Just another crappie Monday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvthis

Oh look, boobs!
Reaction score
Hit two dredger ponds, and this is how my week started ;) First pond put out an unexpected 3lb LMB, which was a blast on 4lb test (sorry, camera was in the truck. Take my word for it, there are huge bass in this pond that make 3lb-ers look like dinkers) But, I was packing lite for slabs today.. This pond is pretty good for papermouths, although not like the big pond.. Took these slabs and bulls while trolling. I try to locate the schools this way, but it don't always work.. Them bullgills have a way of keeping you preoccupied.

2012_0702Jul2-20120002.JPG

Hit the big pond in hopes of a better slab bite. This pond is much shallower then the other, with flats and rock piles dominating half of it. It's a little easier to key into drop offs, but the weeds are pretty profuse, and weed lines can be really confusing to follow. It was really windy out and I think that may have kept the schools pushed down or loosened and scattered. No more than 2 bites at any given spot.. Ended up just trolling here as well.. I love this place. It's roughly rectangular in shape. At 1 mile long and about a 1/3 mile across, there's LOTS of opportunity. I've seen bodies of water called lakes smaller than this place ;) What a day for fishin'. The moon said it all. It was probably 80 degrees by 10pm..

Anywho... What are YOU doing for the week of the forth???

2012_0702Jul2-20120023.JPG

2012_0702Jul2-20120032.JPG

2012_0702Jul2-20120028.JPG

Beautiful haul NV. Dont think Ive ever caught any freshwater fish that colorful and bright before.
Some mornings I go out trying to catch croakers. But all Ive been managing is a bunch of perch. Which is the one fish I happen to not care for to much. lol

Anywho... WHat are YOU doing for the week of the forth???

Im in DC... So getting hammered and hitting the fireworks shows all week.
Tomorrow will be out on the boat for the greatest firework display of them all.

It's cool how pretty and colorful the sunfishes really are. They look darn right tropical to me. Second haul of the day..

Well, there ya go.. A day of hot summer pan fishin'. All there is to do now is fry in oil and enjoy ;)

2012_0702Jul2-20120020.JPG

2012_0702Jul2-20120022.JPG

2012_0702Jul2-20120036.JPG

2012_0702Jul2-20120004.JPG

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Beautiful haul NV. Dont think Ive ever caught any freshwater fish that colorful and bright before.
Some mornings I go out trying to catch croakers. But all Ive been managing is a bunch of perch. Which is the one fish I happen to not care for to much. lol

Sounds like fun, Spear.. Some of my absolute favorite for the table here are the perches ;) They make the best tacos!

2012_0527May27-20120002.JPG

Hamster Lewis said:
Nice and yum....:)

What they catching up your way? Rocks running up there in the cooler waters?
Cause they sure as hell arent anywhere around the Potomac or Bay atm.

Fish on Nvthis

we are going to Rays for BBQ and BANG Bang...

:48:

Fun Fun then to the Yum Yum!

Awesome on that bass, bet it was a freaking fight! On 4 lb. WOW

tcbud said:
Fun Fun then to the Yum Yum!

Awesome on that bass, bet it was a freaking fight! On 4 lb. WOW

Yeah, when it's like that, it's definitely best to just hang on and hope the fish gets tired before diving into the weeds.. But, like I said, there are some real cows in there. Big enough that it would be a complete lost cause on 4lb test ;)

Personally though, I think the spots are best in every aspect. They fight like SMB, taste like bluegill, and are gregarious to the point of being a pest. Now, if they could only get as big as LMB, that would be something...

Hey TC, you guys use the Gulp! Minnows yet? Man, those things are like fire in the water. They catch everything.. I like to use 1/16oz heads and that seems to give them just the right shake. The gills will bite the tails off, but everything else swallows them whole ;)

Nice haul nv:aok:

Up here on the big lake the fish have started moving to deeper water. Still hauling in hogs though.

OK, I have this gigacraving for bass and bluegill now, and a Bangles song banging away inside my skull (guess which one?).

Hey, for you eastern guys... I hear walleye beats 'em all on the table.. I've never tried one, but I hear they are really good.

YYZ Skinhead said:
OK, I have this gigacraving for bass and bluegill now, and a Bangles song banging away inside my skull (guess which one?).

I cant stand Manic Monday... Why did you even have to mention it?
Now I have to find something as equally annoying but like more to get that one out my head. :p

Ahhh. Found it... Vacation all I ever wanted by the GoGos.
Yes, Wash that manic monday right on out my head. :laugh:

nvthis said:
Hey, for you eastern guys... I hear walleye beats 'em all on the table.. I've never tried one, but I hear they are really good.

Its Croaker Rock and Blues for me.

For me. If you take a scale like the acid base scale for fish flavor. And at one end you had extreme signature fish flavor like salmon and tuna, and the other end you had fishy fish flavor. Walleye falls in the middle for me cause it doesnt carry that signature flavor, and it isnt as fishy as I like either.
But maybe thats why some like it so much. Its rich in flavor without it being to fishy.

nvthis said:

Those walleyes are mighty tasty, just need to be sure to get the mud vein out on the big ones.

Had some Bluegill that was caught through the ice then filleted. Breading was put on them and into the oil. They were like eating potato chips"You can't eat just One" by the time I looked down I ate nearly 40+ of these fish chips.ummmm good

i love walleye, i think we call them pickerel up here, i could be wrong, great tasting but not much of a fight compared to a bass.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
If you take a scale like the acid base scale for fish flavor. And at one end you had extreme signature fish flavor like salmon and tuna, and the other end you had fishy fish flavor. Walleye falls in the middle for me cause it doesnt carry that signature flavor, and it isnt as fishy as I like either.
But maybe thats why some like it so much. Its rich in flavor without it being to fishy.

Very interesting.. And I know just what you mean. When I go out for sushi, this is exactly why I go for the salmon. Wether it's salmon cuts, crispy salmon skin or sake toro (salmon belly, almost as strong tasting as the fried skin) I really look forward to that powerful, salmon-y flavor...

PC, my 7 year old daughter is about the pickiest kid I know, but she'll put away fried Bluegill by the pound ;)

Walleye (Sander vitreus, formerly Stizostedion vitreum) is a freshwater perciform fish native to most of Canada and to the northern United States. It is a North American close relative of the European pikeperch. The walleye is sometimes also called the yellow walleye to distinguish it from the blue walleye, which is an extinct subspecies formerly found in the southern Great Lakes.
In some parts of its range, the walleye is known as the colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is not related to other species of pikes which are members of the family Esocidae

Correct you are, dman, my friend!!

I love walleye; catching or eating!! Tons in the lake here, as well as musky, pike, bass and all the panfish. Gar pike as long as 6' in the lake....

Latest posts

Back