Florida's New Marijuana Boom: House-Grown and Super-Potent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
California may be the center of the marijuana trade and the controversies over its legalization. But Florida has surpassed it in one important category: the Sunshine State is now the country's leader in indoor marijuana cultivation. It is a potent distinction because most of the marijuana grown this way is cultured hydroponically — that is, mostly without soil and with a carefully calibrated cocktail of chemicals and lighting — to create some of the highest level of highs on the market.

In 2006, Florida law enforcement here discovered 480 homes growing marijuana indoors. Last year, 1,022 grow houses were busted. "This isn't your grandma's marijuana," quipped a Miami-Dade narcotics officer at one bust as he tossed garbage bags stuffed with confiscated marijuana into an unmarked police truck. Levels of THC — the agent in marijuana that produces feelings of euphoria, and in some users mild hallucinations and paranoia — have risen dramatically because of indoor techniques. Thirty years ago, most marijuana contained about 7% THC. Today, indoor growers boast THC levels of 25% or higher thanks to the additional care that indoor plants receive.

Indoors, high-powered lights that stimulate growth can remain on all day, their nourishing rays reflected off the metallic-coated paper covering walls. The chemical fertilizers used are just as powerful and nourishing, spawning fast-growing plants that produce more THC than those raised outdoors.

Time accompanied undercover agents on a recent bust on a quiet street of a working-class Miami suburb. As soon as the agents enter the front door, they know they've acted on a good tip. The pungent smell of plant life fills the air. The ceiling of the master bedroom is a constellation of high-powered lightbulbs emitting a nourishing glow onto what officers estimate is more than 100 lb. of particularly potent marijuana plants with a street value upwards of $800,000.

While most of the marijuana is freshly cut and drying on a clothesline stretched across the room, pots of smaller plants still months away from maturing line the walls. An irrigation system supplies water and chemical fertilizers to the plants via a hose that runs into the adjacent bathroom, where the toxic brew used to accelerate plants' growth is dumped down a drain.

On the Florida market, a pound of indoor grown marijuana goes for upwards of $4,000. But in the Northeast, the best market for Florida growers, the same marijuana goes for about $8,000 a pound. Unlike their closest regional rivals, Florida growers can produce up to four crops annually.

"These operations are mushrooming all over the state of Florida," says State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle for Miami-Dade County, the de facto capital of the state's indoor pot industry. Taking these operations down is dangerous work. Some growers stockpile automatic weapons to protect themselves — and to fend off thieves who are after the valuable crop.

Miami Police Major Charles Nanney says informants played a crucial role in the success of a statewide crackdown in June that resulted in the seizure of 6,828 marijuana plants and 120 residential marijuana labs over the course of a few days. Among the best tipsters, they say, are electricians paid big money by growers to wire the sophisticated network of lights and air conditioners used to cool plants and subject them to round-the-clock illumination. The energy-chugging networks require an expert's touch to bypass the electric meter and tap straight into the grid. A sharp increase in electricity used to be a telltale sign of a grow house. Some growers have caught on, however, and are learning to mask their energy profile.

Money-laundering is an attendant crime. But so is trafficking in undocumented migrant workers. A single marijuana growing operation can consist of a dozen homes or more, requiring many hands to tend to the plants. And when arrests are made, those taken in are often neither the homeowner nor the person named on the lease. The actual operators usually elude capture. Still, workers are lured by the promise of a piece of the profits and rent-free living, sometimes raising children among the deadly high-voltage lights and other potential life-threatening apparatuses associated with indoor marijuana.

The state's real estate catastrophe contributes to the problem as well. Captain Joe Mendez from the South Florida High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA), says operators flush with cash are attracted to the abundance of cheap homes in Florida, particularly in Miami-Dade, which leads the state in foreclosures. While Florida's legitimate economy continues to flail, the HIDTA captain says indoor marijuana is thriving even though law enforcement is arresting more people every year. Says Mendez: "If the economic downturn remains as it is, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel."

hxxp://shuurl.com/X6070

Drive started to decriminalize pot in Jacksonville Beach
Group pushes to make small amount a civil infraction.

A proposed Jacksonville Beach amendment is taking aim at the current marijuana laws, with hopes to make part of them vanish into a puff of smoke.

The nation’s largest marijuana advocacy group is pushing a plan to make possession of less than 20 grams a civil infraction instead of a criminal misdemeanor. If the group’s petition receives 1,442 signatures from registered Jacksonville Beach voters, a decriminalization amendment would be added to the ballot in the November 2010 general election.

If it passes, it would be the first of its kind in Northeast Florida, and organizers say they would push it in the other Beaches communities and Jacksonville. Nationally, similar amendments have passed in several other cities, including Denver, and a handful of states.

“It’s the will of the people and a product of our grandparents,” said Ford Banister, chapter president of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, who’s spearheading the proposition. “It’s a political hot potato, and nobody wants to touch it. We’re out to change that.”

The proposed amendment would call for a civil fine of $100 for the possession of 20 grams or less –– enough for about 10-15 joints. The marijuana would also be confiscated. State law calls for up to a year behind bars and $1,000 in fines. Jacksonville Beach police would have the option to enforce either law.

“The Beaches is small, conservative and generally Republican,” Banister said. “But we feel confident about it. Between church and the Navy, this will be a great test for the entire state.”

More than 14 million Americans smoke marijuana at least once a month, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Its use led to more than 900,000 arrests last year, according to NORML.

Jacksonville Beach police made 29 arrests for possession of marijuana under 20 grams since Jan. 1, records show.

While misdemeanor possession can lead to a one year sentence and a $1,000 fine, most first-time offenders typically settle with pleas, according to the State Attorney’s Office.

The biggest concern associated with the drug is the violence that stems from its sale and distribution, said Dan McCarthy, chief assistant to State Attorney Angela Corey.

“We don’t spend a whole lot of time dealing with marijuana possession cases,” he said. “But drugs are certainly a major part of criminal conduct. The problem in this county is violent crime, and drugs can often lead to that.”

But dropping marijuana possession to a civil infraction is becoming a growing national trend.

More than a handful of cities have decriminalized marijuana this year through similar local charters, said Allen St. Pierre, the group’s executive national director who oversee the organization’s 155 chapters.

Thirteen states have legalized marijuana for medical use, with Michigan being the most recent. And potent strains of the drug can now be purchased in vending machines throughout California with proof of medical need.

“These charters rarely lose,” Pierre said. “And if it washes in Jacksonville Beach, it will probably wash throughout the state.”

Banister and reform supporters argue that making marijuana possession the lowest law enforcement priority will reduce government spending, free up needed police officers and allow many teenagers to retain a clean record –– keeping them out of the criminal justice system.

About a year ago, Seattle agreed. It dropped marijuana possession to one of its lowest priority offenses. The city hasn’t seen any negative adverse effects since, said Detective Renee Witt, spokeswoman for the Seattle Police Department.

But agreement hasn’t quite been reached for Jacksonville Beach residents.

“It needs to be controlled,” said Freddie Wilson, 54. “This will just bring more unwanted wackos to the beaches.”

But Fred Brown said he’s all for the idea. The 58-year-old former California resident said he’s seen the drug have many positive effects on the west coast.

“It’s only illegal because of politics,” Brown said with a smile. “Alcohol is by far more dangerous, and it has no medicinal value.”

Others see the side of both arguments.

“I don’t really care either way,” said Wayne Upchurch, 38. “There are pros and cons to both.

But I do think it’s something people are going to do behind closed doors either way.”

I have never hallucinated from smoking weed Its so stupid they act like indoor chronic now a days is some super weed. Hash has been around forever and it has so much more thc than any super weed will.

I have smoked like 3 grams of hash between 4 people in one sitting and nothing crazy happend I was just high

Uh, exactly where was that place I...err...uh... someone could get 8 grand a pound?

Really, I'm wondering who, in the land of plenty here, would pay 4 grand a pound. Seems every 3rd person claims to be growing here. Like when half the citizens of FL were registered real estate agents--oh God, is the pot market about to crash?

Senor Cabeza de Lapiz,
Quiero trabajar para Usted. Puedo limpiar la mota que se creceas.
Gracias,
Sr. Verde Geneticos:D

I have taken THC oil, cold water hash, and some really good kush, mixed it all up into one little ball, smoked it..... I had the best, most relaxed pain free high I could ask for, It was awesome ! never saw anything crazy though ?

That reporter must have got a contact high, those were some pretty strong words he used. Deadly and Toxic to name just a couple. I cant remember the last time I halucinated......on pot...Never.
Anyone gonna comment on the toxic stuff he metioned going down the drain, what do you think it was?....cant think of anything "toxic" that goes with growing something that lives.
I always enjoy hearing what we are growing now days is so, so, much better than what was happening in the "old" days.

The media can get away with calling fertilizers toxic. Basically, 'environmentalists' are concerned with anything that can run off into the environment. The EPA is concerned about nutrients flowing to lakes, rivers, streams and oceans because it causes unnatural floral blooms of riparian vegetation in bodies of water.

PencilHead said:
Uh, exactly where was that place I...err...uh... someone could get 8 grand a pound?

Really, I'm wondering who, in the land of plenty here, would pay 4 grand a pound. Seems every 3rd person claims to be growing here. Like when half the citizens of FL were registered real estate agents--oh God, is the pot market about to crash?

where are you from? Here a an ounce of kind or fairly decent homegrown goes for 600 an ounce, hence why i started growing my own, lol.

Now i get it free, and its fun to grow!

but yeah, we actually have people pay 6g's here for a lb, crazy because in florida, kind bud is at most 3500 a lb.

You could pay $400 an ounce here for super kryp if you wanted or if you didn't know anyone. $300 is more average--or was--from grown-ups and professionals. I truly have liberated myself and don't know what's going for what out there nowdays--I too grow what I need.

yeah, i just like growing, as ive said before, i give most of my harvest away, i keep what i need, then distribute the rest amongst family and friends.

I can afford to buy it, but i absolutely hate the shady environment involved in buying it. If i did buy it, it was usually from a buddy, but the bud sucked.

Now, i grow 10/10 primo and its all mine, with very little cost on my part.

I dont advocate selling right now because its illegal, and gives us a bad name, but lemme tell ya, if they make it legal here or at least medicinal use, i will be using one of my homes for a mass grow op, i mean, im pretty good at it so why not!

but for now, i just get high on my own supply.

Latest posts

Back