for problems to set in and they are small in stature....

Hi! I'm late finding this thread, but I'm automatically drawn to anyone trying to grow in the desert!

I used to live in Tucson, and now live in Nevada. Same heat problem.

I do not have quality lights, so my only option is to do an indoor-outdoor grow, keeping them in under fluoros and CFL's at night, and taking them out every morning for the day. But that's ONLY in spring and fall--if you get over 85-90, you'll likely have problems, especially with any broad leafed strains--those with more Indica. If you notice the plants that adapt themselves to the desert, they have tiny little leaves for transpiration. Big leaves burn up.

Now, in early summer--say, Feb, March, April and May--even if it gets 90 mid-day, you can still get GREAT morning sun to augment your lights. You won't need to do this, of course, if you have good lights. You can just do an indoor grow all the way, and that sure sounds like heaven to me!

But in the later spring, you may have to "rest" any plants to put outdoors to sun during the middle of the day--they can actually take the heat okay--up to about 90 degrees--as long as you have them under some kind of shade cloth. I have a shadecloth enclosure I made with PVC pipe--cheap and easy, and I push them in there mid-day for a couple of hours, and mist the leaves, tops and bottoms.

Also, if you take them outside, be SURE to put them in white pots, or cover your black pots with white duct tape or spray them white. As the temps increase, you will have to insulate them. I put my vegging plants in 1 gallon pots and put those pots in garden carts that have a layer of gravel on the bottom, and water up to the top of the gravel so there is a bit of humidity around the plants. Then, crumble up newspaper wads and push them all around the pots, filling up the air spaces to offer more cooling for the roots. You NEVER want the roots to start cooking. So, keep them covered and protected outside.

It takes a LOT of work do utilize the sun here in the desert--whether it's the Mojave or the Sonoran. It's doable, but it's nearly a full-time job. If you can get a REAL grow room set up, with a/c, fans, good lights--you're far better off.

Now, come harvest time, you're going to really have a tougher time. We don't have to worry about mold, but everything in our part of the world petrifies in a few hours. If you try to hang buds to dry, they will be dry and crumbly in 8-12 hours, and will taste like hay. You will most definitely want to invest in a good humidifier for your grow room, or you'll have a truly nasty tasting harvest.

If I can answer any desert related questions, don't hesitate to PM me, ok?

I'm NOT an experienced grower, and what I know, I learned here and from experimenting with growing indoors/outdoors at the same time. Still, I've learned a lot about keeping cannabis alive in this demanding, harsh, arid climate.

Here's a link to my first desert grow journal--it may have some good tips if you decide to do an indoor-outdoor for the time being, until you get your grow room finished. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40536

No don't listen to stoney go soil!:p love ya stoneybud, acutually i feel hydro would greatly aid in keeping temps regulated. Listen to mojavemama, mama is wise, mama is good!

Welcome to MP desert dweller. Yes, you are on a very good site here. I have learned a lot on MP and the folks here are assume and treat each other with tons of respect. Good luck with your indoor grow, and if you need any help someone will be here for you from somewhere around the world.There are alot of us MJ growers on this planet all in the same mind, to grow perfect (organic)plant(s).Peace out

Latest posts

Back