How is the current economic conditions affecting your life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cubby, your last sentence pretty much sums it up for all us "boomers" without a pension. Scary times.
"Hi, welcome to walmart. What I can do for you today"?
How many of us are looking forward to that for a job when we are 70?

i am in Canada and we are having a tough time up here also, although its not quite as bad as you folks, industries up here that are affected the most are the ones that support alot of big U.S. industries ie car manufacturing, the good news is we are seeing huge improvments very recently, as our problem wasnt quite as bad we are comming out of it faster, but this can only mean one thing, while it is taking its time your economy is in the process of rebounding. Hang in there my American friends good times are ahead.

My little family and I have adjusted.
It sounds trite, but we really have been able to see the important things more clearly.

We always had dinner together, but now it's more of a family thing..the two year old loves to help cook.

We have made going to city parks and different sports a part of every weekend. SF has beautiful parks and I found out that there is even an adult kickball league..when's the last time you played kickball? The last movie that I and my 10 year old saw was The Dark Night about 6 months ago.

As a matter of fact, we don't really pay to do much these days. The first Wed of the month is free at the SF zoo...same with the Exploratoium (the big SF science museum)..the science academy has free days..we have a free passes to the Aqaurium under the Bay at Fisherman's Wharf..

I've found that just about anything we want to do can be done cheaper or even for free with a little bit of research and planning.

I learned how to budget..... I mean really budget.

I've been on my own for a long time. Parents dead, no grandparents, aunts or uncles to speak of so you'd think I would've learned better money management skills before now..I'm the kind of person that only changes to avert a crisis..

Oh yeah..and then there's Craigslist..

1000w ballasts (3 @ $100 each)

10" vortek inline fan...$150

two complete waterfarm 8 packs ($200 each) The price just went up to $479 for new 8 packs

Secret Jardin 5x5 grow tent ..$200

that's over $2000 dollars worth of equipment that I scored (with a little running around the Bay Area and legwork) for about $1000...

Atr this point I wouldn't change the things I listed above even if I were a millionare.. (I think I would always feel stupid paying full price for grow equipment in the Bay Area)

:)

cubby said:
I own my own business and my biggest worry is'nt even about me. If I went out of business tomorrow I'd be fine financialy but my employees wouldn't.
I have close to 100 families that depend on my opperational decisions everyday. I'm not some sunshine and butterflies kind of guy, I realise I alone can't save the economy, I'm just trying to keep my people fed, clothed and housed in a deteriorating social structure.
I think it's extreamly frustrating to see people who've worked thier entire life reach retirement age, then they can't retire because they are afraid of thier financial future.

You made me think of my boss/owner when you posted this. He kept us busy as long as he could, I spent the last 3 months before my lay-off sweeping floor, and going through boxes of "junk" organizing etc. The man was literally in tears when he had to come out and give us the news, appologizing that he had to do it so close to Christmas etc.

Thank you for your loyalty to your guys...I hope they appriciate it! Guys like you make guys like me want to give you 150% productivity! I only wish there were more guys like you...so many in the past did not even have the nerve to tell me themselves...sometimes a simple "nice job" or "Thank you" are better than a raise!

Latest posts

Back