IMPORTANT WARNING (Especially for Rookies)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonwolf

Unrepentant Hippie
Reaction score
Here's a topic that I don't see mentioned here much (maybe I'm the only one who is stupid enough to need it) but it's one that is critically important:

If you're growing under HID lamps, make sure you protect your eyes. I'm on my third grow and have not been exactly rigorous in this area. The result is that I've now noticed a distinct deterioration in my vision, especially my night vision.

Don't spend significant amounts of time in your room when the lights are on. If you've got work to do, get a green light for your room and wait until "night time." If you must go in while the lights are on, get protective eye wear.

This thing we all share is truly wonderful. This is one of the few drawbacks (besides inopportune encounters with law enforcement) but it's one that's easily avoidable. There's no upside to screwing around with this but potentially there's plenty of downside.

As Stan Lee used to say back in the old days,"'Nuff said."

Word! I wonder if my T5's are as destructive to the cornia's? I do use protection btw, just wondering.

I totally agree Winston, and unfortunatly, I am living proof.
I have been working with HID's for many years, and ,well I'll just say pretty much never, do I wear sunglasses. Sad to say. I have been tryin' latly to wear em.
But yes, I have to wear glasses at night for driving and reading. I am positicve it was due to too many hours of unprotected vision in a grow room.

Also remember guys, if your over 40 your eyes start to get worse. I have 20/20 vision, but I have to use reading glasses. I'm 48. My dad (GOD REST HIS SOUL) told me "When you hit 40, it all goes to ****. First it's your eyes, second your hair, third your hearing & forth mister happy is not so happy anymore. If you know what I mean. I,ll be damed if he wasn't right. It's all cool though, I've got my grow.

ya know,... i never really give it much thought to protect my eyes but after i built my new light hood last night wit 14 CFL's under it when i take a look under it.... holayyy talk bout burn ya cornea lol. i got pair shades hangin up in there now after readin this.

DLM3 said:
Also remember guys, if your over 40 your eyes start to get worse. I have 20/20 vision, but I have to use reading glasses. I'm 48. My dad (GOD REST HIS SOUL) told me "When you hit 40, it all goes to ****. First it's your eyes, second your hair, third your hearing & forth mister happy is not so happy anymore. If you know what I mean. I,ll be damed if he wasn't right. It's all cool though, I've got my grow.

I worked for an old guy once who said when you get older everything gets turned around--Your back gets stiff and your--AHEM, let's say your "callix" gets limp.:eek:
Man, I'm gonna get edited for sure, huh?

I may not be able to grow my hair back, but I can grow some mean weed. I'll just make a hair peace out of my next grow. You think anyone would notice?

PencilHead said:
Man, I'm gonna get edited for sure, huh?

And I know for a fact that you're not wild about being edited. (How do you think R.C. might polish up some of the posts here?)

Eh?? Wha?? What was that?? Oh yeah, and a life time of shooting and rock concerts won't make it any better!:hubba: Good post..

winstonwolf said:
And I know for a fact that you're not wild about being edited. (How do you think R.C. might polish up some of the posts here?)

She'd hurt some feelings for sure, the old bully. Actually, she'd mire the entire server down with:"What's that supposed to mean?"

Sorry for the inside joke, folks. Winston and I are friends on a-completely-nother level. I write pop-fiction and I had a publisher once who stuck me with an 80-something year old editor. It wasn't pretty, I assure you.

Latest posts

Back