Dead Space Heater! How cold can I still grow in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

degenerative_disc

Ok Guys

I am getting shed up and ready to start growing again and found that my space heater is fried. I have seeds germinating as we speak and was wondering how cold I can grow in? I figure as long as I can control frost and keep the temps above zero I might be able to grow, its still winter were i am and my shed is not heated until I can get into town and pick up another heater. So the shed is as cold as it gets outside but my lights should keep it above zero. Can it be done? Can I grow in the cold? What do you guys think?

Cheers!!!

Hi ya, DD. I'm having some cold temp issues, too, so I'll be watching your thread. In the meantime, I think I read that below 65F or so, growth will slow/stop but temps in the 60s won't kill the plant(s). It may be relevant whether you're growing in soil or hydro to get the right info.

Hey Art my old friend!
How have you been?

Ya I am revamping my shed and bumping up my hobbo grow to a modest upgraded 400w mh and changed my room. I will be growing in soil again and hope to double my outcome for this year in order to provide enough to last next winter. I ran out of last summers supply about 3 weeks ago. But I have also found that I smoke more no that I grow my own then when I baught. I didnt think of that. So I am going to ramp it up this summer and try to produce a little more. Glad to see your still here my friend look forward to another season with ya!!

Cheers!!!!

I'm well, thanks! Good to hear from you. I have a similar problem with low stash levels but for a different reason. I overgifted at Christmas :D. Doh!

I understand those oil-circulating heaters heat a modest-sized space pretty efficiently :) and are pretty affordable.

HIya DD & Artie V!:ciao:

yah I agree with Art V those oil filled heaters are pretty safe and fairly efficient as space heaters go...;)

How ya guys been? Good to see ya....:) Imo you really need to get your temps up DD not only for yer lil :baby: babies :baby: to do well but also to help influence them to become female plants too... I popped some beans last fall with cool temps in the 60s in my veg closet and I had the most miserable % of fem/male that I've ever had in my 15+ yrs of playing with mj growing... I'm pretty sure that the cool temps played a big part in that.
icon9.gif

Have you ever read mj breeder DJ Short's tips for getting more females from your seedlings? I've found it to be really useful info even when I fail to put the tips into practice...:hubba:

Happy Growing~!:cool:

Thanks Art
I use a little electric space heater with a temp control on it and thermastate so it keeps a constant temp for me. I think my last one cost about 30 bucks. But I am thinking with this new 400w mh lamp and the other flos i will be running it would keep my room above freezing I hope. Would hate to waste my seeds I have germinating.

cheers!!!

dirtyolsouth said:
HIya DD & Artie V!:ciao:

yah I agree with Art V those oil filled heaters are pretty safe and fairly efficient as space heaters go...;)

How ya been? Good to see ya....:) Imo you really need to get your temps up not only for yer lil babies to do well but also to help influence them to become female plants too... I popped some beans last fall with cool temps in the 60s in my veg closet and I had the most miserable % of fem/male that I've ever had in my 15+ yrs of playing with mj growing... I'm pretty sure that the cool temps played a big part in that.
icon9.gif

Have you ever read mj breeder DJ Short's tips for getting more females from your seedlings? I've found it to be really useful info even when I fail to put the tips into practice...:hubba:

Happy Growing~!:cool:

Wow, Dos peaked out his cave today, too! You guys must be starting to thaw out up there. Good to see ya, Dos!

Hey Dirty!!!! Good to see your still here too!!!!
Its nice to see familiar people when you come home!

Thanks for your imput I guess what I should do is not take the chance and get my butt into town and splurge the money to get another heater. I was just wondering how cold people have grown before.
I am revamping my hobbo set up that I was so proud of and successfull with last year for my very first attempt to a more you guys kind of set up. More pro then hobbo I guess.

Cheers!!!

Yupperz Art...

We didnt even get any of this last round of snow like Texas and the Gulf coast did but it's been the coldest winter I've seen in my 18 years in the midsouth...:hubba: Brrrrr... But I gotta say... my winter flowering is always my most dank of the year. It's SO much easier to keep things 75º in my bloom closet when it's 35º outside than when it's even in the 50s for overnight lows but damn those power bills sting like the cold wind...

DD... here's a link to that Stickey with DJ Short's tips for getting more gals from your seedlings. I kinda spaced to post it above... sunday wake 'n' bake, ya know?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21546

Peace~!:bong2:

ArtVandolay said:
Hi ya, DD. I'm having some cold temp issues, too, so I'll be watching your thread. In the meantime, I think I read that below 65F or so, growth will slow/stop but temps in the 60s won't kill the plant(s). It may be relevant whether you're growing in soil or hydro to get the right info.

Ahem. Mister, I think you got some 'splainin' to do.

Okay, guys, right there. It's one of those fraudulent fakers we've been warned about recently. I know for a near-fact that the real Art is in the sub-tropics.
:D

DD, can you keep the babes in the house under flouros till you can slide down the mountain and get another heater? Either way, good luck with the cold.

Hello.
IMO it will be too cool without the heater, they will grow so sssslllloooowww.

JMO

degenerative_disc said:
Hey Dirty!!!! Good to see your still here too!!!!
Its nice to see familiar people when you come home!

Thanks for your imput I guess what I should do is not take the chance and get my butt into town and splurge the money to get another heater. I was just wondering how cold people have grown before.
I am revamping my hobbo set up that I was so proud of and successfull with last year for my very first attempt to a more you guys kind of set up. More pro then hobbo I guess.

Cheers!!!

Hmmm....

Ideal temps for photosynthesis are around 77º. The growth rates slow down when temps are in the 60s as far as actual growing goes but with seedlings it's a different game. You might consider using a seedling heat mat to elevate the root zone temps. This really helps encourage explosive root growth and formation and it's all about what's going on under the soil. I've found that a decent heat mat under a tray of seedlings can really help keep temps much warmer for seedlings when the ambient temps dip down.

Peace!:cool:

Yes Pencil I may have to figure something else out. But my wife and kids do not know of my hobby wink wink so in the house will not be an option. Hey dman! Yes I guess i am going to have to start a fire or something lol to keep them happy.
Yes down the mountain I must go! I need the heater. I will take some pics if I can get my camera to thaw out long enough to take some shots of my upgraded hobbo set up and get you guys to give some ideas or guidence as to what you think.

Cheers!!!

degenerative_disc said:
I was just wondering how cold people have grown before.

Cheers!!!

A large factor is the genetics of the strain. Some strains can resist very cold climates and high-altitudes, where as others, cannot. Some strains are created to be grown in the cold and can withstand temperatures around 10-15 degrees Celsius, even much lower. With the strain Alaskan Delight you can still grow and harvest even in the ice and snow

And when your atmosphere is cold if you can at least get the soil warmer than the outside temperature things should be ok. I usually worry about the soil getting cold first, after that don't want the temperatures cold enough that it freezes the flowing fluids inside the plant.

Once when I was unable to control atmosphere temperature, and was unable to use an electric heater because of bill costs and noise (needed absolute silence), I used heat rocks. (pet stores) I used to own a 16 foot python, and had them left over, ...and a heating blanket I added at night when temperatures dropped even lower. (Hey, any heat was a life saver). I kept my pots on top of the flat heat rocks, and at night I'd turn on the blanket for a few hours.

Don't know if any of this info is handy

Thanks Bio
Good info there.

Here are some pics of what I got going on with this upgrade. If you guys see anything that you want to comment on feel free. All input is appreciated!!

Cheers!!!

Do you keep the 400MH going 24/7? What are the temps? I would be for adding more light, rather than getting a space heater. Those high bay lights like you have can usually be picked up for almost nothing and they emit a whole lot of heat.

Thanks Hemp Goddess!

Well I have not fired the thing up yet, still putting room together. I just got the high bay light and had it running for about a hour or so I could still touch the shade and the balst without burning my hand! It runs surprisingly cooler then I thought. Then I added my old flos to give some side lighting and i just have the 4 foot tubes for veging. Its all still in the works. You can also see the pic of my old 2 100w hps light rock that I pulled from my old hobbo set up. I am not sure if i am goin to add them to set up because I dont want my hydro bill shootingf through the roof.

Cheers!!!!

I've grown in cold spaces and the groth will come very slow if you have time you can and will get a good harvest. Some types of plants do not like the cold and will not bloom. If you start with all fem seeds and you do get blooms I gauranty you will produce a few seeds from the stress and they will all be female.
Good Luck and happy VDay

Thanks DJcoolj

I am just growing with my bag seed. My seeds are from 2003 and it is what i used for my grows last season and was happy with the resualts. I grew 11 plants last year and out of the 11 I had 3 go hermi on me and 2 die from sickness that I couldnt cure. and the 6 I grew gave me some nice smoke that I was pleased with. I have about 300 more of these seeds to play with and I am sure i will get some more nice smoke from these old bag seeds.

Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back