Cops: Illegal pot is growing problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
The recent eradication of two illegal marijuana grows that yielded more than 45,000 marijuana plants in El Dorado County with an estimated street value of more than $83 million is merely the tip of the iceberg.

The Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement’s Campaign Against Marijuana Planting (CAMP), whose primary function is to reduce the supply of marijuana by eradicating large marijuana crop sites, has seen a steady increase in the number of grows and the number of seizures.

“We’re finding more (illegal) grows each year,” said Michelle Gregory, CAMP spokeswoman. “We’d like to think we are getting better at finding them or there could be more grows.”

Locating the gardens, which are usually located in low-traffic and remote areas, takes time and resources.

“Sometimes we use air reconnaissance, other times we survey by ground, it will vary,” Gregory said. “We try not to get up in the air too much — they can hear the helicopter.”

She declined to elaborate on surveillance techniques, not wanting to tip off the growers.

Gregory said the Mexican Nationals who tend the gardens, are merely hired hands.

“A lot of times the gardens aren’t theirs. They are hired, or in some cases kidnapped from Mexico,” she said “They are told it’s their job to tend the grow and if they don’t their families are threatened.”

The men who spend much of the 6-month growing period camped near the illegal gardens are armed and dangerous.

“Our experience is that the majority have handguns and AK-47s seem to be popular” Gregory said.

She warns those who accidentally stumble upon a potential grow to leave the area immediately.

“People have been confronted in the past,” she said. “The Mexican Nationals are getting bolder.”

Two recent marijuana growing operations located in the foothills appear to have been Mexican National gardens, located in areas known for such illegal activity, according to law enforcement officials.

“Marijuana grows of this type are of always of great concern, not only for the safety of the community but the environment,” said Lt. Bryan Golmitz of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office. “Marijuana growers are very protective individuals and will protect their crops by dangerous means.”

On June 20 narcotics detectives located and eradicated an outdoor marijuana grow in El Dorado Hills in an area off Salmon Falls Road that spanned more than a three-mile area.

“We located about a mile of irrigation lines used to supply the plants with waster from remote watering sites,” Golmitz said.

Approximately 32,000 marijuana plants with an estimated street value in excess of $58 million were eradicated. No arrests have been made, but officials suspect Mexican Nationals, largely based on the size of the growing operation.

On July 1 multiple law enforcement agencies located marijuana gardens in the Stumpy Meadows area off Wentworth Springs Road. More than 15,000 plants with an estimated street value of $25 million were found.

“Evidence located in the gardens showed the suspects that were tending the gardens had been in the gardens as early as that morning, and in one garden, evidence showed the suspects had been armed,” Golmitz said.

For the illegal immigrants growing and tending to the marijuana gardens, it’s just business.

“These folks are also involved in weapons, cocaine and methamphetamine (trafficking),” Gregory said. “They’ll continue to come here and we’ll continue to try to push them out.”

hxxp://shuurl.com/C5753

I'd be more upset if they were taking down indoor grows... better qual of meds! ;-)

Anyway you look at it though, this sucks for someone...

On July 1 multiple law enforcement agencies located marijuana gardens in the Stumpy Meadows area off Wentworth Springs Road. More than 15,000 plants with an estimated street value of $25 million were found.

Wow. Almost $2000 per plant. I wonder how many other plants yield that kind of return. Sure would go a long way in saving a few family farms.

Another "collateral" of prohibition...
Poor people as slaves :(
Too sad.

That would be my excuse too if I were a me ican here illegally and I got caught growing. "they forced me to do it! They have my family a d they forced me to carry around guns, that they don't seem to fear. Its all their fault I am a poor poor slave...".

Which may be true of some, but definately not all. And I bet you some if these people are getting PAID to do it.

I don't have any problem with CAMP clearing grows from public lands but someone's back yard should be totally off limits.

If it MJ were legal these grows wouldn't be so common.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Gregory said. “They’ll continue to come here and we’ll continue to try to push them out.”

Yeah you'll win that fight. Idiots. What about the children OMG!

Lets remember, they were here first. This whole mexico/ us dates back to 1836. The Anasazi people date back to 1200 BC.

The cops have the upper hand in America to Americans.

If you are an illegal mexican. You can
1. bring a load with you ca-ching
2. grow a batch while you are here ca-ching
3. distribute for others ca-ching

and if you get caught, they send you home to visit your family until you decide to go back to America.

How does one create applicable drug law to an entire country that gives punishment to criminals, help to addicts, resources for victims when all you see is the inside of your booty but?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When this country finally legalizes, we are going to miss the old days.

Growing problem:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Growing Problem:rofl: :rofl:

How did i miss that

Shockeclipse said:
Which may be true of some, but definately not all.
Sorry, I misread the line that talked about those little 7.62 pests :)
Anyway, I think that legalization is the only way...

Latest posts

Back