LED lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent post LaserK !!!!

Thanks for doing the research.

LED's will grow a fine crop of buds, but the initial cost factor is the thing blocking their sale right now. Not many people can come up with several thousand dollars just for lighting.

Heck, a lot of people have problems affording HPS lights and only use about half what they should to maximize their crops.

I'll be waiting for that price to come down.

Found something that looks pretty darn cool.

They're called "fuzzlights". Basically they're 4ft LED tubes that will fit into your standard 4ft fluroescent tube fixtures. As all LEDs are...they're friggin expensive. Each of these LED tubes is going to cost you $150 bones. If you buy 10 bulbs at once they cut the price to $100 a piece for an even thousand. I think with 10 of these you could get some pretty nice results. They pop these up on ebay time to time for $125 and if you buy 2 they give you a 4ft fixture.

Here is the info straight off their website www.fuzzlight.com

A 10 bulb array will have the growing power of a 5000w HID bulb. only consume 150 watts and cover a 4x4 area.

(I don't think it's anywhere near 5000w growing power. These guys are mostly using gorilla math to figure all this out and make their stuff sound like the holy grail of indoor grow lights.)

a 100 bulb array can be built to cover a 40x4 foot array and use only 1500 watts.

FUZZLIGHT SPECS:

15 watt per bulb

t8 socket

1.2m long 3.5 cm wide

fits in 4 foot fluorescent lamp fixtures

2:1 red blue standard led ratio

220 470nm leds for flowering

110 635nm leds for vegetative growth

best color ratio for flowring plants

according to universiyt research blue lights cause flowering earlier while maintaining " fruit size"

(They fail to mention which university actually did this research and post a link to read about their findings)

Each LED produces 20-25millicandela of illumination

Easy to install and no voltage transformers

voltage Range

AC 70-240V 60hz/50hz runs direct from line current.

led light7.jpg

led light8.jpg

led light9.jpg

brouli

Yup, I was actually going to buy two sets of 7 and one extra blue and one more extra red. I'll have a total of 16 LED fixtures to position around my plant. On some occassions that company will release a full set of 7 on ebay starting for $1. By the end they usually get up around $120. Still better than paying the full $180 though.

Interesting find LaserKittens. I'll read up on those when I get a chance. I did notice that the wavelength for the red seems a little short. From what I've read, it should be around 660 nm.

Like you said, they are expensive. I can't get them anyway, my grow room is only 34 inches x 34 inches.

Yeah, I'm not to sure how well those work. Only way to find out is if someone tries it out.

I'm more interested in using the type that you have. By the way, what kind are yours? Your plant seems to be doing great under those 4. I'm seriously thinking about buying 16 giant growtek fixtures.

edit: What kind of socket fixtures do you use? You seem to be able to keep those lights pointed right where you want. Was wondering what you were using.

LaserKittensGoPewPew said:
Yeah, I'm not to sure how well those work. Only way to find out is if someone tries it out.

I'm more interested in using the type that you have. By the way, what kind are yours? Your plant seems to be doing great under those 4. I'm seriously thinking about buying 16 giant growtek fixtures.

edit: What kind of socket fixtures do you use? You seem to be able to keep those lights pointed right where you want. Was wondering what you were using.

Yeah, mine are from gro-tek. Their auctions on ebay are very popular. I keep loosing. Might have to do a "Buy-It-Now." They do that sometimes.

I see you want to buy their big ones. That should work out better. The ones I have are just for very small grows (like the 16 oz. cup grow).

The lighting fixtures are just some cheap ones I bought at the hardware store. They have little metal brackes on them that are suppose to attach to a threaded rod for a hanging light. I just screwed through the hole into the side of my box and bent the bracket to aim at the plant. I think the fixtures cost $1.50 each (approx).

I really would like to see more people growing with LEDs. The prices seem to be coming down quickly. I think in a couple of years, it just might be cost effective.

I recently read something very interesting on another site. They were saying that you need to have some light in the "deep red" spectrum to flower the plants properly. Somewhere around 730 nm (that's almost infrared). My lights don't have any LEDs that low. They were recommending turning on a Halogen light for the last 15 minutes of "daylight." That is suppose to alert that plant that night is coming (or something like that, I'm a little high, so I don't remember everything). I am guessing a CFL will do the same thing. I will mount one in the box this weekend.

AlienBait said:
I recently read something very interesting on another site. They were saying that you need to have some light in the "deep red" spectrum to flower the plants properly. Somewhere around 730 nm (that's almost infrared). My lights don't have any LEDs that low. They were recommending turning on a Halogen light for the last 15 minutes of "daylight." That is suppose to alert that plant that night is coming (or something like that, I'm a little high, so I don't remember everything). I am guessing a CFL will do the same thing. I will mount one in the box this weekend.

Halogen lights are almost worthless to plants and will harm them. Lights with the far red spectrum also do nothing for a plant grown under lights in a grow room. Plants will s-t-r-e-t-c-h when they "see" far red. This is because far red light is reflected, not used, by plants. This is NOT what you want your plants to do.

"Far-red light is reflected. Far-red is just outside the visible light spectrum. It is not visible to the human eye, but can be sensed by the plant. Far-red wavelengths are important to the plant because of the competition factor in nature. A plant can "SEE" when there are other plants close by because of the increase of far-red wavelengths the other plants reflect. This will then signal the plant to make the necessary adjustments within their system to try to outgrow the others around them since they are competing for sunlight and other resources."

but how would you control the spectrum of blue and red with LEDs?

is there a way to control the intensity of each or what

Hey Brouli thanks for the link. They seem to be very inexpensive there.

GrungBuk said:
but how would you control the spectrum of blue and red with LEDs?

is there a way to control the intensity of each or what

just add more blue to red. NASA found a good ratio of blue to red lights. Unfortunately I don't know what that ratio is.

i can get leds' 4 that equal a thousand for 800 bucks but they all run off of one ballist theres no heat the electric bill is a joke a friend of mine uses them and his n odes are super tight the lights are working great

Latest posts

Back