Fine-free period for cannabis users (UK)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
Just found this, think Fruity may have put a similar thing up. Thought it was pretty good for us Brits :) plus I really like the picture :p

Fine-free period for cannabis users

Last Updated: Monday, 26 January 2009, 03:56 GMT

Fine-free period for cannabis users

Cannabis users will not face fines from Monday, despite it being upgraded to a Class B drug.
Police will be unable to hand out the £80 fines intended as part of a new "three strikes" regime.
Home Secretary Jacqui Smith decided to move the drug from Class C to Class B last year, because of fears over the impact of stronger strains of "skunk" on the mental health of young people.
Under the new regime, police should issue a warning to anyone caught with cannabis for a first offence, and give second time offenders an £80 fine and penalty notice. Anyone given a third "strike" will be arrested and could face an unlimited fine and a prison sentence of up to five years.

The order in Parliament making cannabis use an offence punishable with a Penalty Notice for Disorder (PND) was scheduled to pass last week. It was bundled up with a group of other offences, including mini-cab drivers hawking for business.
But because of opposition to some of the changes, the package of measures was withdrawn for consultation, the Ministry of Justice said.
The cannabis order is not due to be debated in the House of Lords until Monday and will come in to force on Wednesday morning.
It has also emerged that not all police forces will record cannabis warnings, meaning repeat offenders could escape fines or prosecution. A system for recording all cautions is not due to be introduced until next year.
Home Office Minister Alan Campbell warned the average age of first-time cannabis users is now 13. He said: "Cannabis is a harmful drug and while fewer people are taking it than before, it poses a real risk to the health of those who do use it. "We are reclassifying cannabis to protect the public and future generations. That is why, together with reclassification, it is crucial that we are communicating with young people through the FRANK drug awareness campaign to warn them about the consequences."
Marjorie Wallace, chief executive of the mental health charity SANE, said: "Cannabis, especially in its more toxic varieties such as skunk, can double the chance of developing severe mental illness in a significant minority of people, particularly the young whose brains are still developing."
Last Updated: Monday, 26 January 2009, 07:56 GMT

http://news.aol.co.uk/fine-free-period-for-cannabis-users/article/20090126001458773616569

In the middle of all their Bullcrap is the UNLIMITED FINE AND FIVE YEARS IN PRISON.

For having a little weed.

The Nazis come to mind.

Perhaps we should have all the coppers wear jack boots and a little armband on thier brown shirts.

What in the hell is the world coming to?

They hand you a bucket of crap and act like they're giving you a present!

Think about the people who work for the government or whoever testing this drug for years on end and they come to a conclusion that its not worthy of a class B drug and should stay C, then some fat ***** who knows naff all about the drug turns down there expert opinion and classifies as a B.

I for one would not be happy, wouldn't surprise me if some people have left after this decision.

"What I'd like to ask politicians is what harm am I doing by staying in, rolling a few spliffs [joints] and watching television?

"Maybe I should be out down the pub, getting pissed, getting in punch-ups and shouting my head off? That seems the establishment's preferred option.

"The only harm I do is to my own lungs. The fact that I'm considered a criminal is, I think, a fundamental breach of my human rights."

Marjorie Wallace of SANE can go swivel the reactionary ****tard nutjob!

I think we should adopt a harm classification index for polititians and rabid prohibs like Wallace who is just an administative pen pushing menopausal dried up old tart!

Apart from that she's absolutely wonderful,ahem.:p

Class A,B,C,blooming Zed,who gives a toss,its all bollix and the Home Secretary needs blowing up,bring back Guy Fawkes,all is forgiven!

I like how on the bottom she says " a significant minority of people"
Significant minority?...isn't that like saying a whole lot of nothin, or my retarded congressman is so smart, I forget what the word is to describe a phrase like this, but how ridiculous is that to make it sound like its hurting a lot of people. Significant minority. Ha. What a dumb butt.

"Cannabis is a harmful drug and while fewer people are taking it than before, it poses a real risk to the health of those who do use it.

Lol er no...just we're all getting better at hiding it :p

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

I'm guessing ure a UK'er Thorn, do you reckon they have changed the rules for growing i.e if i was caught with 10 plants a month ago i probably would of got community service and maybe a fine? Maybe i will go to jail now :O

yes i am wasson, not too sure, I'd like to think that they use their common sense and treat each case individualy, like if its obvious you doing it for profit and dealing then you get the harsher fines and sentences, but if its clear you only doing it for yourself then the lower fines and warning etc. unfortunately its probably just your doing it, have a fine, go to jail...its wrong no matter what reason etc etc...

thats to bad that the UK took a huge step back in MJ reforem. people we need to get off our butts an get things done. bill marh said it best, problem with the pot movment is its not much of a movement, ya know lots of stoners involved. we need to get organized an get this ball rolling. don't count on obama doing anything on this in the first 4 years. he wants to get re elected so hes going to go thew all show an dance. but if we can get him back in office i think we can get this thing done. thats right i said it. i think we can end probision of MJ in 8 years. it is possable.

You said it Wiseguy Chef you said it! I will hold you to that if i aint in the slammer by then :p

I also think there is a chance but i think he has to have a very good 4 years and i wish him the best!

I think that any politician trying to screw us with pot laws should be subject to this two day exercise.

Day one: Put politician in crowded bar, and have the bar serve free all night. Politian can't leave till bar closes.

Day two: Put politician in the midst of a room of stoners and make a few Oz of some skunk available to everyone. Polititan can't leave till everyones been good and high for a sec.

I'm pretty sure this method would also save the ridiculous reseach prices the covernment pays people to look into things with.

Latest posts

Back