Congress Voted Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
U.S. House votes 262-165 to continue funding DEA's war on medical marijuana patients

On July 25, 2007, the U.S. House of Representatives defeated by a vote of 165-262 an amendment that would have prevented the DEA and the U.S. Justice Department from arresting or prosecuting medical marijuana patients and providers in the 12 states where medical marijuana is legal.
Congressmen Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.) sponsored the amendment.
Although we lost, the vote was a record showing of congressional support, in part because of the more than 24,000 letters that MPP members and allies sent to their U.S. representatives in the weeks leading up to the vote.
Speaking on the House floor in favor of the amendment, Congressman Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) told an emotional story about his close friend, a former Navy SEAL, who died of pancreatic cancer but used medical marijuana to ease his final months.
Congressman Rohrabacher spoke of the deaths of his mother and brother from cancer, stating, "If marijuana would have helped them, it would have been a horrible thing to think that federal agents would have come in and interfered with that, if their doctor had recommended it."
Speaking in opposition to the amendment, Congressman Dave Weldon (R-Fla.) falsely claimed that marijuana "does cause cancer. I've seen it." He added, "Most people who want to use [medical marijuana] want to get high."
This is only the fifth time in history that the full House has voted on binding legislation to end the federal government's war on medical marijuana patients. (The U.S. Senate never has.)
Leading up to the vote, the MPP staff and our lobbyists had dozens of meetings with House members. The addition of former Congressman Bob Barr (R-Ga.) to our lobbying ranks this year gave a boost to our efforts.
MPP also generated a record amount of grassroots support for the amendment, delivering hundreds of patient anecdotes and testimony to members of Congress. MPP coordinated an open letter to Congress from health and medical organizations and helped draft the text of the amendment.
Now that the amendment has received 165 votes, in the next year we'll be targeting a smaller number of districts to pick up the remaining 53 votes we need to reach a 218-vote majority.
The momentum is on our side, and we'll keep fighting until Congress listens to the American people and ends the government's cruel and needless war on sick people. We are hopeful for change, as our campaign in New Hampshire has already gotten the majority — 10 out of 17, including U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) — of the presidential candidates to pledge to end the federal government’s war on medical marijuana users. The days of DEA raids on seriously ill people are numbered.

When is the congress going to Give it Up and just let it be that there NO END to using MJ......Put it on the market like alchoul!!!!!! I rather smoke my pot in public, then drink in public!!!

I am going to post this everywhere! People need to know what is going on in this world!

U bet !! I got this from MPP.ORG, It a good place the check out the new MMJ and be able to check out which state has passed the MMJ Laws..

Flyinghigh said:
When is the congress going to Give it Up and just let it be that there NO END to using MJ......Put it on the market like alchoul!!!!!! I rather smoke my pot in public, then drink in public!!!

:headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2:

Yo Flyer,
Thanks for posting that. It was good to hear that we are that much closer.
Think I will offer up some good thoughts towards this, Hey !!! maybe we should slap a bit of MoJo on it to get it growing huh ?
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Wow this is awesome. This is a big move for us. And a big load off my back. Me and my girl were just about to get our MJ license's and i was worried about the DEA knocking on my door. So does anyone else here live in a state where you can get a card?

Flyinghigh said:
Speaking in opposition to the amendment, Congressman Dave Weldon (R-Fla.) falsely claimed that marijuana "does cause cancer. I've seen it."

He seen it huh, but if someone ALREADY has CANCER so freakin what if it causes it (which can't be proven becuase it hasn't been tested). Like telling a cancer patient 1 week before he dies..."you can't take any more morphine cuz it will cause organ damage" ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Listenning to the radio this morning they say that one Joint is as much as 5 cigs. and they has said that those that smoke cigs will get emphancima and cancer and those that smoke MJ there Lungs will shut down..

We all got to Die Someday so let ME enjoy my MJ !!!
Besides the gov. take care of those OTHER SICK people!! So go figure!

Flyinghigh said:
Listenning to the radio this morning they say that one Joint is as much as 5 cigs. and they has said that those that smoke cigs will get emphancima and cancer and those that smoke MJ there Lungs will shut down..

We all got to Die Someday so let ME enjoy my MJ !!!
Besides the gov. take care of those OTHER SICK people!! So go figure!

Yea same scare tactics from the old school when they were trying to outlaw it. They are telling us a natural herb is worse for your lungs than a cig with all the junk they put in there like fiberglass, and glue for the paper and the other stuff that goes POP or SIZZLE when you smoke a cig. but I never hear when I burn MJ unless its a seed poping

same scare tactics from the old school
This scare tactic is sadly true...well, the 5 cig=1 j thing, don't know about the shutting down of your lungs...lol. That sounds a lil ridiculous but who knows? Ever fired up a joint and off of the 1st toke the paper gets covered in resin? Or took a clean bong, smoked in it a few times and notice it's covered in resin? I'm sure resin covered lungs are NOT healthy lungs...you can bet on that.

Put it on the market like alchoul!!!!!!
They couldn't match the amount of money, with MJ tax, that the gov is making right now from busting and fining us. I don't think the US will legalize MJ...too much money at stake. WE are funding the war on drugs, everytime we're(smokers) are caught with any amount. Theres court costs, drug funds, etc. Legalizing it, from a business stand point(and thats what the US is), would be down right stupid.

I think if it were to be allowed in the US then there is a good chance that the rest of the world may follow. We live in hope.

MJ isnt sold like alchohol in the US because the best MJ does not come from america - some famous comedian

I've been smoking weed for 57 years. Until I read this thread, I was feeling just fine. I'm getting woosy now...hehe :hubba:

A recent study shows that a long term user of MJ has no more chance of causing cancer then that of a non-smoker of anything.

My 74th is coming soon. My doc says I'll live to 90 or better.

MJ is like everything else, used in moderation, it's perfectly fine for you.

If it's abused and smoked 24/7 in stupid amounts, sure, it'll kill you as fast as drinking too much water will.

Latest posts

Back