First grow for a newby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved a light around 4 inches closer last night, the have jumped to attention by this mourning. I have fans blowing over the tops of the plants along with the 5 inch fan blowing air across the light bulb 24/7. Man I cant wait until my tent shows up.

Update? Its been a week bro!! I wanna see some flowers!

I have been flat out with work mate, I have been meaning too. I will take some pics this sunday.

The biggest plant is the blueberry, it has become way to bushy for the space its in. I get my tent on Monday so it can stretch out a bit more. Is it normal for the plant to be so bushy? The photo just doesn't do it justice, you hardly see down into the middle without doing a fair bit of rearranging. Anyway, the other better looking plant id my Jack Herer. This was very sick as well but its come along strong now. The sick looking one is my white widow and Im still having trouble with this *****. Im still waiting for my digital PH meter, seems no one carries stock anymore. I bought a liquid test tube style PH kit and it isnt to bad. The PH of the white widow is around 8. I have dropped some sulphar into the soil and the bottom leaves are responding now. The new sprout is around 1 inch tall, its another Jack Herer. I have also taken 4 cuttings for the blue berry and soaked rockwool then stuck them in zip lock bags.

P9220381.JPG

P9220389.JPG

P9220390.JPG

P9220384.JPG

P9220383.JPG

P9220382.JPG

P9220380.JPG

P9220388.JPG

P9220385.JPG

P9220386.JPG

Very nice progress my friend, They look ready to go to bloom cycle. Hope you get the PH back down on the WhiteWidow. Can't wait to see your new tent in action!:)

Good Day!

it depends on the training you do to the plant and what kind of strain it is... iv seen people on this forum with, granted they are outdoors not indoors, large 9ft tall 9 ft wide bushes so yes depending on how you are training them they will most defently bush up. if they are bushing too much you may need to do some cleaning up of lower, smaller growth that doesnt get much light due to the bushyness, those little gorwths wont do much more if they cant get light, maybe spread out and tie down all large branches, try to open up the middle a bit so more of the plant gets equal light... just a thought

looks like they could use some triming for sure personaly i like to be able to see thru them and know good air flow is geting in and around them.

and waht watering nute shedual look a little droopy and one looks a lil nute toasted (the second pic up from bottom on left)

But looking good, you will be happy i'm sure I know I was the first plant i ever had :)

Try to let your cuttings breathe for a few minutes a day. This will prevent mold. Plus wipe out the bag every few days. sunakard2000 is right about thinning. Always try to make sure that you have light through the whole plant all the way to the soil. Most strains will start to darken there fan leaf stems as they are not needed by the plant anymore. Basically showing you what leaves that they want removed. I swear that these plants growing outdoors ripen the leaves they want removed by insects. When I grew outdoors. Grasshoppers would be all over my plants. But only eating the older fan leaves. Just some insight!:D

Ok I put up my grow tent, not with out all the cursing under the sun. I installed the new fan right in front of the top outlet. Now, I was going to buy a 6inch 440cfm fan, but why stop there right, why not go to a 540cfm fan? This fan sucks the paint of the walls in the room. As you can see in the photos, I have the ballast on the bottom inside the tent. I also have the fresh air inlet blowing directly onto it and after running for a few hours its actually cold to the touch, that has to be a good thing. The only concern I have is the how far above the plants the light should be. As of right now, its around 4ft. I also need to add a small fan to blow across the plants. I didn't relies how big this tent was until I put it up. Its a secret Jardine 1.2 meter by 1.2 meter by 2 meters high. I was going to buy one a fair bit larger than that, glade I didn't.

P9240391.JPG

P9240393.JPG

P9240394.JPG

P9240395.JPG

A word of advise, You are going to want your ballast outside of the tent. You are just adding more heat inside. She looks Great!:D

Congrats on the SJ tent:) I also use one.

The only thing in my tents are controllers, lights/hoods and 2 oscillating fans. Everything else is outside the tent in order to have enough room for the girls.

For light distance I place the back of my hand at canopy level and lower the light until I just barely feel some heat, then raise it an inch. By the time the stretch is over my lights are at the top of the tent with no more room.

I checked my plants today and I have to say Im absolutely blown away. They look so much better, they have actually grown almost an inch in 24 hours and the other sick looking one is now all dark green. The real sick one is also becoming darker green but still has a way to go. Im 100% sold on grow tents. Now I have seen the benefits of 100% light all around the plant plus fresh air blowing in 24/7 These babies wont be long before harvest. I could give myself an uppercut for not ding this in the beginning.

I also took others advice on this site and dropped two fresh seeds straight into soil with a clear plastic cup on top. Those babies have hatched and are now around 1.5 inches tall. They also look a lot healthier than the drown in water for 24 hours, then drown some-more in wet paper towel, then stuff it in a hole method. Really, why mess with mother nature? After all, she worked that **** out billions of years ago.

I also dropped the light down to around 2 feet above the plant tops. Its not hot on the back of my hand, but you can just feel the warmth.

i have a sour diesal plant in flower right now week 5 so past the stretch phase and my lights about 10 inches above the highest cola and theres no heat, just keep and eye on them

I must admit Im a bit worried about how the side walls and roof are bowing in from the suction of the fan. I can see the zips are showing signs of fatigue already. I will add another ducting to the tent on the other side to try and even the pressure up. I guess its like trying to suck a big mouth full of thick shake and the straw collapses under so much low pressure.

You want the top and sides to bow in some. That way you know you have negative pressure and no smells are escaping. Do you have a speed controller on your fan? If so, you can turn your fan down a little.

What do you mean that the zippers are showing signs of fatigue?

You need a speed controller.:aok:

Then you can adjust fan speed and will not have your tent walls getting sucked in 10"

THG

The walls were bowing in that much the zippers were stretching so to speak. I have left the main door half open and added an extra 6 inch inlet. I will also add a third inlet as this fan sucks over 500CFM.

Fan speed.

I rang the shop that I bought it from and they do sell speed controllers, however he said that the fan will hum loudly and louse power.

I have re installed the 5 inch fan blowing across the light which has knocked at least 10-15 degrees C off the temp from the light. The to main girls are booming along, very thick and just about every second day Im having to tie down more branches. Running out of room to tie down really. The sick white widow in the back is coming good, not fast but it is coming back.

P9270413.JPG

P9270414.JPG

P9270417.JPG

P9270415.JPG

P9270418.JPG

Stufart said:
THG

The walls were bowing in that much the zippers were stretching so to speak. I have left the main door half open and added an extra 6 inch inlet. I will also add a third inlet as this fan sucks over 500CFM.

Fan speed.

I rang the shop that I bought it from and they do sell speed controllers, however he said that the fan will hum loudly and louse power.

You can use a light dimmer switch to control your fan speed. You should be able to find that in your local hardware store. Just an idea!:)

Latest posts

Back