Controversary Over Parents Treating Autistic Son With MMJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/25/parents-treat-severely-autistic-child-with-medical-marijuana/

Controversary Over Parents Treating Autistic Son With MMJ

An Oregon family has turned to medical marijuana to manage their son's severe autistic rage, KPTV reported.

Alex Echols, 11, is severely autistic, and his doctor said Alex's self-destructive behavior is brought on by tuberous sclerosis, a rare, genetic disorder that affects about 50,000 people in the U.S.

The disorder causes unregulated growth of non-malignant tissue in organs. In Alex's case, his neurologist said growths in Alex's brain have led to seizures and autism.

Echols said by the time Alex was 5, he exhibited intense, self-directed rage. Echols showed us home videos of the rage. He said they videotaped the episodes to show doctors the injuries were self-inflicted.

His parents got him a helmet to protect his head, swaddled him like a newborn and tried mood-altering drugs to control the behavior, with little success. When he was eight years old, the Echols made the heartbreaking decision to move Alex into a state-funded group home.

But was there a way to help him? In late 2009, the Echols said they saw a television news story about a California woman who was using medical marijuana to treat her autistic son. The Echols researched Oregon's medical marijuana program, and in 2010, a doctor approved Alex for medical marijuana use.

Alex is now one of 58 minors currently protected under the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act. While autism is not a qualifying medical condition like cancer or severe pain, in Alex's case, his seizures were.
And after a few months of treatment, the Echols said they saw a dramatic improvement.

Echols said Alex's group home will not administer the marijuana, so, about three times a week off-site, his parents give Alex a liquid form of the drug by mouth.

While Dr. Colin Roberts, Alex's doctor and a pediatric neurologist at Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland, did not condone the treatment, he said he understood the family's desire to help their child.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has circulated a resolution that opposes the use of medical marijuana in children. Dr. Sharon Levy, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Boston's Children's Hospital and chairwoman of the AAP's committee on substance abuse, told FOX 12 marijuana is toxic to children's developing brains. She also said enough isn't known about the drug's long-term effects.

The Echols have set up a Facebook page that chronicles Alex's journey. You can find their blog at www . facebook.com/alex.autism.rage.mmj

I seen that this morning on the news. Anybody with a problem helping that poor little boy from hurting himself like that,,, needs thier *** kicked.

Why is it that nobody seems to think that it is wrong to treat children with nasty nasty pharmaceuticals with a myriad of horrible side effects, but have a problem with a natural medicine with virtually no side effects that no one anywhere has ever died from using? What in the world is wrong with people? I'm with Weedhopper.

It makes me SICK THG how stupid PPL can be today with all the info we have.
I was just telling my Wife how I get so pissed when I see these Commercials about Pharm Meds. They take most the Comm telling you all the bad **** thier Meds can do you,,, and PPL still go to the Doc and ask for these nasty *** meds. I just dont get how Mankind can be so so Stupid and just close thier eyes to the side effects just because a Docter that is on the take from Big Pill Makers,,,says its OK to take it. Yet they see a poor little child suffering and they will turn a blind eye because its the KILLER WEED. Makes me wanna slap the crap outta them. Freaken Morons. They need to get thier asses out of the Dark Ages and join the 21st century. I wont even go into the Religious part of this crap.

You know as a mom of a child that has epilepsy, I don't know if i would have given him cannabis or not as a young kid. I have to scream now:
IF THEY WOULD STUDY IT and find the appropriate dose to cover seizures all the time, I would. But no such studies exist on dosing that I know of. Does Marijuana stay in the system and control seizures? At what dose? What kind of seizures is it helpful for? It makes me crazy that we don't have answers cause there is no money in studying it. I want to swear here.

yes, let's avoid the topic of religion, shall we? ...lol...:rolleyes:

Big pharma companies want and need thier monies and by keepin things like mj out of funding in the study keep the big pharmas happy cause they knows folks need to be medicated with there "manufactured" products ifin they let folks knows the benifits to mj for all sorts of human and animal ailments the fact be folks can in fact grows thier own and self treat fur thier ailments and that dont line the bigs pockets so they make stories and refuse funding in public presents until they can figure out how "THEY" can make money from mj and find a way to get control of it so people have to go through them. It be nasty ways in business then gain my wife has cancer and I knows they have the cure but refuse to admit becaues this industry needs to stay alive for the sake of saving jobs. Im with Rose here cause I could now swear too ;)

BWD

Dead on Backwoods, it's all about how deep the Big Pharm's Lobbyists pockets go....

Every industry has some sort of hidden secret and it all boils down to money invested and jobs.

If an auto body repair guy stumbled on a way to stop rust from ever forming and he and his family ran a business for there entire lives and didnt knows how to do anythin else and the business employed his entire family would he tell folk what he found at risk of butting himself and family out of business? NOPE just like the scientists working on desease cures, they got cures but keep them for the ones who willin to pay fur it and the rest are told still working on it so they can "keep workin" on it and takes home the paycheque.

BWD

7greeneyes said:
yes, let's avoid the topic of religion, shall we? ...lol...:rolleyes:

I did.;) Dont want a good thread closed.

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Every industry has some sort of hidden secret and it all boils down to money invested and jobs.

If an auto body repair guy stumbled on a way to stop rust from ever forming and he and his family ran a business for there entire lives and didnt knows how to do anythin else and the business employed his entire family would he tell folk what he found at risk of butting himself and family out of business? NOPE just like the scientists working on desease cures, they got cures but keep them for the ones who willin to pay fur it and the rest are told still working on it so they can "keep workin" on it and takes home the paycheque.

BWD

Thoses that can afford the best pay through the nose but I know exactly what you mean, bud...

BackWoodsDrifter said:

BWD

Any person or company that would deny the world a discovery that could alter life for the better, but does not disclose it for selfish greedy reasons is beyond despicable. IMO, greed causes most of the problems in this country. The pharma companies do not need the money, they are simply greedy. I simply do not understand the mind-set of a lot of people....

exactly, Robert Galo, the man who discovered the HIV virus and has done quite a body of initial reasearch was quoted once in saying and I'm paraphrasing here "There's more money in treatment then there is a cure, that's why I'm stepping away and researching treatments more thoroughly..."

it's horrifying and disgusting...

And no matter what we do THG and 7Green we aint goin to change it its all bout Money and I only deal in skins.

BWD

Latest posts

Back