Build your own Odor Neutralizing Machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hanging ozone gen and it doesn't work. it helps.... a lot, but im happy it was a gift and i didn't spend my money on it. I hang it in the room outside my room. i have to keep the grow room door open so the other room smells to. the gen helps in there but it still smells like pot. just not DAAAAANK pot. i dont have a carbon scrubber either. i burn lots of incense and cook alot. we smoke enough pot that the house always smells anyway...........

DO NOT DIY an ozone gen.

it really just not safe. if you have had a good bit of practice in a hobby involving the same kind of electrical discharge and are solidminded about it, go for it. otherwise its totally a fire/death hazard.

Lotek,
Thank you for the prompt reply. I have no idea how an ozone generator works so I just thought I'd ask. I now know that appaearantly they work but discharging electricity between plates while the air is passing between them.

I have a couple of air pruifiers that I think are ozone generators so I might bring them into the grow room while I'm getting the carbon scrubber and oder nuetralizing machine built.

Thanks again.

Don Jones

I'm still waiting on information on "ona" -- just exactly what is it and where can I get it?

Also what is SOIL MOIST? Is it anything like vermeculte? Would something like coco fiber work in its place? I have coco fiber around already.

Thanks.

Don Jones

ive seen some good plans for a DIY ozone generator. and yes they are Extremely dangerous to build/ use. that being said, all you need is a few household items and a transformer (the kind they use with neon lighting). those transformers push a crazy amount of electricity, this is where the danger comes in. also when on, it emits a light that can blind/ burn you.

ona= odor neutralizing agent. great stuff! you can get it at your local hydro store. the soil moist crystals you want you can get at lowes.

many household air things(the tall stick things) are actually anti ozone machines i think. they use some other method that has a side effect of removing ozone IIRC.

im just going off of commercial fashbacks tho.

you are right dr. o3 gens are like mini lightening units. the smell before a storm is ozone made by lightening and air.

I've got a variation on this theme in that my vent output after it has been through a carbon filter goes via a 150mm duct to an open bucket containing fabric conditioner in solution.

I'm growing Cheese so carbon filters can't clean the air properly but with this on the end of the system it smells summer fresh.:)

If I had your set up I'd probably vent my air through it rather than have a fan on the unit but for folk without proper vent and filtration yours is a really good idea,nice and neat.

haha yeah rockster ive been by your cheese breeding project. really good stuff keep up the good work!

and yeah i was interested in the ozone jr generator the guy at the hydro shop said it wouldnt completely get rid of the smell he said at best it would get rid of 80%

After about two days looking for that ONA, i ended up buying some liquid Vanilla air-freshener that claimed to be Odor Neutralizer!
Put the pieces together relatively easy... Had to find a lid for the Pink bin I got (was the cheapest one available - no lid) and made the lid cutting a plastic plate that's normaly placed under pots... Worked...
the fan was cheap too...
All materials were around 15Euros - real Punk :hubba:
and in about 10 minutes after we plugged it in the whole house smelled vanilla...
Great machine :D
Hope it lasts as well...
Here's the pic..

Thank you for sharing this!

S8005082.JPG

So this ONA is not a specific thing or brand but just anything that masks the odor, correct?

Also, is soil moist a brand or a type of material? It almost sounds like vermeculite to me (sic).

Thank you.

Don Jones

soilmoist is them water absorbing polymer crystals. it comes in diff sizes(granual) it expands it size when added in water.
hxxp://www.theartisticshop.com/water%20polymer%20crystals.htm
link to wat they are

ONA??? its Odor Neutralizing Agent. its liquid. not sure on science of it but i think the name says it all really. but wat i use cuz i cannot find the liquid ONA is i get them ONA blocks. come in a small platic tub like container. its hard and looks liek candle without a wick when its opened hence the ONA block.
i just rub it around in bucket hot water til it disolves like bar of soap.
someone in this thread mentioned this too so i tried it.
but dependin on ya bucket size would determine wat size block/how many ya use. i use a 2.3 gallon bucket for my deal and use two blocks. find tehm at wal-mart in air freshner rack by all the glade plugins. either almost mid-bottom to bottom of shelf at my wal-mart. comes in looks like small flat cereal bowl.
ya cant miss them. they got others but teh generic... well, ya get wat ya pay for. alot of added nothin in it imo. but i use two them for one bucket and mix half full hot water and dissolve the 2. then i save half in a jug. pour it into.... and add my soil moist. then when need to add more i got soem already mixed.
just warn ya every time ya pik ya nose or touch ya face the next day or two ya hands will smell like that stuff. so you'll prolly be so sik the smell before it actually does ya grow justice lol JMO
so yeah maybe wear gloves .
sorry im doin best i can hi. :)

hey HMG thanks for this great help , im going to start doing this today , but i have a question about soilmoist , we dont have great growshops in my local place , and i hardly can find anything , but is their another think i can use instead of soilmoist ?and about the ONA agent , i think i wont be able to find this here , and probably even the pharamacy.
hey zipflip thanks for the other info about the ONA , but what do you mean by the blocks ?
are they like the one used in the toilet under the seat to make a soup freshning smell ?
or the ones they use to put around the room to make a nice smell ?

and what about the lasting of this freshning , i dont think it last more then 2 weeks but its good for me :)
any help will greatly appreciate it.

I made one of these and I like it real well so far. I am not having a problem with odor yet, however, so I really cant say how well it works. Sure does make my room smell nice, tho.
One thing...finding that perfect muffin fan isnt all that crucial--the fan I found is actually square and simplu sits on top of my bucket. Being square over a round opening, there are natural open spaces which serve for air-intake, making drilling holes in the bucket unnesecarry. Plus, I didnt have to take the fan stand off. Just put the water, soil moist crystals in, add the ONA and plop the dan on top. Granted, mine doesnt look as cool and "finished", but it works just as well!
Im so grateful this great, simple and cheap little device was posted.

Lass

Real78, I know last you had asked me if my Charcoal filter (Like DLTokers) worked I can now say it is working amazily well. I get no smell at all and the new fan pulls a bit of a negitive air so now the whole shed stays clean smelling now.

Latest posts

Back