flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckdee123

Roland Burnett
Reaction score
hey everyone. i have a question regarding flowering...
i have five clones going, you may have seen my grow journal, three of them are on their 39th day and and other two are on their 30th day.
the FF nute chart i'm following says to change the lights to 18/6 at the beginning of the fifth week, which has passed.

my question mainly is does vegging for longer, keeping the lights on 18/6 for maybe 6 weeks instead of the recommended 4, actually benefit you as far as yield?

i want to think that growing a larger plant with more bud sites will essentially produce more buds.

i also want to think that growing a larger plant with more bud sites will essentially produce more, but weaker/fluffier less quality buds, essentially resulting in a lower yield.

what do you think?

Many times growing a larger foundation will lead to a more productive harvest. Ultimately, production is measured in grams per watt or grams per lumen, but under many conditions, big plants will help you acheive your goal imo.

Hey Chuckdee123-

Are you saying you're at 24/0 now and have been for the last 5 weeks or so? And now you plan on switching them to 18/6 for another 4 to 6 weeks?

If you're going to continue vegging, IMO you should keep them on 24/0, you'll get more growth.

I usually switch to 18/6 after 4 weeks, but this is only to help determine sex. Since you're growing from clones, that's not necessary.

The longer you veg, the bigger the yield. Good luck!

I agree with the others....A longer veg time results in larger yeilds. However your space should yeild the same. meaning that you could have fewer larger plants and yeild close to the same as many smaller plants. But if you were to compare 1 plant vegged for 2 months to 1 plant vegged for 1 month, the one vegged longer will produce more.

BBFan said:
Hey Chuckdee123-

Are you saying you're at 24/0 now and have been for the last 5 weeks or so? And now you plan on switching them to 18/6 for another 4 to 6 weeks?

If you're going to continue vegging, IMO you should keep them on 24/0, you'll get more growth.

I usually switch to 18/6 after 4 weeks, but this is only to help determine sex. Since you're growing from clones, that's not necessary.

how's it goin BB? thanks for dropping by!
oops - i meant to say switching to 12/12. i've been on 18/6 since i planted them. i actually havn't even heard of doing 24/0.

thanks everyone for clarifying my question.. i'll give them another couple weeks vegging.

peace:48:

chuckdee123 said:
how's it goin BB? thanks for dropping by!
oops - i meant to say switching to 12/12. i've been on 18/6 since i planted them. i actually havn't even heard of doing 24/0.

thanks everyone for clarifying my question.. i'll give them another couple weeks vegging.

peace:48:

Okay-thats better-I was wondering.
And I agree with BB and LF on that also.
I prefer a longer veg time.
Keep it Green!!
:)
Gb

When I do extended veg times with the Foxfarm feed chart I keep feeding them week 4 until the week before I'm ready to flip and then I will feed week 5. Week 6 is the feeding for 12/12...if your feeding the full line-up with the solubles. Good Luck

BBFan said:

I disagree. Well, more growth is true, but... doesn't mean...

A lot of people, well, almost everyone believes 24/0 is the best schedule to go by. However, ...What people fail to realize, is that darkness is just as, if not more important, than light. Without getting into the science behind it all... I'll just say this..

Many certain plant biochemical reactions only happen during periods of dark. And they benefit the grow much more than 24/0. Yes more light means more grow, but 24/0 is highly unnatural in the plant kingdom, except for some places on earth where 24 hours of light happens for a short period of time (Alaska, etc) ...If plants needed 100% more light to be more healthy, it'd be like that in the wild. Again, more light may mean more growth, but that does not mean they are healthier or more preferable in a biochemical point of view.

23/1 is even more preferable. My 24 hour schedule, lights are turned off for 1 hour every 6 hours. And every other day lights are turned off for 30 mins 8 times a day. (so, 20/4, but intermittent)

Do some research on intermittent light / pulsed light. You'll find some very amazing facts most don't understand yet. I'll list only a couple sites, the best are uo to you to find:

hXXp://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:YMH9OfrSbbkJ:ir.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/bitstream/10232/2886/1/KJ00000011096.pdf+intermittent+light+plant+growth&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShiLSbpOmmHr5u6MPslFRN-ASr-f8BQLeCfgKdxohYhIj9GpHTXrdgV_mNKYkoTqi2kMjxUbUUGPl7k412SBvwGLme3tyETENO9I5Y0tJntMnpi2psKRTBfiXwPbDnlpeIzAhw8&sig=AHIEtbQdUhqi7RGaZa7qSr-CbNfpBXF38g

hXXp://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19800905&id=DlgpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G24FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1541,922189

hXXp://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/78/1/203.pdf

hXXp://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TC3-49S83YD-W8&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F1989&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1211267740&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2e9efbdaa22c57bc2c59738f06104d5c

hXXp://blog.lege.net/content/StimulatingPlantGrowthWithElectricityMagnetismSound.html
This is one of my favourite sites that explains
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] Antennas (atmospheric energy)[/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] Electrostatics[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] DC[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] AC[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] Magnetism [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif](this and the next 3 are major influences on plant growth, ppl don't understand yet!!!)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] Electrogenics ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]electric stimulation of plant growth)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] Sound ([/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]yes, sound effects plant growth a great deal, research [/FONT]Sonic Bloom. ultrasound, and music[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] )[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] Monochromatic & Pulsed Light
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]hXXp://www.freepatentsonline.com/3930335.html[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0] << [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]even patents have been made for magnetism, electro-culture, intermittent light, etc[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]http://www.actahort.org/books/229/229_26.htm[/FONT]

...I could go on and on, my computer has over 8700 research documents from universities, and research institutes alone, on anything you could think up for this ... not including everything else.

Electricity (different kinds), magnetism/paramagnetism, ultrasound, intermittent light, UV light, atmospheric energy, monochromatic light, (99% people say green light does not effect plant growth, ...highly untrue, and fallacious. You'd be very surprised) ...Sounds and frequencies, etc etc etc

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[/FONT]

I do agree that a longer veg time is better, but I, for one, do not run lights 24/0 in veg and never have.
For the reason that the darktime is for the plant to rest and also it costs more.
I always go 18/6
Gb

GeezerBudd said:
I do agree that a longer veg time is better, but I, for one, do not run lights 24/0 in veg and never have.
For the reason that the darktime is for the plant to rest and also it costs more.
I always go 18/6
Gb

^^ what he said. Perfect way to say: Rest. And a money saver too, can't go wrong. (and saving the planet a little bit as well, can't get any greener)

See the can of worms you opened, Chuck?:p

To each their own Chuck.... 18/6, 20/4, 24/0... it ALL works and whatever floats yer boat is the way to go imho. I vegged for a dozen years or longer at 18/6... After reading some of the great growers like THG's views on vegging I started played around with 24/0 and I've been on a perpetual day now for over 6 months and they LOVE it...;) They'll get plenty of time for rest... when they're DEAD~! :hubba: I've got a nice glass house that they can retire and rest in... a mason jar. :rolleyes: For now though, they've got WORK to do! lol...

Yupperz... you can go with as many weeks of veg that you would like to according to your space and desires, just keep repeating the week 4 veg feed rate and start with the week 5 bloom feed whenever you switch to 12/12 and you'll be golden ChuckDee. That's a solid feed program as long as you alternate with plain water as recommended.

Rock ON~!:cool:

I grew 18/6 my first 3 grows...it definately makes for a longer veg time...lol

I did 24-7 this time and my plants did not suffer at all, and the job got done quicker...Even Jorge C. Changed his mind on the 24 hr v. 18/6 schedule in the latest edition of his book. Stateing that after reviewing several proffesional gardens on a 24 hr light schedule he can no longer recommend the 18/6. There is no proof that the plant benefits from the dark cycle in veg. If anything you get tighter nodal spaceing, and you are using the same amount of light...just not takeing breaks.

BioDynamic said:
I disagree. Well, more growth is true, but... doesn't mean...

Many certain plant biochemical reactions only happen during periods of dark. And they benefit the grow much more than 24/0. Yes more light means more grow, but 24/0 is highly unnatural in the plant kingdom, except for some places on earth where 24 hours of light happens for a short period of time (Alaska, etc) ...If plants needed 100% more light to be more healthy, it'd be like that in the wild. Again, more light may mean more growth, but that does not mean they are healthier or more preferable in a biochemical point of view.

Hey BioD!

How you been? Hope things are well.

While I appreciate the difference between light dependent and light independent reactions, I have yet to find any reference regarding the benefits of a dark period during vegetative growth for mj. Light independent reactions occur whether there is light or not- light just isn't part of the equation.

Like Legalize_Freedom and DirtyolSouth (2 growers I have a lot of respect for), I too started my indoor grows on 18/6 because I had read that some plants do require an actual dark period for certain processes. But some of the more experienced growers here (like Hick and THG) insisted that 24/0 was more beneficial for mj growth. So I gave it a try.

My personal experience, while strictly anecdotal, has been the perception of better (and faster) growth under a 24/0 light regimen for the vegetative phase of growth. My experience has been that if you stay ahead of respiration, more photosynthesis equals more growth.

I'll definitely check out those links you put up. Thanks!

There are studies that state that mj does NOT require a dark period to perform 'any' process. While I beieve there are plants that do, MJ is 'not' one of them. 24/0 will produce the fastest, tightest internodal growth. All that a dark period provides is an opportunity to stretch....IME

BioDynamic said:
^^ what he said. Perfect way to say: Rest. And a money saver too, can't go wrong. (and saving the planet a little bit as well, can't get any greener)

What "I" have found, is that there is "no" cost savings... X number of hours of light = X amount of growth/maturity. Or it requires 1000 hours(example) of photosynthesis to achieve the size, growth that you desire. It doesn't matter if it is presented in 18 hour increments or 24 hour increments.. it take the 'same' amount of light to achieve.

Latest posts

Back