Cannabis News Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moar Pot News

FEDERAL
The Federal Aviation Administration posted a notice about employee drug testing, noting that marijuana is included and prohibited despite state legalization.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said in a letter to colleagues that the body's passage of a federal marijuana legalization bill "advances historic criminal justice reform and opens the doors of opportunity for so many harmed by the consequences of cannabis criminalization."

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) spoke about the benefits of medical cannabis and said "the effects don’t seem, you know, a lot more harmful than the effects of alcohol."

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) said she has never used marijuana but that the "people of Michigan voted to legalize it and so, you know, that certainly is something people in Michigan have supported."

Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) said he doesn't use cannabis because he's "had family members who have had a lot of drug issues, and so I’m not going to do it."

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) said there's "increasing medical evidence that the potency of cannabis that’s currently used has been associated with an increase incidence of serious mental illness among adolescents."

Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX) said he voted against a federal marijuana legalization bill because he is concerned about impaired driving.

Rep. Josh Gotthiemer (D-NJ) tweeted, "Law enforcement should have all the resources they need to keep our roads safe. That’s why the House just passed my bipartisan legislation to invest in technologies & methods to determine if a driver is impaired by marijuana in their system."

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC) tweeted, "Yesterday I got to meet Weldon Angelos. Weldon was fully pardoned by President political name after being sentenced to 55 years for cannabis related offenses."

Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME) tweeted, "We voted to decriminalize marijuana on the federal level to correct historical injustices of our failed 50-year War on Drugs."

Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-VA) tweeted, "The Medical Marijuana Research Act allows work to be done to understand marijuana's medical properties, how it could help people, and potential long-term negative effects."

This is it for Monday!

STATES
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) said his administration is looking at ways it can jumpstart medical cannabis business licensing.

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D) tweeted, "It's been one week since we legalized the sale of recreational cannabis. We're excited for the future of cannabis and what this means for New Mexico." She also tweeted, "Cannabis is open for business across New Mexico and it's already making a splash. Legalized cannabis means new opportunities and good-paying jobs. I can't wait to see what's next for cannabis in the Land of Enchantment!"

Pennsylvania Democratic gubernatorial candidate Josh Shapiro, currently the attorney general, tweeted, "Here’s a plan that would deliver billions of dollars in revenue to Pennsylvania: Legalize marijuana. Tax it. Regulate it. Expunge records. Boost the economy." Separately, senators announced they plan to file legislation to ban delta-8 THC products.

Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate Nikki Fried, currently the agriculture commissioner, tweeted, "Even though Black people make up only 17% of our state’s population, nearly half of those arrested for cannabis possession were Black. This blatant discrimination is something we have the ability to rectify through decriminalization, and morally we must."

The Washington, D.C. Council chairman spoke about the failure of his bill to let adults self-certify as medical cannabis patients and crack down on unlicensed marijuana "gifting" businesses.

The Iowa House Judiciary Committee chairman said he would "never support" legalizing marijuana.

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court heard oral arguments in a case about municipal marijuana licensing jurisdiction.

Mississippi regulators released draft medical cannabis rules for public comment.

Arizona regulators held a lottery to award marijuana social equity business licenses.

Maine regulators defended that state's residency requirements for medical cannabis business ownership in arguments before a federal appeals court.

Connecticut's Social Equity Council rejected a proposal to loosen tax disclosure requirements for investors who want to partner with marijuana equity business applicants.

Oregon regulators published a bulletin on a new marijuana license moratorium.

Louisiana's medical cannabis program is seeing huge growth in patient counts and purchases.

New Jersey regulators are expected to consider measures to allow recreational marijuana sales to begin at a meeting on Monday.

Vermont regulators will vote on marijuana business pre-qualification recommendations on Monday.

Alaska regulators will consider marijuana business issues on Wednesday and Thursday.

What a fking moron.

Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX) said he voted against a federal marijuana legalization bill becuse he is concerned about impaired driving
When I worked ambulance and we transported MVA victims to hospital the drunks were always so easy to tell why they crashed, the stoners were just hanging out saying am I going to be OK, and very aware of where they were and that they were in a crash,(Cops never knew they were high most times unless some snot nosed kid right out of training /Drug rec)
Drunks mostly fought with you and had to be restrained. I much rather see a pot smoker driving than a drunk blown out of their mind not knowing they are even driving a car.
Yep.

The Pot News for Tuesday

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
More than two-thirds of House and Senate conferees on the America COMPETES Act have already voted for or cosponsored cannabis banking legislation—and House Financial Services Committee Chairwoman Maxine Waters (D-CA) listed the reform as among the “priorities” as she heads into negotiations with the Senate.
North Dakota activists filed a marijuana legalization initiative they hope to place on the November ballot.
Maryland lawmakers voted—unanimously—to send Gov. Larry Hogan (R)a bill to create a fund for providing "cost-free" access to psychedelics like psilocybin, MDMA and ketamine to military veterans with PTSD and traumatic brain injury.
The Oklahoma Senate Health and Human Services Committee approved a bill to encourage research on the medical benefits of psilocybin—but deleted a House-passed provision that would have broadly decriminalized possession of the psychedelic.
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) wrote in a new Marijuana Moment op-ed that the House—by passing federal cannabis legalization, research and banking bills—"has done its job and set the table for success in the Senate and ultimately for the American people."

A Pennsylvania Republican senator said he will soon file a bill to legalize medical cannabis edibles, and he’s circulating a cosponsorship memo to line up more support from colleagues.

Moar!

FEDERAL
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-OR) said that once a marijuana legalization bill is formally introduced he wants to "work with both sides to have hearings as quickly as possible."

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) said she would sit down with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) to learn more about his forthcoming marijuana legalization bill.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) said it is "premature" to legalize marijuana and that "we need to have some serious studies into the impact on developing children’s brains and pregnant women."

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) said using marijuana is "against my faith, so for a couple of reasons I don’t use it and I would not vote to make it legal.”

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) said he has "serious doubts" about legalizing marijuana.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) said he hasn't used marijuana and that "any foreign substance you inhale into your lungs is harmful."

Sen. Roger Marshall (R-KS) said he thinks marijuana is “very unhealthy” and is a “gateway drug.”

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) said he doesn't use cannabis.

Rep. Donald Payne (D-NJ) tweeted, "April is National Cannabis Awareness Month. Recently, I voted to pass the MORE Act to decriminalize cannabis nationwide and expunging the records of Americans arrested for cannabis-related offenses. It is time Americans learned more about the health-related benefits of cannabis."

Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL) tweeted, "I voted YES on the #MOREAct because it will expunge the records of those harmed by cannabis criminalization, create opportunities for all to participate in the legal cannabis industry and decriminalize cannabis at the federal level."

Florida Democratic Senate candidate Allen Ellison tweeted, "In Florida, manufacturing, selling, or possessing marijuana with the intent to sell, is a 3rd degree felony, punishable with up to 5 years in prison & a fine of up to $5k. Today, 40k people are in prison for weed offenses. I’ll work to legalize marijuana."

That’s all Folks!

STATES
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D), reacting to regulators voting to allow recreational marijuana sales to begin at some existing medical cannabis dispensaries as soon as next month, tweeted, "I applaud @NewJerseyCRC for approving seven alternative treatment centers to expand to recreational cannabis sales and over 100 conditional licenses. This is a monumental step in our work to create a new cannabis industry." Meanwhile, the Senate president said he will move ahead with oversight hearings, tweeting, "I am happy to see that progress has been made by the @NewJerseyCRC, but we need to find ways to do better & in a timely way. Going forward, our focus should be to find solutions to enact a legal marijuana market that operates safely, fairly & effectively."

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) signed legislation making it so medical cannabis patients won't have to register with state officials after receiving doctors' recommendations.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson (R) said he thinks discussions about marijuana legalization are effectively inevitable but declined to weigh in on specific proposals.

The Wisconsin Assembly Committee on Insurance, Licensing and Forestry scheduled a hearing on a medical cannabis bill for 4/20.

A Pennsylvania senator authored an op-ed about the need to legalize marijuana.

Massachusetts regulators are accepting public comment on draft marijuana business control and ownership guidance.

Ohio regulators are working to more than double the number of medical cannabis dispensary licenses.

Oregon's drug decriminalization and treatment funding oversight panel created new subcommittees.

Washington State marijuana regulators are seeking feedback on conceptual draft rules related to service and filing of documents by electronic transmission.

Iowa regulators published a list of licensed hemp businesses.

California regulators are conducting a survey about how to best serve cannabis businesses.

Extra extra read all about it!

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
Two Delaware House committees approved a pair of complementary marijuana bills—one to simply legalize possession and another to regulate cannabis commerce. The two-track effort comes after a bill with both elements narrowly failed on the floor last month—and has tentative support from the House speaker, who otherwise opposes legalization in general.
A new poll found that a majority of Democratic voters say it is a “top” or “important” priority for the Democratic-controlled Senate and House to legalize marijuana. Across all voters, 41 percent say the same—a notable showing for an issue long dismissed as frivolous.

The Pennsylvania Senate approved a marijuana banking bill. The state-level move could add pressure on Congress to enact the federal protections that cannabis businesses are pushing for.
South Dakota activists issued a "yellow alert" for the signature drive to place a marijuana legalization initiative on the November ballot as next month's deadline approaches. They want people to sign up to help collect enough valid petitions to qualify.
The Republican-controlled Wisconsin Senate Insurance, Licensing and Forestry Committee scheduled a hearing on a limited medical cannabis bill for 4/20—and Democrats are not amused, calling it a "cynical political ploy that gives people false hope” after the session has already effectively ended for the year.
A New York senator filed a bill to encourage banks to work with marijuana businesses by allowing regulators to share and confirm cannabis licensee information for financial institutions.

A new poll found that Europeans across eight countries support legalizing marijuana, with an average of 55 percent backing the reform. The survey also asked about which cannabis regulatory models people favor.

Extra extra!

FEDERAL
The Congressional Research Service published an overview of how lawmakers could address hemp issues in the next Farm Bill.

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said, "If Republicans believed in states’ rights…they’d respect the right of states to legalize marijuana."

Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ) said he thinks state-legal marijuana businesses "should have access to the banking system, but I’ll have to look at the details" of a broader legalization bill.

Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO) tweeted, "When it comes to cannabis reform, the question is also what can get passed this year? The answer? #SAFEBanking"

Former Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-VA) tweeted, "I grew hemp. I own a distillery. My wife makes whiskey. I love freedom. If I ran for VA Gov, I would push to legalize marijuana. Virginia’s Ag prowess & tobacco infrastructure make this a no-brainer. Rural areas lag behind other areas of the Commonwealth economically. Look ahead."

Arizona Democratic congressional candidate Delina DiSanto tweeted, "I have been saying for years to #DecriminalizeMarijuana on the federal level. Let Veterans be able to get marijuana. It’s imperative for their health for many of them. Let legal marijuana growers/dispensaries be able to use banks for sales/income. It’s safer and secure for them."

STATES
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's (D) executive order consolidating marijuana and hemp regulation under a newly renamed Cannabis Regulatory Agency took effect.

The Illinois Senate approved a bill to consolidate the application processes to work in the medical cannabis and adult-use marijuana industries.

Virginia's Senate president pro tempore tweeted, "The Governor can uphold a veto with Republican votes only as it takes 2/3 to override. On amendments he needs a majority to agree with him. He needs Senate Democrats to help him. One of his amendments is to recriminalize marijuana. Our answer to that: [no, no, no, no gif]"

New Jersey's Senate president tweeted, "I have fought for a legal marijuana market for the last 17 years, and I will not stop until NJ’s is up and running."

The Pennsylvania Senate Health and Human Services Committee approved a bill to restrict workplace protections for medical cannabis patients in safety-sensitive positions.

The Maryland House Judiciary Committee chairman spoke about the marijuana legalization legislation he sponsored that was enacted.

A Missouri representative said he doesn't think his psychedelics bill is "super likely to be signed into law this year as it's a very new issue."

Alaska's top marijuana regulator is stepping down.

Washington State regulators proposed cannabis social equity rules.

Oklahoma medical cannabis regulators are directing $2 million in revenue to the Office of Juvenile Affairs to fund substance misuse interventions.

Nevada regulators hosted the U.S. Virgin Islands's new top cannabis regulator.

I like this thread.

please tell us why?

for me , it’s the heartbeat of America and good old American pot politics

it is a keep your ear on the ground for me , to keep up with what is going on locally , nationally , federally , and worldwide

each one of those headlines are clickable like a link and one can read the entire story

but I was born with ants in my pants and I like the headlines only , but once in awhile I will click the link and read the entire article

Hot off the Press!

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said he and Sens. Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Cory Booker (D-NJ) need more time to rework a marijuana legalization bill before it can be filed. Instead of this month, as previously stated, it’ll be “before the August recess.” Removing or scaling back cannabis testing for federal workers is one key area undergoing revision, among others the senators flagged in a press release.

Reps. Dave Joyce (R-OH), Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) and Brian Mast (R-FL)filed a bill directing the attorney general to form a commission to make recommendations on a regulatory system for marijuana that models alcohol rules.
The Department of Justice agreed to return more than $1 million in cash seized from an armored car company that was transporting proceeds from legal marijuana dispensaries to banks.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) announced that recreational marijuana sales will start the day after 4/20. Separately, the state attorney general issued a memo clarifying that police can’t be punished for buying or using legal cannabis while off duty.

The New Hampshire Senate Judiciary Committee approved a House-passed bill to legalize marijuana possession and personal cultivation. It’s the first time a legal recreational cannabis bill has ever advanced in the chamber.
New York regulators approved the first 52 conditional recreational marijuana cultivation licenses to prepare the market for launch this year. They also revised medical cannabis home grow rules to remove certain restrictions for patients.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) said he wants to explore "having greenhouse space” to grow marijuana on the rooftops of public housing buildings. The innovative idea could run afoul of the federal government, which provides funding to support the NYC Housing Authority.

A new poll found that 58 percent of Louisiana voters support legalizing marijuana—including a plurality of Republicans.
In a new Marijuana Moment op-ed, Bridge West Consulting's Ari Hoffnungargues that New York should help ensure the cannabis market isn’t dominated by large companies by offering craft cultivators tax breaks like the ones that craft beer breweries get.

Still hot!

/ FEDERAL
The Department of Veterans Affairs finalized rules for a new grants program on suicide prevention services for military veterans that specifically says it won’t support any treatments involving the use of marijuana.

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) was given a “True Blue” award from Family Research Council Action in part for working to "reject the increasing acceptance of marijuana use."

Rep. Barry Moore (R-AL) visited a hemp processing facility.

Pennsylvania Democratic Senate candidate John Fetterman tweeted, "I was the only candidate who said it in 2016, and I’ll keep saying it until we make it happen: Legal Weed for PA + USA 🇺🇸✅ Let’s address the systemic racism in our nation’s drug policy + end the racist War on Drugs." He also tweeted, "Legal marijuana sales in the U.S. are expected to hit $33 billion this year 🤯 ✅ Revenue. ✅ Justice. ✅ Jobs. ✅ Freedom. ✅ Farmers. ✅ Veterans. It’s time PA got a piece of the canna pie."

cooling down now

STATES
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul's (D) office is working to make appointments to the Cannabis Advisory Board, which it says will hold its first meeting next month.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) said that while launching marijuana sales "took longer than any of us wanted," he "would rather us be right than fast" and that he wants the state to "be a national model."

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf (D) tweeted, "Pennsylvania needs to reassess its flawed laws. We should close the background check loophole on guns and legalize recreational marijuana."

Kentucky lawmakers sent Gov. Andy Beshear (D) a bill to create a medical cannabis research center.

The Tennessee House Criminal Justice Committee held a hearing on a medical cannabis bill.

A New Mexico judge ordered regulators and a cannabis producer to come to an agreement on a testing regimen to allow the company to begin selling its products again following reports of mold on some products.

New York regulators filed emergency rules on hemp cultivation licenses and research authorizations.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is accepting applications for grants programs to fund cleanup and remediation of illicit cannabis cultivation impacts on public land and enhancing watersheds and communities.

Colorado's Retail Marijuana Public Health Advisory Committee will meet on Monday.

Still hot!

/ FEDERAL
The Department of Veterans Affairs finalized rules for a new grants program on suicide prevention services for military veterans that specifically says it won’t support any treatments involving the use of marijuana.

Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) was given a “True Blue” award from Family Research Council Action in part for working to "reject the increasing acceptance of marijuana use."

Rep. Barry Moore (R-AL) visited a hemp processing facility.

Pennsylvania Democratic Senate candidate John Fetterman tweeted, "I was the only candidate who said it in 2016, and I’ll keep saying it until we make it happen: Legal Weed for PA + USA 🇺🇸✅ Let’s address the systemic racism in our nation’s drug policy + end the racist War on Drugs." He also tweeted, "Legal marijuana sales in the U.S. are expected to hit $33 billion this year 🤯 ✅ Revenue. ✅ Justice. ✅ Jobs. ✅ Freedom. ✅ Farmers. ✅ Veterans. It’s time PA got a piece of the canna pie."

cooling down now

STATES
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul's (D) office is working to make appointments to the Cannabis Advisory Board, which it says will hold its first meeting next month.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) said that while launching marijuana sales "took longer than any of us wanted," he "would rather us be right than fast" and that he wants the state to "be a national model."

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf (D) tweeted, "Pennsylvania needs to reassess its flawed laws. We should close the background check loophole on guns and legalize recreational marijuana."

Kentucky lawmakers sent Gov. Andy Beshear (D) a bill to create a medical cannabis research center.

The Tennessee House Criminal Justice Committee held a hearing on a medical cannabis bill.

A New Mexico judge ordered regulators and a cannabis producer to come to an agreement on a testing regimen to allow the company to begin selling its products again following reports of mold on some products.

New York regulators filed emergency rules on hemp cultivation licenses and research authorizations.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is accepting applications for grants programs to fund cleanup and remediation of illicit cannabis cultivation impacts on public land and enhancing watersheds and communities.

Colorado's Retail Marijuana Public Health Advisory Committee will meet on Monday.
Thanx big and good morning to you😎

“Legalization” has come and gone. It’s a controlled substance and a money grab now. Call me old fashioned but I would much rather take a misdemeanor possession ticket in 2002 then a felony DUI or worse tax evasion in 2022.

Todays News

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
The Drug Enforcement Administration admitted in a new performance budget report submitted to Congress that "Mexican marijuana has largely been supplanted by domestic-produced” cannabis "as states enact voter referenda and legislation.” The agency also said it expects to license two more legal cultivators of marijuana to be used in research this year, for a total of six.
Rep. Anthony Brown (D-MD) filed a new bill to make it so marijuana penalties in the military would be reduced so they are on par with those for alcohol.
The Colorado House of Representatives passed a bill to legalize MDMA in the state when it gets FDA approval. The legislation now heads to the Senate, where a hearing is scheduled for April 25.
The Hawaii House Health, Human Services and Homelessness Committeeunanimously approved a Senate-passed resolution calling on state officials to form a psilocybin working group to explore the therapeutic potential of the psychedelic.

Latest posts

Back