HELP! Great Grow might be turning on me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNorthernLight

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've got a problem with my northern lights, one of the plants had leaves that wanted to curl and turn and do crazy things, I can't seem to figure it out. I read up on it and their seems to be alot of causes for them. I figured maybe someone would be able to look at a pic and figure it out. The ph is around 6.5, 12/12 Hps for the lighting. Also, they have good water so it's not a underwatering issue. Please Help. Thanx.

Begining Of Budding.JPG

Sick Leaves.JPG

Sick Plant 3.JPG

The stems would also twist up sometimes, Now i'm seeing the begining stages of this problem in other plants.

TheNorthernLight said:
Alright guys, I've got a problem with my northern lights, one of the plants had leaves that wanted to curl and turn and do crazy things, I can't seem to figure it out. I read up on it and their seems to be alot of causes for them. I figured maybe someone would be able to look at a pic and figure it out. The ph is around 6.5, 12/12 Hps for the lighting. Also, they have good water so it's not a underwatering issue. Please Help. Thanx.

They look pretty good from afar, but you're right, something is amiss; maybe a specific food item. Are you using any nutrients? If so, what kind of regimen? Someone else here will likely be able to give you more specific advice.

Good luck!

TheNorthernLight said:
The stems would also twist up sometimes, Now i'm seeing the begining stages of this problem in other plants.

Hey TNL, how many plants are in that space, and how big is it?

I've got 12 plants in a 4x4 area. 2x400w HPS lights. 72 F , 60% Humidity. I was using MG for vegetation but I stopped when i saw the problem happening, plus im starting flowering and no longer need nitrogen.

what size containers u in? how long into flo? cant tell by pics, where on plant do the leaves start doing this, like top/ bottom?

I think your plants are looking good I cant tell ya on the couple of leaves I see drooping or whatever but they dont look that bad to me either. You still need Nitrogen for the flowering stage you just need less of it and more of the others. Good Luck.

Ive seen this in a mates room,2 things caused it, his pots were to small and the plant was root bound, and a build up of salt,we transplanted to bigger pots and flushed them and they came good

I don't see it mentioned anywhere but this is exactly what my leaves higher on my plants look like when they get too close to the lights, they are NOT getting light burn, but getting too hot. If you find this happening on only the top leaves it might be because they have grown too close to the lights and are stressing from the heat. I had to either tie the tops over or raise the lights. But this was just my experience, and I am onlky saying that it LOOKS LIKE the issue I had, I am not in any way saying this is surely your issue. I am in no way an expert at diagnosing plant problems but I also agree with Megan's comment about the Nitrogen, perhaps it could be a N deficiency, hence the yellowing of the leaves.

ive read that you dont want to mix MG nutes very strong. be careful until you get different nutes.

CoolAsAFan said:
what size containers u in? how long into flo? cant tell by pics, where on plant do the leaves start doing this, like top/ bottom?

Im using 3gal. pots 1 week into flowering, and their starting to show signs of doing this all over, lower and upper branches. I baught a soil test kit from ACE yesterday. It doensn't have the chemical levels but it did show a surplus in Nitrogen and in Phosphorus. I tried flushing them but dont think i used enough water. I dont know what to do.

You could be overwatering. Leaves will droop from overwatering just as much as underwatering.

If I were you I would address the watering situation first. Cut back on how much water you give them. Usually with a watering issue you can tell within a day or two. You can also try to move your lights up a bit further.

Is there any discoloration or any other problems that you see? If not, try the watering and lights first. Overall, they look good!

Good Luck
HazeMe

No, no real discoloring or anything, threy seem pretty healthy as far a color goes they just sure do want to curl up alot. I raised my lights and havn't watered in couple days. Still no change but i'll have to wait and see. Hopefully its something simple like that.

When you mesure your ppm(parts per million,a way of figuring out your tds-total disolved solids/ or how powerful your nutes are.
From your previous statement I believe you do not have the proper meters in order to run these tests.Amazon is a inexpensive way of obtaining such meters.If you are going to purchase,I recomend grabbing 1 with auto temp displacement(the reading vary acc. to the water temp.auto temp displacement will adjust these variable for you.
The way to check your run off ppm is to water your plant with only ph adjusted water,catching the run off(water that is not absorbed into the grow medium)of the first 10 secs or so,your ideal ph should be around 6.5 for soil(if lower raise the ph of your water).Your tds or ppm(e.c. over sees, not to sure how to convert besides pushing the button on my meter,lol)is also readable from the same sample(same water sample),unfortunately I can not tell you where you should be because diffrent strains require,except,more or less.Heres an example.
Stage 1(clone seeds1'-6')
ppm 200-400
ph 6.2-7.2(6.5-6.8 is good 4 me)
water temp 75-80(not to hot,nor to cold)
humidity 70-90
lights 20 on 4 off(24 hour light on seeds produce more males)
folar spray(clone)ppm 200-400
folar spray(clone)ph 6-7
I recomend some type of grow journal so you can record(remember)what is workin and what is not.

They are fine.All you've got is a few fan leaves clawing a bit but it's not excessive.You report good colour and general health otherwise so as long as that continues no worries as I don't see it getting any worse.

It's not the start of any kind of deficiency,just a few leaves looking a bit stressed out but it's down to the actual plant,really nothing to worry about.

You spoke of them having adequate water well it's more important the plant has adequate water with periods between allowing the pot almost to dry out.Overwater and leaves will quickly change shape and worse.

As mentioned by DirtySouth, you should make a grow journal so you can monitor everything and have something to look back on in future grows. I think Rockster is right, It's not a deficiency... Don't mess with the nutes.

You don't have any concerns yet. Just keep a close eye on your watering and lights and you'll be fine.

HazeMe

Latest posts

Back