help me with my ideas 600w mh/hps box setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokeWithHope

24/7 toker
Reaction score
ok i purchased and put together one of those 95 dollar boxs from home depot. and my plan is to have 2 sections the top section (15.5'') with 3-6 25 watt cfls for cloning and maybe a lst'd mother(??) and the lower half (52.5'') for growing 4 plants in 3 gallon pots. with a 600 watt mh/hps. i will have a 6 inch 449 cfm exhaust with 2 four inch damper intakes. i have 2 questions

1. would the fan be able to suck in the exhaust air from both if im sucking air through a carbon filter in the top of the box.

2. is 4 plants to much for this amount of space? i will lst, 1 and regular grow the other 2

thank you for your time and help!

1. Only if the intakes are in the lower section. That way, airflow would be forced to go through the whole box.

2. It's hard to say.. you didn't include the dimensions. The number of plants isn't really important, it's all about filling up the canopy space as evenly and efficiently as possible.

:)

yeah but i want to make the sections not light leak, but also able for air to travel through it any ideas? or how could i even make it not light leak i got a bunch of black and white poly i just bought today.

sry deminsions are 20'' d - 29'' w - 70'' h the problem is the circular pots dont really fit that well u know...

but also would it be ok to grow a mother with 3 25 watt cfls (growbright) with 1,800 lumens a piece. and in a space of 15.5 inches high?

wait i just thought of something! if i have 2 4'' dampers at the bottom of my box for intake. and then light proof the two levels. but cut say a 6'' hole in the shelf and put an elbow on it facing away from the light would this supply enough breathe for the exhaust/ intake setup to work sufficientl and stop light from getting into the lower chamber?

if you build a subfloor that is on a 2" frame put 2" holes in the subfloor in the back coners and cut holes in the side of the subfloor frame so fresh air can come in through the side up throught the holes and in to both rooms and no light leaking in from the bottom

TokeWithHope said:
wait i just thought of something! if i have 2 4'' dampers at the bottom of my box for intake. and then light proof the two levels. but cut say a 6'' hole in the shelf and put an elbow on it facing away from the light would this supply enough breathe for the exhaust/ intake setup to work sufficientl and stop light from getting into the lower chamber?

thats it

lol great! but do you think just laying the poly on the shelf with a little excess turned up with block off the light?

what is the L X W of your box?

where are u going to mount your fan and can inside or outside the box?

L = 20'', W= 29''
what can?
im going to mount the fan a foot above the box in my attic

Sounds like you got it down. You should be ok with the 6in building enough suction and its a good idea to have 2 dampers that way you take some of the load off your fan. Just have lots of duct tape handy for those light leaks. Use high wattage cfls and they should surround the mother and not just shine light ontop. I would buy this book it helps if using CFL's

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0932551874/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You could set up a system in this book for growing mothers if you wanted but for growing bud the cfls dont pack on weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah well im gonna caulk the box for the light leaks, its just the doors but i think im gonna try to weatherstrip them might stop by home depot tomorrow. but ya i know im only gonna use the cfls, for clones, to start my plants (cause i hear their good while your plants are in their younger stage), and hopefully for a mother plant. i have a 600 watt mh/hps from htgsupply i just bought it today.
but nice book ive already read, mel franks, growers guide. andjorge cervantes new growers bible. but might think of gettn that book. haha im just trying to become one of the best there is at this! im only 18 so ive got time :)

TokeWithHope said:
L = 20'', W= 29''
what can?
im going to mount the fan a foot above the box in my attic

i mean the demsion of each room?

bye can i mean carbon filter to erase the smell.

HGTSUPPLY also as a nice 6" inline fan carbon filter combo that is 424 cfm's witch would be enough to pull air through both rooms.

well its all in one box but there is a shelf inbetween that im gonna light proof. and drill holes so it can breathe

and im gonna make a diy carbon filter

Latest posts

Back