In Montpelier, hearing set on pot decriminalization bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
MONTPELIER, Vt.—Vermonters get to weigh in this week on a bill before the Legislature that would decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana.

The state Senate Judiciary Committee plans a public hearing Wednesday on a measure that would make possession of four ounces or less punishable by a civil penalty instead of criminal prosecution. Also on the agenda: a bill that would stiffen the penalties for selling heroin and cocaine.

"I think both are public policy issues that ought to be explored," said state Sen. Richard Sears, D-Bennington, who chairs the committee.

Sen. Hinda Miller, one of the sponsors of the marijuana bill, said it would help Vermont courts focus on more important crimes if passed.

"It's time to be realistic and look at the world as it is," said Miller, D-Chittenden.

Winooski Police Chief Steve McQueen says marijuana cases aren't burdening the court system, and he says that as a practical matter, it would be hard for police officers -- who don't carry scales around with them -- to determine how much pot a person has just by looking at it.

Dr. Kathleen Daye, a retired physician from Waterbury, is among those who believe the drug should be decriminalized.

"I don't think it's harmful. It's not addictive. You cannot overdose. Its effect is temporary. It does not cause brain damage. It's more benign than alcohol," she said.

Sears said the amount that triggers criminal prosecution should be smaller.

"I'm leery of the amount being discussed," Sears said. "I would consider decriminalizing smaller amounts."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ve...er_hearing_set_on_pot_decriminalization_bill/

hopefully this will start a new trend on the east coast, we really need a state on this side of the country to get things moving.

I think this is good news hopefully like NewbieG said this will help with the pro-cannabis scene

Latest posts

Back