Is it too late to tranplant my rosebush into the ground?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
:yeahthat:

Rosebud, would you happen to know?

Now my parents bought this rose bush as a wedding present but I've yet to xplant it into the ground.

They bought me a big bag of manure and of course I have quite a few bags of FFOF that I won't be using in the forseeable future.

First Question: Is it too late to xplant into the ground, maybe giving her some B1 too minimize shock?

Second Question: When making the hole for it, would it first be manure, then soil, then rosebush?

thank you for the input.

Im gonna let Rose tell ya....I know she grew them...I never could grow roses

Yea, something i know about.

Yes, you can plant now. Make the hole big. Add to the native soil a little ffof. I wouldn't add the manure now but top dress it in the spring with that. Make that hole deep enough that you can bury the graft if it is a grafted rose bush. It will do great.
Rose mojo from rose.
If you have questions please ask.

The b1 is a good idea and sure won't hurt a thing.

Rosebud said:
Yea, something i know about.

Yes, you can plant now. Make the hole big. Add to the native soil a little ffof. I wouldn't add the manure now but top dress it in the spring with that. Make that hole deep enough that you can bury the graft if it is a grafted rose bush. It will do great.
Rose mojo from rose.
If you have questions please ask.

The b1 is a good idea and sure won't hurt a thing.

thank you so much Rose, you're awesome! K, i'll do that.

oh and its a potted rose bush (~4 gallons i'm thinkin')

something called a red cocoa? i think...at least thats what the flowers are colored. I'll look at the tag around the base tonight.

yes, it's really beautiful, my mom's got a good eye for color

I love that rose. It is a beauty. I have a minature named teddy bear that is that color. Your mom has good taste. It is a high rated one too.

My dad sent me a rose a while before he died, that was twenty years ago and I still think of him of course every year when it blooms. It is a nice memory.

I know I really appreciate it. I killed the rhody the gave me tho :(

thanks for the help rosebud, I appreciate it greatly.

Hello 7 here is my input for your transplanting you want to make the hole 2 - 3 times bigger all around , then add good soil a soil that will drain very well stay away from high nitrogen content fertilizers for use with roses.
How you fertilize your roses depends on what stage of the growing process your roses are at. If you are fertilizing newly planted roses you should only use bone meal or super phosphate (very small amount) in the planting hole at the time of planting. You certainly do not want to promote a lot of green growth at the expense of a good root system.
Your basic rose feeding program should start out with a balanced fertilizer (10-10-10), or one with a high phosphorous content (5-10-5, 10-20-10). Even better are rose fertilizers, which include the other macro and micronutrients. believe it or not MG makes a pretty good readily available fertilizers at a decent cost , In my opinion
Roses are not drought tolerant plants, they really love water but how much
remember good draining soils and waterings every day - 2 days is needed if your outside temps get cold ?? water less
you should try to water any outdoor plants early morning or at sun set 7 - 9 pm
Protecting your roses during winter months or excessive cold temps , get big styro foam box , or card board what ever make sure there are holes near bottom and some holes all over as plants need to breath , this is where many roses don;t make there second year and die off
Hope this helps you out

wow, what a great posting Dr fever. It says I can't REP ya yet,

right on, thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate it. :)

7greeneyes said:
wow, what a great posting Dr fever. It says I can't REP ya yet,

right on, thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate it. :)

No problem buddy its what i do for a living lol :hubba: been in the botanic gardening industry well over 25 years owner :) i got another month and change then its cloneing / seeding 300,000 plants for spring sales

Latest posts

Back