Burping sheep increase global warming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

POTUS

Sheep in New Zealand are burping so much that they are damaging the environment. The wooly creatures' burps are actually producing more than half of the country's greenhouse gas.

The animals fill up with wind when they eat grass and this can only be released by burping. When they burp they produce a greenhouse gas called methane which adds to global warming.

Scientists have fitted some sheep with special machines to measure exactly how much gas is produced when they burp. They hope this will help them to invent food that will stop the animals producing so much wind.

A farmer from New Zealand said: "They can blow up like a huge balloon and it's all gas."

If scientists can't stop sheep burping so much, farmers will be taxed for the wind that their animals produce.

SheepNews.JPG

SheepDip.JPG

Oh my crap. I must be stoned to be believing this. I heard something about cows and farts too causing global warming. Too funny.

Sheep Belching, Cows Farting, The End Is Near!

TEOTWAWKI
(The end of the world as we know it)

New Zealand has a ratio of sheep to people of 8 to one. With 4.3 million people, that means they have 34.4 Million sheep in an area the size of Colorado.

That's a lot of sheep belching.

"You cannot stop a sheep belching or farting, but you can make sure its eructations are less damaging to the environment. Belches and, to a far lesser degree, farts from sheep, cows and other farm animals account for around 20% of global methane emissions. The gas is a potent source of global warming because, volume for volume, it traps 23 times as much heat as the more plentiful carbon dioxide."
www.apostropher.com/blog/archives/001880.html

Using a pharmaceutical approach, a prototype vaccine against three species of microbe that produce methane in sheep's stomachs reduced methane belches by eight per cent in a 13-hour test. Scientists believe they can tweak the vaccine so that it combats more of the remaining methane-inducing germs.

It's not just a movie...

Apocalypse Now by Cow

The world may not end with a bang or even a whimper — just a burp.

This is the worrying scenario sketched by a French expert, who has discovered that the world's cattle are huge contributors to global warming because of the methane emitted by their belches.

The bovine role in TEOTWAWKI (The End of the World As We Know It) scenarios has so far remained remote, but Australian scientists working away quietly at the CSIRO may yet produce a solution.

Until now, the spotlight has been on cars, trucks, power stations and factories that burn fossil fuels and spew out gigatonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2), the principal greenhouse gas.

Cow farting has also been fingered. But the good news is that, when it comes to this, we can all breathe a little easier.

According to a researcher at the Climate Mission at the Caisse des Depots, a French state-owned bank, farm animal belching must shoulder some of the blame.

"Bovine flatulence plays a negligible role in global warming," is the prim assessment of researcher Benoit Leguet.

His work seems offbeat, but its purpose is serious - to pinpoint major sources of greenhouse gas that have escaped notice simply because climatology is such a young science.

France's 20 million cows account for an astonishing 6.5 per cent of national greenhouse-gas emissions, according to his estimates.
Each year, their belches send 26 million tonnes of these gases into the atmosphere.

Their faeces - "dejection bovine," to use the poetic-sounding French phrase - account for another 12 million tonnes.
Compare that with the 12 million tonnes of gas emitted by French oil refineries, demonised by greenies as climate-killers.

Nor is bovine gas just any old gas.

It comprises methane and nitrous oxide, which volume-for-volume are 21 and 310 times more effective at trapping solar heat respectively than boring CO2.

By itself, methane is to blame for a fifth of the man-made greenhouse effect of the past 200 years.

Agriculture and forestry have long been identified as major factors in the greenhouse debate, both as contributors to and mitigators of the problem.
But accurate data is sparse, and this has made political decisions extraordinarily difficult.

For instance, negotiations on land use tied up conclusion of the UN's Kyoto Protocol for years as countries squabbled over concessions that would cut the cost of reducing pollution by road traffic or industry.
Yet scientists warned the politicos that the assumption that forests are "carbon sinks" that safely soak up CO2 was uncertain and possibly dangerous.

France's cow population, according to the new study, accounts for 80 per cent of emissions from farm animals, with the rest generated by sheep, goats, pigs and fowl.

France has the biggest agricultural economy in the European Union. Other countries that have big bovine populations include the United States, Argentina and Australia, and these too are likely to be interested in the figures.

The paper sketches several ideas for attenuating bovine pollution.
Higher-protein fodder or feed as soya can reduce the gastric fermentation that produces these gases, and faecal waste can be put in a closed silo that traps the methane, which can then be burned as a biofuel.
Apocalypse cow

Hey Potus- you bored today?
You better delete this thread before Hick sees it- you know how he feels about our ovine and bovine friends!

BBFan said:
Hey Potus- you bored today?
You better delete this thread before Hick sees it- you know how he feels about our ovine and bovine friends!
I was reading the news and the sheep belches were actually in the news. I thought immediately of Hicks Avatar. That's the whole reason I posted it! hehe

.. What the heck??... Is it Hicks turn in the barrel today?.. LOL dissin' my sheep, my tin foil hat, accused of being DEA.???
man, some days it would just pay to stay in bed.. :p

hXXp://www.gas-x.com/ .... "solved".. :rofl:

So let me get this right hick..your an undercover farting, belching, tin foil hat wearing narcotics sheep officer? WOW think the WOD went to far this time :p
I said undercover..from looking at your outfit. looks like your heading up a beastiality prostitution ring bust. ROFL

Maybe they should attach a type of "Converter" to the mouth and anus of the sheep. This way, when it belches or farts, the methane will be converted into pure, drinkable water. :rofl:

Great way to start the morning....
thanks Potus...
one more thing to think about.

TerrorAP2 said:
Maybe they should attach a type of "Converter" to the mouth and anus of the sheep. This way, when it belches or farts, the methane will be converted into pure, drinkable water.
Yeah, uh-huh, "Mommy, Mommy, I'm thirsty!"

"Ok, go suck on a sheep's butt, Junior"

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

POTUS said:
Yeah, uh-huh, "Mommy, Mommy, I'm thirsty!"

"Ok, go suck on a sheep's butt, Junior"

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

:rofl:

No!!

There would be a bucket underneath the apparatus, that collects the water. I would be damned if I'm going to suck on a sheep's butt! :holysheep:

what about human farts?

I believe thats where the true problem lies

Latest posts

Back