Grow Room Temperatures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigweedo

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Long time not talk!

I've going into my 6th week of flowering and heat has become a real issue. Heat will be in low 80's to mid 80's towards late afternoon. I have a:

600 watt HPS
430 CFM fan running full blast
Light is 20 inches from plants due to heat (Usually like to keep it around the 14-18 mark.)
Running light from 9am-9pm.

Day time temperatures have been in the low 80's and temps in my house have been around 76.

I don't want to run the air conditioner to make the temps run down into the low 70' or high 60's, I don't think I could afford it.

Has anyone switched the light cycle from day to night with only a few weeks to go? I don't want to screw with their "schedule" this far into flowering, especially when things are suppose to start fattening up. I'm afraid if I don't do anything, the heat will be just as damaging.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying about changing a schedule that won't affect plants?

Thanks!

Biggy:icon_smile:

Now I am no expert, but I believe you could reverse the light cycle, by keeping your plants, in the dark, for 12 more hours, and turning them back on, when they would normally be going off. I imagine that it wouldn't hurt the plants. But like I said, I am no expert.

HomieHogleg

Thanks for the replies. I'm just hesitant, due to it being "light" inside of the house when it is suppose to be dark if I switched the periods. I have panda film used as a "door" with the bottom corner open for my intake. It would be impossible to not let some forms of light leak into the area due to me not being able to seal all areas of light.

How damaging can temps be in the last 3 weeks if they were consistently 85?

I had a grow in the past turn to mush when the last few weeks encountered temps in the high 80's. Buds where looking nice and my job required me to be gone for long hours (12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yea, looonngg days!) and my buds basically didn't fill.

85 is not too bad, thats like the limit tho no more than that. You definately dont want light leaks, cuz abnormal light will bring on the hermies! its important to have a light tight space, can you cut in a vent somewhere in the wall? maybe patch it up at a later date if youre renting or dont own the house? but id try to get those temps around 80 max, or maybe think about adding co2 to help withstand the high heat, but there is a lot more to consider when adding co2, like an airtight space and humidity never above 50%. basically you need to have a perfect environment created or co2 can be detrimental too. id read up on it for sure before adding it, most of us who use co2 have a greenhouse controller to ensure perfect conditions! just a few suggestions!

I've ran my lights on cycle at night for about 15 years and its definitely much easier to cool down my bloom closet at night than it is during the day most of the year. I agree that it's probably best to keep them dark an extra 12 hours and then start the new 'day' cycle. As long as you give them 12+ hours of uninterupted darkness your flower photoperiod won't be messed with. :joint:

Happy Growing:cool:

You can devise a light trap that will let in air-flow without letting in light, and then just set it on the floor and make a flap to form fit it where the panda film would touch it. They make 4" "stovepipe" in flat black. you could get 2 or 3 of the adjustable 90s and connect them together in a double "S" pattern. Here is a link to what I'm talking about: hxxp://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202907230?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=stove+pipe&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202907230 This one is a 6" but they have 4" as well :)

You could also use something like this to attach them too so that the panda film can be attached to the square flange to keep light from getting in around the pipe: hxxp://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100679709?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=stove+pipe&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100679709

I'm confused...your room is not 100% dark? I cannot believe that this has not caused you any problems up to now. I am sure that even though your lights are off at night that if you have light leaks, you are getting light into your flowering space when lights are turned on in adjacent spaces. I would work on getting my flowering space 100% dark.

Sorry for the confusion. My room is completely dark at night because the only thing that would shine light into my room is the sun, hence me having lights on during the day, not night. Have grown successfully 4 times in same spot already, just not this late into spring (usually stop in Feb.)

I do have this room behind 2 doors and panda film, but windows would shine under the door(which allows fresh air into room.) Very paranoid about light getting in at night..keep all lights and tvs off close to the area. Bump into walls constantly! ;)

Might have to block off areas of sun light and do the night flowering, dont see any other options. Unless i just want to deal with the heat. Any more suggestions.

I had to keep my House cooler then normal to grow weed,,because I live in the South,,thats just the way it is. I pulled my cool air from my house into the Growroom,,so I had to keep my house cooler then normal to keep my Growroom cool because of the Grow lights. My Growrrom wasnt big enough to stick a Portable AC unit in,,or I would have. I was growen DWC,,so temp is very important. Hell I used Frozen bottles of water to help with Solution Temps in my Buckets.:D

Latest posts

Back