Dead Space Heater! How cold can I still grow in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those 300 watt giant CFL's in the picture? If so, where did you purchase them? I can only find them online so far and it's almost 50$ per light bulb

remember to keep these seeds seprate from your other bag seeds you may be supprised

Hey Bio sorry what picture are you refering? I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to light lingo here.

And

What do you mean DJ keep what seeds selerate?

Cheers!!!

Lol

Those big twirly light bulbs you have, ...are they 300 watt giant CFL's? (They are CFL's, but are they 300 watt giants?)

If they are, where did you purchase them? At a store, or online?

Ok Bio got ya now!

No they are 100 wat if I remember correctly they put out 1700 lumens each and I got them at my local hardware store. I just use them to provide a little extra light to the center of my plants and to add to the over all lumens I need to assist in budd production. They do alright by me.

Cheers!!!

Hey DD good to see you back in the game again. IMO a oil filled heater setting close to the circulation fan in the grow area works best the warm are get spread over the whole grow area better.

Green Mojo to get the grow started

Hey Ozzy good to see you too my friend. Yes if you look at the one pic I have a fan intake below the bench that will hold my plants up off the floor. This aids in little critters not able to get at them as easy. I have my small electric heater at floor level so that the intake air mixes with the warm air then circulates throughout the room.

Cheers!!!!

i have a hobbo grow in my shed too, I had to go to 12/12, because things was just getting to big (2' before flower). i have a 400 watt light hanging, with a 250 watt light with a built in ballast in there too. i used this for the heat so when lights are on, the heater never does. the space heater does not come on for a long while after lights out and only runs for minutes when it does come on. i am in a 4x4x6 room with 2" insulation (R12, doubled stacked on top and bottom) all the way around the room. my temps with lights on is 80, lights off 60. been in flower for almost a week and no signs of cold stress. all temps are taken at the pot, little ways below the conapy and jsut above the soil. also using cp fans for air exchange while lights on, and still holds 80 even pulling in 15 degree air.

OK here you go.
I have been growing this winter through temps that dropped to -2C. The plants were in the greenhouse and survived without problems though due to the cold = high humidity I got bud rot on the one that was for harvest.
The plants will survive but the problem is that growth becomes either zero - they just sit there - or very slow. This translates into the flowering time being much extended over what you were expecting.

PencilHead said:
Ahem. Mister, I think you got some 'splainin' to do.

Okay, guys, right there. It's one of those fraudulent fakers we've been warned about recently. I know for a near-fact that the real Art is in the sub-tropics.
:D

DD, can you keep the babes in the house under flouros till you can slide down the mountain and get another heater? Either way, good luck with the cold.

LMAO :D Can you believe that guy? DD didn't say frauds shouldn't post in his thread :hubba:. Tropics for sure, I don't know about subtropics. We're having a spell of low 40s overnight hitting mid 60s during the day.

I have a little ceramic heater in the (cardboard :hubba:) box and it's been running... DD - for what it's worth, I've noticed temps at the bottom of the box (where the passive air intake is) are 10 degrees cooler than 4 feet higher where the hps cool tube is, even with a small fan running. So while the plant tops are enjoying a balmy 75 degrees, the roots are in 65 degree water (hempies).

degenerative_disc said:
Thanks Art
I use a little electric space heater with a temp control on it and thermastate so it keeps a constant temp for me. I think my last one cost about 30 bucks. But I am thinking with this new 400w mh lamp and the other flos i will be running it would keep my room above freezing I hope. Would hate to waste my seeds I have germinating.

cheers!!!

Just a little more than $30. Here's one, but I've seen them cheaper.

hXXp://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-Oil-filled-ComforTemp-Technology/dp/B000TGDGLU

Thanks Art and everyone else who has posted there thoughts to this thread!
I think to be on the safe side and to not waste my time or seeds I should just get off my butt slide down the mountain and pick up another heater and bring everything back to safe peramiters and assumptions of smooth operation. Not!!!! No doubt I will still experience problems but thats hafe the fun of growing and learning!

Cheers!!!

And heres looking forward to another grow season with all you guys!!
Safe growing to all!!!

djcoolj said:
I gauranty you will produce a few seeds from the stress and they will all be female.
Good Luck and happy VDay
!!...seeds pollinated by hermies cannot be 'gauranteed' females. They are hermies just waiting for the opportunity to ruin your entire crop.
by allowing it, you are selectively breeding FOR that undesirable trait...making it more dominate at every generation.

As far as the temps go, mature plants will 'usually' survive even freezing temps, IF it is for a short duration. Only a few hours, but it IS stressful and DOES impede growth.

dd if you sealthat shed and keep lights on you could raise temps as much as you want, little seedling wouldnt need a constant exhaust for a start you can go for some time by just opening the door for them once daily. i tried this in my cloner used incadescent + cfl's when it was freezing outside and it raised the temps inside to the 90 level and had to eventually remove the incadescent cuz it was too hot. if you seal it completely you could go for some time ;)

Hey Hick!
Thanks for stopping buy my thread! Its truly an honour!

I may just try that Zem I have nothing to lose but hydro and a few germinated seeds right?

Cheers!!!

you can do that in soil but only when plants are small cuz when theyr big they would need more fresh air for their rapid growth so hydro doesnt have to do with it, i've kept plants under fluros in closed rooms several times, i even had to flower plants once in a room with an open window under 400watts and they lived throug very easily, of course i suffered in yield but they were far far from dead. im sayin you could easily prevent their death if you keep it warm enough but freezing them is far more dangerous, who knows maybe you get unlucky and frost comes by and they freeze to death,

Latest posts

Back