Introduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BigSur51 - Thank you for listening and for the length of time you must have listened. I'm not surprised by your comments as the station format is based on what Progressive Rock stations did back in the 70's (yeah I'm that old). I believe that every song we play sounds better when one is medicated, but tastes vary from person to person and there's likely to be some tunes that don't sound good to you. In a way, it's kind of like what radio was and actually in many ways, still is. We combine progressive rock, with folk and some of the tunes could be considered pop, but again, they sound better stoned than they do straight. Songs from Doobie Brothers, Alan Parsons, Inxs, REM, Bob Seger, David Bowie and the list goes on and on. All these artists had a bunch of Top-40 "Hits" but their songs are what I consider a necessity. If David Bowie ever did a crappy bubble-gum type of song, then it would NOT be included, Fashion, Ashes To Ashes, Absolute Beginners, Golden Years and Young Americans certainly sound good and qualify for this kind of format. It's a very thin wire we walk on and you are always free to request songs or make recommendations as to which songs you think we should be playing AND also, please recommend songs you think we shouldn't be playing. I look at everything that people recommend. Regarding the lack of commercials, we're not in this for the money, but for the pleasure of the listener. The only thing we do in the commercial realm is mention the source of a news story when we do a quick update about cannabis or when a business tunes us in, we thank them. I hope you'll continue to help us shape the stations sound because that's what we want to accomplish: a station built by listeners.

we all have different tastes in music and it looks like there is something for everyone at MMStation , from Bach to the Beatles

we listened to KRLA and KFWB and of course we tuned into the Wolfman Jack Show back in the 60’s in Southern California

mostly everything was AM but FM was getting started then

so yeah , i am gonna suggest more Classic Rock

i am also going to request more of the Cajun Sound , especially older stuff like Nathan Abshire and Dewy Balfa and Cleoma Falcon

and then there is the Mongolian Tuvan throat singers and bands like The Hu that are indeed universal music

,lots of stations to click on and explore so yeah , thanks for sharing

Got some funny stuff i can post. I have Amazon Music so i can listen to whatever i want.

I listen to Pandora while working in my grow. The songs that come on are the songs that I choose. I can change from one station to another in seconds. Classic vinyl, Outlaw Country and thumbprint are my go to stations. If something comes on I don't like I just give it the thumbs down and poof.👎

I am real particular in what I listen to. I hardly ever listen to the radio. Country music on the radio is nothing more that "Pretty Boys singing somebody elses songs." And they are gay. Hardly any women singing country music now days. All cross over s-hit. It mostly sucks. Carly Pierce and Ashley McBride are the only two that sound country.

One of my favorite Country singers is Dwight Yoakam
The band I used to be in covered a couple of his songs. He is not the worst actor in the world either. I thought he was great in Sling Blade. If someone messed up during band practice, guaranteed someone was gonna holler Damnit Randy, we ain’t got no band!

Yeah, that would be a problem, but I appreciate your upfront honesty. How long ago did you quit the biz? So many of my friends have given it up. Once corporations started buying up the business, radio was no longer fun. That's one of the reasons why I said goodbye to it full-time. I was also a single Dad and with a young child to take care of, I couldn't stay in a business where I didn't know where I was going to be working tomorrow. That's why I hopped over to TV and wouldn't you know it, about 3 years later the same crap started happening there too. I had about 10 years before retirement, so I joined a good friend and started selling products to radio stations. I still do it part-time and not setting the world on fire, but it gives me a reason to get up in the morning and I appreciate the comradery with the other sales guys. I work about 5 hours a week, but I spend about 40-50 hours a week on my radio station. I'm sorry, I'm rambling. I take Adderall because of my A-D-D, but it's basically a Dexi which makes me talk or type a lot. Here's a comic panel that sums up the radio biz.
Radio Heaven.png

You've got a face for radio.
Heard that a lot over the years. When you were in the biz and driving along in your car and all of sudden the station you were listening to was broadcasting dead air, did you turn up the volume and make any passengers shut up while you were just waiting to hear when something started playing or the even better when the jock opened his mic and rambled and stuttered while he was either trying to get a record or a CD cued up.

Heard that a lot over the years. When you were in the biz and driving along in your car and all of sudden the station you were listening to was broadcasting dead air, did you turn up the volume and make any passengers shut up while you were just waiting to hear when something started playing or the even better when the jock opened his mic and rambled and stuttered while he was either trying to get a record or a CD cued up.
I graduated from Columbia School of Broadcasting in 1974. I dabbled in the business for a couple of years. Unfortunately 10% if the people make 90% of the $$ in that business and I wasn't one of them. Drive time in a major market is where the money was. I wasn't good enough so I was starving in small markets. I did run a tight board though.

I graduated from Columbia School of Broadcasting in 1974. I dabbled in the business for a couple of years. Unfortunately 10% if the people make 90% of the $$ in that business and I wasn't one of them. Drive time in a major market is where the money was. I wasn't good enough so I was starving in small markets. I did run a tight board though.

yeah , i will wager that it was not this kind of tight

153152B5-8599-4641-9D24-53A29AC8538E.jpeg

What markets did you work in? I was all over New England after graduating from the Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I was in New London, CT, Westerly, RI, Manchester, NH, Barre, VT, Laconia, NH, Clearfield, PA, Johnstown, PA, New Haven, CT, Springfield, MA, Providence, RI, Portland, ME, and I finished in Naples/Ft. Myers, FL/

What markets did you work in? I was all over New England after graduating from the Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I was in New London, CT, Westerly, RI, Manchester, NH, Barre, VT, Laconia, NH, Clearfield, PA, Johnstown, PA, New Haven, CT, Springfield, MA, Providence, RI, Portland, ME, and I finished in Naples/Ft. Myers, FL/
I wasn't willing to move out of my home state. Plus I was money motivated and it wasn't there for me in broadcasting.

Latest posts

Back